Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2421803 times)

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft: Like Infiniminer but in Java and in Alpha
« Reply #1125 on: February 27, 2010, 10:42:42 am »

Here, try some infinite maps

There’s a lot of bugs and a lot of missing features, but here, have some infinite maps:

http://www.minecraft.net/infdev/index.jsp

_please_ don’t report bugs in this yet, I am aware that it’s extremely buggy.

From my highly scientific experiments, I think depth of 256 should be enough for almost all purposes (that’s the same depth as a deep map), but this version is only depth 128.

Making a fast and interesting level generator for this is going to be very fun, I’m really looking forward to it.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Dr. Johbson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: February 27, 2010, 01:07:57 pm »

Here, try some infinite maps

There’s a lot of bugs and a lot of missing features, but here, have some infinite maps:

http://www.minecraft.net/infdev/index.jsp

_please_ don’t report bugs in this yet, I am aware that it’s extremely buggy.

From my highly scientific experiments, I think depth of 256 should be enough for almost all purposes (that’s the same depth as a deep map), but this version is only depth 128.

Making a fast and interesting level generator for this is going to be very fun, I’m really looking forward to it.

That was a long two months.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: February 27, 2010, 01:15:33 pm »

I'm sure he meant without bugs when he said that; we're still missing most of the features.

Dr. Johbson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: February 27, 2010, 01:23:37 pm »

I'm sure he meant without bugs when he said that; we're still missing most of the features.

I realized that, yeah, but I still find it pretty funny.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: February 27, 2010, 02:37:21 pm »

I realized that, yeah, but I still find it pretty funny.

I was actually going to post that, too. Beat me to the punch.  :D

I'm still disappointed about the limited fog distance, but I guess I can live with that - higher fog distance now entails more server load sending a larger chunk of the map (or it will once the game goes MP!), instead of just higher graphics processing requirements. And being able to spread out and explore would be really interesting - not to mention, I don't know any other first-person games that dynamically generate map space as you need it!

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: February 27, 2010, 02:44:20 pm »

I get the feeling that the fog distance will increase as he comes up with something that improves the system. He did it with lighting enough that day and night could work, sort of.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: February 27, 2010, 02:52:41 pm »

I get the feeling that the fog distance will increase as he comes up with something that improves the system. He did it with lighting enough that day and night could work, sort of.

I actually just tried infdev...

...and it looks like I'm going to have to eat my words. You can have any fog distance you want, at least at the moment. The only drawback is that you can see the terrain popping into existence at the max. distance.

Sweet!

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #1132 on: February 27, 2010, 03:13:52 pm »

It'll be neat to play infinite floating... Jump off an edge and see how long you can avoid incoming continents...
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: February 27, 2010, 03:48:01 pm »

It'll be neat to play infinite floating... Jump off an edge and see how long you can avoid incoming continents...
Fixed depth as I understand it, unfortunately.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: February 27, 2010, 03:58:42 pm »

Fixed depth as I understand it, unfortunately.

Yeah... *sniffle*.

It's an issue with the lighting code - the lighting code is very insistent on knowing how high columns are, probably so it knows what tiles to illuminate during the day. So Notch has a fixed depth (currently 256, same as deep maps). Hopefully that'll change, but it's not in Notch's immediate plans, AFAIK.

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mutant Cheese Monster
    • View Profile
    • Anilist
« Reply #1135 on: February 27, 2010, 06:16:19 pm »

So, I just got this game, and have been playing /indev a bunch. Its very, very awesome.  ;D
Quote from: Vilien
Yes, you should always apply more magma.

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: March 02, 2010, 07:22:08 pm »

...It appears he has some work to do with water on infdev. If you generate an island map (say, with all the level settings at default), you get an island map with almost everything underwater.

EDIT:
Upon further investigation, it appears that water is just kinda fundamentally broken. It doesn't flow. You can dig holes in the bottom of the ocean and step into them to breathe, or you can burrow underneath the ocean to clear away the water. It's kinda cool, and really odd.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 07:41:14 pm by Xgamer4 »
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: March 02, 2010, 07:45:41 pm »

Damn I wish I had gotten a gift game when the promotion was going on... Does anyone somehow still have a free game from the Christmas special?

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: March 02, 2010, 10:29:33 pm »

Yeah, the current water system fails hard - there's no flow period:'(

Notch would really, really like a system that could simulate waterfalls and such... but he's having a tough time finding a system that can tell when to make a waterfall and when to fill a pit. A system like DF's provides the most obvious solution (namely, emulate actual water!), but would prove too laggy when you've got a massive infinite map!

Although I can tell you that not all Island maps are underwater - I just genned one with almost no water in sight. "Island" should be changed to read "Islands". The issue is, the spawner doesn't bother checking whether your spawn point is actually on one of those islands!

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: March 04, 2010, 04:06:25 am »

Found a massive cave underground while playing InDev. I stumbled upon it digging, no monsters, I ringed a part of it with torches. One way it leads to magma in the barely-visible-through-the-dark distance, and the other I cannot see because of the dark. Large iron deposits and coal deposits, have not found much else apart from scattered gold deposits.

EDIT: Alright discovered the whole of the main cavern, including past the lava. It's pretty big. To liberally illuminate the whole cave I used 192 torches. Found hell of alot of deposits, few higher than iron/gold. Found exactly 3 diamond blocks, so far. Still have to search through the adjoining caverns.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 04:27:01 am by Emperor_Jonathan »
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 1380