Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2421758 times)

Gauphastus

• Bay Watcher
  • y hello der
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft: Like Infiniminer but in Java and in Alpha
« Reply #1110 on: February 25, 2010, 12:04:04 am »

Starting to see a few familiar faces over at the Minecraft forums.
It's good too. With more level-headed folks hanging around there, the place might become much more bearable. ¬_¬

Just played on a server briefly with a legolord, though I dunno if it was the same dude from here.  :P

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: February 25, 2010, 01:10:28 am »

Yeah, the crafting only makes sense after you see it once.  I'll just crib all this from the Wiki, because it's all there too (I think Notch updates it himself as a manual).

First, open your inventory (press - i -).  Then, place a unit of log in one of the four spaces right of your picture.  That'll make wood, put that in your inventory.  Then, place one unit of wood in each of the four squares, that makes a workbench.

Place the workbench like a block, right-click on it, and you can make larger stuff with the 3x3 grid.  In general, crafting works by arranging component bits in the shape of the object you're making.  But it's so opaque until you see it once, you might as well check the Crafting page on the Wiki.

I really, really think Notch should just provide crafting recipes - trying to guess what pattern of blocks gives what results is frustrating at best.

The wiki's crafting page is http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Crafting - it'll save you a few pages of searching, plus the main wiki page is unbearably slow to load.  ;D

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: February 25, 2010, 01:12:24 am »

Those forums make me an asshole. I really should not be there, yet I go there all the time. All it brings me is anger and frustration as people misread eachother, suggest utter crap to be added and use language and grammar that merely suggesting that English as a second language can't solve. And because of that I am particularly sarcastic about things.

Like this crap.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: February 25, 2010, 01:35:56 am »

Those forums make me an asshole. I really should not be there, yet I go there all the time. All it brings me is anger and frustration as people misread eachother, suggest utter crap to be added and use language and grammar that merely suggesting that English as a second language can't solve. And because of that I am particularly sarcastic about things.

Like this crap.

Rule number 1 of the internet: You cannot change people's minds.

It doesn't matter how much you beg, plead, intimidate, threaten, demand, insist, or compel - the average forum-goer on the web is dumber than a post (and has similar typing skills), and they won't listen to reason. Or pay attention to it, for that matter. I've just learned to ignore the chaff when possible, and do my damnedest not to become the chaff.

I was, however, amused by the sheer number of people that read your post and completely missed the sarcasm (notwithstanding the fact that you explicitly wrote a disclaimer stating you were being sarcastic). Internet at its finest.  ::)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: February 25, 2010, 01:37:28 am »

Everyone has that one forum where they think they acted like idiots. I have one forum and about three blogs and counting.

I'm rather proud of myself.

Gauphastus

• Bay Watcher
  • y hello der
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: February 25, 2010, 03:45:01 am »

Yeah, man. Duke knows how it is. I know how you feel too. I'd love to help the place out a bit, help those guys come into their own, but it's just... eugh.

Best I could do for awhile was become a lurking reportfag, but that went south. The mods, though well-meaning, tend to storm in and overreact to the situation. Ends up causing more trouble for the community in the end; the more reports they get, the tighter they might clamp down. Perfectly innocent banter might end up with everyone in the thread receiving a warning.  ::)
Then there's the whole "backseat moderating" thing. You know, the one with the wild, flailing boundaries nobody can actually get a read on.

So I pretty much just let it all slide through now. I've relegated myself to posting generic comments with everybody else, and only occasionally.

Got a bit of an axe to grind there I guess.. but sometimes I think it'd be better if I just stuck to a place I know is rock-solid.
Like here, with you guys!  :-*

TLDR: Minecraft game is fun. Minecraft forums not so much fun.
Have a comic I drew.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 05:44:01 am by Gauphastus »

tp12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: February 25, 2010, 08:18:37 am »

Ohh, I got something cool.
Behold! My cavern of underwater magma!
Untill recently, before stocks ran out, it rained cats and dogs in my fortress...

Dr. Johbson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: February 25, 2010, 08:28:28 am »

Like this crap.

:'(  Those forums sure make me sad. So, very, sad. That's all I can really say. I've posted there twice.

Ohh, I got something cool.
Behold! My cavern of underwater magma!

That's actually quite common, somehow, but I still don't recommend swimming over it.  :P

tp12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: February 25, 2010, 09:00:43 am »

Are caves always this huge? Man... thats gonna take some time to light up...
Untill recently, before stocks ran out, it rained cats and dogs in my fortress...

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: February 25, 2010, 09:09:09 am »

Caverns are iffy to me. They go a good distance, but are not terribly large. They are basically a bunch of tubes going through the bedrock. I would like to see some actual caverns generated.

As it stands as long as you place a torch every few tiles you should be fine.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.

Someguyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: February 25, 2010, 10:31:22 am »

I have had a tall cavern one time, but I didn't get to appreciate it since I fell into it from above and died from fall damage.

Ssiissuu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: February 25, 2010, 06:01:23 pm »

*snip to avoid a quote wall*
TLDR: Minecraft game is fun. Minecraft forums not so much fun.
Have a comic I drew.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You have the right of it. There are names I recognize from my lurking of these here environs, on the Minecraft boards and often they are seas of calm in what is otherwise a storm of senseless posts and rabid attacks, I am struck dumb at the sheer number of repeat posts and complete garbage posts present on those boards. There are 11 topics on the first page of the Indev board alone detailing the same arguments for and against infinite maps, each one following the course of the other existing topics, it makes it a rather schizophrenic effort to keep abreast of the direction the Minecraft community is taking on the alleged issues. I for one have given up.

In the interim, I'll continue looking for a deep floating map that spawns a more reasonable amount of gravel and sand than is currently my net result.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: February 26, 2010, 01:01:32 pm »

Do note there ARE awesome people on those forums.

Dr. Johbson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: February 26, 2010, 09:42:22 pm »

Do note there ARE awesome people on those forums.

I'd play any game with that ad.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: February 27, 2010, 07:34:29 am »

Iiiiiiironnnnnnny.

Wait no.

Eeeeeevonyyyyyy.
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 1380