Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 615 616 [617] 618 619 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2418765 times)

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #9240 on: April 20, 2011, 08:22:10 pm »

I forced an update, but it still happens almost immediately.  However, I also noticed that my graphics card isn't spooling up its fan.  Weird.  I guess I'll have to reboot.
Some cheap cards don't turn the fan on until they're at a certain temperature (I say cheap not as in they're that easy to fuck up, cheap as in they don't use much power and thus don't give out much heat). Grab HWMonitor to check your temperatures. If it's bellow something like 40 and not spinning, don't worry. Worry if your temperatures are like 60 and still not spinning.

Also, Minecraft has an issue with video card memory. It will fill it up and then crash. If you run it from the console it will show up as a console error: OpenGL Error, memory full. Or something like that. The best way to counter is to not use the draw distance as far. My video card has almost 1gb of ram and it still crashes with far.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9241 on: April 20, 2011, 08:48:12 pm »

Gah, I wish some of these map editors were made for stupider people. I've got a design that I'd like to plunk out and innovate on a flatgrass with invedit before I devote time to doing it for real amongst interesting terrain.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9242 on: April 20, 2011, 09:53:23 pm »

Just make a terraformer, and a flat module for it.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9243 on: April 20, 2011, 10:09:33 pm »

If he's doing map editing I think he wants something easier than getting a mod so you can spend hours so you can slowly make the landscape capable of having you emulate Creative Mode.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #9244 on: April 20, 2011, 10:36:09 pm »

I forced an update, but it still happens almost immediately.  However, I also noticed that my graphics card isn't spooling up its fan.  Weird.  I guess I'll have to reboot.

You should try a program like RivaTuner or MSI Afterburner, which have manual overrides for fan settings. I run Afterburner constantly as a rule now because my card is a bit sluggish on deciding to spin up the fan and it works wonders. You can set a temperature curve to your liking fairly easily

poca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9245 on: April 20, 2011, 10:40:01 pm »

yea.. not to mention what happens to them if they get hit by lightning

Good point:  :(
http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Creeper#Electrified_Creepers

Tradanbattlan

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_DECENCY]
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #9246 on: April 20, 2011, 10:54:52 pm »

yea.. not to mention what happens to them if they get hit by lightning

Good point:  :(
http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Creeper#Electrified_Creepers
Do you think you know fear, Miner?
Let me tell you one thing.
Hate.
I hate every single piece of you.
My kind did all it could for generations to try and stop you.
But it all ends today.
Look around you.
This rainy plain is your resting place.
For I have the powers of nature now.
All gods are peeking over the clouds, watching this fight
And they bet on me.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #9247 on: April 20, 2011, 11:17:05 pm »

Did anybody else notice that creepers got griefier in a beta update? I used to think I could kill them with a sword and they wouldn't usually explode but when they did explode they would be close enough to do at least a few hearts unarmored damage. Now I can't kill them with a sword because they always blow up and destroy the landscape and are only close enough to do half a heart unarmored damage. I'll still fight them with a sword after I've lured them into water but they'll kill themselves in a BOOM.
I think I recall reading in the Minecraft Wiki that Creepers now mimic the voices of other monsters. It was bad enough when they were silent, but now they can trick you into being falsely prepared to fight a different creature, only to welcomed wit--BOOM!!!

Let's not forget, if you have a tamed wolf, I think they'll spell certain doom to your doggies. :'(

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #9248 on: April 20, 2011, 11:45:31 pm »

You should try a program like RivaTuner or MSI Afterburner, which have manual overrides for fan settings. I run Afterburner constantly as a rule now because my card is a bit sluggish on deciding to spin up the fan and it works wonders. You can set a temperature curve to your liking fairly easily

Sounds a good idea.  My card idles at 55 to 60 C, but I was playing Portal 2 and popped out to the Desktop, and noticed that the card was at 91 with a peak of 95.  That's scary.  Is there an easy way to ensure that the card (AMD/ATI Radeon) has the fan on full?

I have SpeedFan running, which has the ability to control MB fan speed.  But it doesn't detect the graphics card and I don't think it tries to control it.  (I just use it for monitoring temps, voltages, and SMART.)

I see Rivatuner is Nvidia only, is MSI Afterburner what you'd recommend for a Radeon?

Really, I think I will end up rigging at least a 100mm case fan to blow against the back of the card, and maybe a second to assist the card's fan.  I have enough CFM through the case I think, but high up, so in the wrong place for the graphics card.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #9249 on: April 21, 2011, 12:24:45 am »

Just make a terraformer, and a flat module for it.

Or just install Single-Player Commands and use WorldEdit to select chunks and make the 100% flat.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9250 on: April 21, 2011, 05:37:35 am »

Wolves don't attack creepers, and I still melee creepers nicely without them exploding and don't hear them making any weird sounds.

Also, how often do storms come? I haven't seen one yet :(
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 05:41:33 am by Micro102 »

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9251 on: April 21, 2011, 06:59:18 am »

Did map gen change this update, I typed in a 1.4 seed and  I think I got something diff rent
Thank you based dwarf.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9252 on: April 21, 2011, 07:11:57 am »

Also, how often do storms come? I haven't seen one yet :(
Me neither. I should have probably settled in a forest or rainforest or swamp instead of near these deserts. I am kinda glad that they were not as common as the video.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Briggsy16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9253 on: April 21, 2011, 07:30:25 am »

Is that it for achievements? I expected 50 odd not under 20..

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9254 on: April 21, 2011, 07:38:41 am »

Is there any way to go back an update after you update?
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.
Pages: 1 ... 615 616 [617] 618 619 ... 1380