Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2421851 times)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft: Like Infiniminer but in Java and in Alpha
« Reply #1080 on: February 21, 2010, 11:56:53 am »

If Toady One were to release Dwarf Fortress in its unfinished state now, that would be the equivalent to Minecrafts Indev. It is basically a sneak peek for paying users.

Also, Notch is a little bad at playing his game. Alright, not bad, but he is making a lot of mistakes. Still, that makes a good stream.

THERE IS A VEIN OF DIAMOND RIGHT THERE!
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: February 21, 2010, 12:15:38 pm »

NOTCH YOU IDIOT YOU MISSED THE DIAMOND!

he he he ...

Chicken Launcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Poultry Technician
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: February 21, 2010, 05:06:08 pm »

I lol'd when he ran past about 5 coal deposits placing torches, and when he ran out of torches he genuinely wondered where to find coal.
"Did you ever notice any time you see two groups of people who really hate each other, chances are good they’re wearing different kinds of hats? Keep an eye on that, it might be important." - George Carlin

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #1083 on: February 21, 2010, 05:19:04 pm »

A spider knocked me into the lava off the coast and I couldn't make it back to shore in time...
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: February 21, 2010, 05:22:10 pm »

Hell maps suck.  By the way, where the crap do you get flint from?  I've tried everything, and finally gave up and checked the wiki.  It says you can mine them from gravel, but I've torn apart whole beaches of gravel and not found a piece of flint yet.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: February 21, 2010, 05:28:19 pm »

I got it from gravel before. The best advice I can give is place a bunch of gravel and mine it out again.
 Which works somehow.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: February 21, 2010, 09:53:47 pm »

I got it from gravel before. The best advice I can give is place a bunch of gravel and mine it out again.
 Which works somehow.

I noticed a few days ago that remining gravel worked... but then I tried it again, in a game I ran today, and I just couldn't get flint from re-placed gravel.

That said, I got flint after mining ~10 natural gravel tiles, so it doesn't appear to be broken. Also, I'd point out that flint is now useless unless you're a pyromaniac. :D

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: February 21, 2010, 10:11:48 pm »

Also, I'd point out that flint is now useless unless you're a pyromaniac. :D
Are you implying that some people aren't? Madness!
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: February 21, 2010, 10:15:41 pm »

Notch is considering infinite maps people. Discuss.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: February 21, 2010, 10:18:29 pm »

That could be interesting from a technical standpoint. I would like to know how that could be done without infinite maps = infinite lag/save size.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: February 21, 2010, 10:38:54 pm »

Eh, I'm not enthusiastic. It's a neat idea, but...

Quote from: Notch
The fog would have to get shorter, probably maxed out at around the second longest view distance now.

"Oh, this is bad!"

I can't stand even the first level of fog, let alone a permanent second-level fog bank.

I'm also not thrilled about the gameworld not updating when you get far enough away. It seems kind of arbitrary - you could have half a forest grow and half a forest remain as saplings, and the reason would be which side of a 64x64x64 block (with invisible boundaries) the sapling was planted in.

And I don't know about the benefits. If a map is large enough, you'll almost never run out of 'stuff' anyways. I suppose it might be worthwhile for absolutely huge megaprojects on extremely long-lived servers, and I admit that it'd ensure that you couldn't seal the map off from monsters, but waiting 2 months for a rewrite would be a pain, and I just don't know if the benefits are worth such a huge wait. Especially since it would likely delay multi-player mode.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: February 22, 2010, 07:21:20 am »

Alright folks, I'm starting to get some ideas here. For one, I'll need a space ship. A large one. I'm thinking two-hundred tile length minimum here. The idea is to take this into indev and edit the map type to floating island. Then I'll just place some supplies needed for indev playing and we have survival on a derelict ship.
 Of course, now that this idea is present all the space build servers are gone. But I'm sure somebody has a ship I can use for this project.

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: February 22, 2010, 07:44:53 am »

As I said on the comments of the poll, the whole "not updating things too far away" seems silly, at least for farms and sprouts. Updating everything real-time would be very resource-heavy, sure, but keeping track of the time elapsed since the player left the area and then updating when the player re-enter it wouldn't probably be THAT difficult.  With a bit of creativeness, you could even do it for fire or water displacement, or monster birth / death. Then again you could always have a way to select the number of "region" to be updated real-time, accordingly to your computer's specs.

But as I think of it, he mentioned several interesting ideas : the concept of procedurally generated NPC towns would be awesome. Just imagine a couple of basic wooden buildings (that's already ingame with the "Spawn hut"), with a wall around and maybe some farm tiles in the vicinity, and some "Villager" NPCs who roam around and "Guard" NPCs who attack you if you destroy a block of the city or kill a villager. Then some buildings could have chests with riches and useful materials inside, effectively making it possible to raid towns, plunder the coffers and burn the city after killing everyone who crossed your path. And then to proceed to the next town. Awesome !

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: February 22, 2010, 11:36:55 am »

What about burying them? I'd totally do that.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: February 22, 2010, 01:31:46 pm »

Can I buy like, a prepaid paypal card or something in walmart, then use it to pay for minecraft?

I don't have a credit card.
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 1380