Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 654 655 [656] 657 658 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2420997 times)

Derekristow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #9825 on: June 02, 2011, 04:04:19 am »

Industrial Craft updated to 1.6.6, and has gotten a few hotfixes out now.  Seems like a good time to get back into it, and Duke's making me want to try out an automated IC+BC factory.  With fillers, a fully automated, self expanding mining complex might be possible!  At this rate, Minecraft might just reach sentience before DF.
So my crundles are staying intact unless they're newly spawned... until they are exposed to anything that isn't at room temperature.  This mostly seems to mean blood, specifically, their own.  Then they go poof very quickly.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9826 on: June 02, 2011, 04:16:39 am »

Industrial Craft updated to 1.6.6, and has gotten a few hotfixes out now.
*mimics Soli's avatar*

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #9827 on: June 02, 2011, 10:32:56 am »

All I want for minecraft mods is an in-game UI to select a set of jar files. Ideally, any arbitrary set of new code and content could be packed up into a single file, put in a mod folder, and selectively loaded up.

From a technical standpoint, it's almost trivial.

This might be some feature creep- stuff like version checking, or maybe smart mod merging (for instance, if two mods add a new block, it should merge the new texture files. And more than that, if there's a block ID conflict, it might try to move one version to an empty space...)- but nothing besides enabling and disabling packed mods should be extremely easy to support.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #9828 on: June 02, 2011, 10:58:05 am »

All I want for minecraft mods is an in-game UI to select a set of jar files. Ideally, any arbitrary set of new code and content could be packed up into a single file, put in a mod folder, and selectively loaded up.

From a technical standpoint, it's almost trivial.

This might be some feature creep- stuff like version checking, or maybe smart mod merging (for instance, if two mods add a new block, it should merge the new texture files. And more than that, if there's a block ID conflict, it might try to move one version to an empty space...)- but nothing besides enabling and disabling packed mods should be extremely easy to support.

First of all, ModLoader does most of the important stuff there. Drop the .zip file into a ModLoader, assuming the mod is compatible with it (and most are), and it will do the smart mod merging stuff.

As for an in-game interface, that wouldn't work. The big pause at the beginning right after logging in (when the screen goes black for a couple seconds before the mojang logo is shown) is the time when the Minecraft files are loaded and such. Any mod loading has to take place before or during that time; any mod changes after that time would need the game to load those files again; which may not be anywhere near trivial. Especially since Minecraft doesn't normally support re-loading the files, and thus may not have any code for cleaning things up for such a process.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #9829 on: June 02, 2011, 11:01:32 am »

smart mod merging (for instance, if two mods add a new block, it should merge the new texture files. And more than that, if there's a block ID conflict, it might try to move one version to an empty space...)
A necessity. Modloader does the former by default, and there's (or at least, there used to be) a mod for it that does the latter.
He also needs to fix the implementation to remove the cap of 255 blocks, and 512 sprites (256 block, 256 item).
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9830 on: June 02, 2011, 11:31:40 am »

As for an in-game interface, that wouldn't work. The big pause at the beginning right after logging in (when the screen goes black for a couple seconds before the mojang logo is shown) is the time when the Minecraft files are loaded and such. Any mod loading has to take place before or during that time; any mod changes after that time would need the game to load those files again; which may not be anywhere near trivial. Especially since Minecraft doesn't normally support re-loading the files, and thus may not have any code for cleaning things up for such a process.

The mod selection could be in the launcher (via TES). Then it knows what mods to load, and loads them when it normally loads minecraft.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #9831 on: June 02, 2011, 11:35:46 am »

Regarding the adventure map: Server and thread. NAO!

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9832 on: June 02, 2011, 12:35:16 pm »

Regarding the adventure map: Server and thread. NAO!

I spent $600 on a new machine dedicated to running two servers. I am using a grandfathered-in capless web connection, without which the incremental upkeep would be very high. I have an only moderately OK server in terms of power and reliability.

These things aren't easy.

Now then, we have no idea what the 1.7 update will entail. I for one think combat is going to change. Maybe we'll get attack animations for monsters, and maybe we'll get a complete combat overhaul. We know he was discussing it. Also, maps might not even be compatible, going off of what he's mentioned in tweets.

It's not a good idea until we know a little more.

Now, if you want to work on a city project, check out my server and if you build good things, we'll let you into the project server.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9833 on: June 03, 2011, 01:09:21 pm »

So, in case you all have yet to hear, they finished building Earth.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9834 on: June 03, 2011, 01:27:53 pm »

You mean that one currently on the planehacked public server?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9835 on: June 03, 2011, 01:29:59 pm »

You mean that one currently on the planehacked public server?
I don't know, I can't log onto multiplayer anymore. It's outgrown my processing power.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9836 on: June 03, 2011, 09:22:23 pm »

This advanced nanosuit in industrialcraft is awesome...

Helm: Breathe underwater
Chest: Auto-healing
Legs: Super sprint
Boots: Super jump and fall damage nullification

Apparently these features use up a very small amount of power and don't work if the suit is under 33%.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9837 on: June 03, 2011, 09:58:19 pm »

Meh, looks like you can walk from one end of Florida to the other in a couple of minutes or less.

1 block = 1 nautical mile

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9838 on: June 04, 2011, 10:43:30 am »

Meh, looks like you can walk from one end of Florida to the other in a couple of minutes or less.

1 block = 1 nautical mile
There also seems to be no topography, no continental shelves.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9839 on: June 04, 2011, 04:14:21 pm »

Someone could make an ~1:1 sized world on minecraft and sell it for hard cash. People might even give up using the random world generator.
Pages: 1 ... 654 655 [656] 657 658 ... 1380