Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 608 609 [610] 611 612 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2418580 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #9135 on: April 17, 2011, 12:30:02 pm »

Hm, I don't recall anything over DwarvesH, but this is the first I heard of it so maybe I just missed it. 

I do recall the big fiasco over [the utility/DFclone that shall not be named] but that was justified in that it A)attempted to reverse engineer DF code and apperantly partially succeeded. B)Misled a number of people to help with the project, and C) proved how massive a douche he is by telling people to donate to him instead of Toady on these very forums.

But yea, the minecraft community isn't exactly known for their maturity.  Every forum has their off posts, but the minecraft forums seem to have a worse good to bad post ratio than the average.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 12:31:48 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9136 on: April 17, 2011, 01:14:12 pm »

I love Tesla Coils. I absolutely LOVE Tesla Coils. I have a 2*4 set up of them on a test map with some pig spawns above them that I'm just letting idle right now and occasionally going into game and flipping the kill switch. There may also be maniacal laughing and my own "bzzt" sound effects involved. It's magical.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 01:20:03 pm by Leonon »

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9137 on: April 17, 2011, 02:08:13 pm »

Someone was making a clone a while back and the Minecraft folks were absolutely terrible to the person.  There's a certain ignorance to the group as well since Notch basically cloned Infiniminer but nobody was going to hear about it.  In their mind any game that had blocks and mining was a clone of Minecraft and should therefore be spammed, trolled, and lambasted. (There was also a similar situation here with DwarvesH.)

You'll be hard pressed to find such a situation here where it isn't done in the name of the "DWARF FORTRESS CLONE OH NO" meme.

Well, except that the "DWARF FORTRESS CLONE OH NO" meme arose as a direct and ironic response to the, quite literal, cries of "OMG DF clone ATTACK!" Some of the more sane B12ers concluded that mockery was the only way to put the over-defensive assailants in their place.  ;)

poca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9138 on: April 17, 2011, 02:39:37 pm »

I've just finished the HV line from the clouds to below the sea level so I'm just starting to build my generators and machines and I'm really annoyed at the high price of the EC Manipulator. If it is ever going to be useful it would be right now.

By the time I can actually afford to build it I will have installed all my generators. Whatever it says, I'm not going to move them all over one space because some wires are just long enough to cause some EU loss. I'm also going to be putting down all the machines I will be using and they have to work with all my MFEs outputing at the default setting of 32 EUs.

Does anybody know why he would think it was a good idea?

Spoiler: Stockpile Report (click to show/hide)

poca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9139 on: April 17, 2011, 02:44:22 pm »

So say I make a vertical pillar of water generators and surround the shaft in Water...

I suppose I should stress that automated water mills don't generate EU very quickly at all so you will get more EU by using the generators required to get EU somewhere else. I'm kind of in the middle of designing and building in a new world so I don't have much time to think about this problem but I kind of suspect a spiral would be an elegant (albeit suboptimal) basis for a water mill stack.

Start with a 3x3x3 room. Dig a hole at the very center of one of the walls, put a wire there and put a water mill behind the wire. Next turn right and put a hole in the bottom middle block and put a wire in the hold and another water mill behind the wire. Turn right again, dig the floor of the room out and put a hole in the bottom middle of the wall, put a wire there and a water mill behind the wire.

After some clearing and setting up waterfalls, this should put four stacks of many water mills around a central access shaft and keep them separated enough to make sure their water supplies won't interfere. I haven't had time to think about how to wire them up to MFE/HV without using a wire path longer than 8(+3?).

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #9140 on: April 17, 2011, 03:41:04 pm »

NatureOverhaul - A better tomorrow, today:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2941534/Jaycraft/2011-04-15_15.30.20.jpg
(Actually taken yesterday)
A bit of a late reply but do I spy my texture pack? (I should be able to tell but the only clue is the grass blocks closest to the camera).
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Tradanbattlan

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_DECENCY]
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #9141 on: April 17, 2011, 04:13:34 pm »

Am I the only one here who plays Minecraft completely vanilla? :<
I've never really liked mods and texture packs. Every so often I might try something just for fun, but I always end up reverting back...

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9142 on: April 17, 2011, 04:21:40 pm »

Am I the only one here who plays Minecraft completely vanilla? :<
I've never really liked mods and texture packs. Every so often I might try something just for fun, but I always end up reverting back...

Yo.  Admittedly, in my current on-running game, I do have a couple mods, but I only ever enjoy mods that just add slightly to Vanilla.  In this case, it's Shelves because they're neat; some sign-tag-coding mods for making digital clocks and weather readouts; the "Ruins" mod (which has prevented me from updating because it hasn't been updated itself) because the little ruins are cool looking and a source of bricks and mossy cobblestone; and the Pistons mod because I wanted to play with them and already had a good world.  In actuality, that stuff alone makes this probably the most modded gameworld I've yet stuck with.  I don't know what it is about the ridiculously added complexity of other mods that I don't enjoy, but Vanilla just always seems more playable.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #9143 on: April 17, 2011, 04:42:15 pm »

(removed various trolling posts of Ninteen45 and some replies, apologies for any unrelated posts caught up in it.  Ninteen45 catches 5 days for effort.)
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #9144 on: April 17, 2011, 04:45:30 pm »

Interesting... you can compress snowballs into ice, then break the ice for a water source. Easy way to transport water source blocks!

Edit: Industrialcraft, obviously.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9145 on: April 17, 2011, 04:46:22 pm »

Thank you very much, Toady.

I too find mods to make the game feel less playable, Aqi. I can't really pinpoint it; it just seems like the game becomes a patchwork of features, and the game doesn't flow like it should.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9146 on: April 17, 2011, 05:20:12 pm »

As long as we're talking about mods instead of about specific mods, anyone else think Industrialcraft might warrant its own topic? Seems like most of our MC chatter is actually about that. ???
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9147 on: April 17, 2011, 05:49:20 pm »

It's pretty evenly split. Searching back for answers on my stuff has yielded a frustrating time looking for Industrial Craft-specific stuff. If you can fill the OP with a ton of resources for making cool stuff then go for it, but don't make a thread simply saying "There was a lot of this over there, so now it's over here."

Eugh, this complicates my plans for a simple generator. I simply want a sustainable one to keep on my main battery banks when I move my stuff from a primitive cave to a new production platform. I won't be running my autominers all the time and when I am I'll be utilizing geothermal buckets to keep them active. Solar would make probably an easier project as people already have a ton of plans for these systems, but it takes so many resources and EU generation per vertical column is not something I'm too concerned about.

And bat packs, I seem to have troubles with one. I crafted a charged one, right-clicked it and put it on. Automined the hell out of a cave before running out of sticks and returning. I noticed the bat pack had like an eighth of a bar left so I put it in my last MFE in the stack which was always maxed. It didn't charge, and having the MFE before it charged completely didn't help, so I figured I needed to completely empty it before it can be recharged. I right-click it to equip again and don my drill. One short mining trip later my drill was uncharged and the bat pack was not being used.
 There is probably something I'm doing wrong, but I'm kinda apprehensive of making another one if this problem arises again.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

poca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9148 on: April 17, 2011, 06:11:52 pm »

Eugh, this complicates my plans for a simple generator. I simply want a sustainable one to keep on my main battery banks when I move my stuff from a primitive cave to a new production platform. I won't be running my autominers all the time and when I am I'll be utilizing geothermal buckets to keep them active. Solar would make probably an easier project as people already have a ton of plans for these systems, but it takes so many resources and EU generation per vertical column is not something I'm too concerned about.
Yeah, solar collectors require 2 circuits each. I've noticed wind mills can work very nicely but you have to have nothing but 5 wires under them for best effect but they seem to require 4 wires for no other reason than they fill up the crafting square. I also started out in a temporary mine and just used a single water mill connected to an MFE that I'd manually fill while I was maceratoring my first ores and extracting my first rubber.

...bat-pack...
They are a bit weird. They only recharge after you completely deplete them.

poca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9149 on: April 17, 2011, 06:14:56 pm »

As long as we're talking about mods instead of about specific mods, anyone else think Industrialcraft might warrant its own topic? Seems like most of our MC chatter is actually about that. ???

I think that is a such great idea that I'll create the first three myself!  :D

Honestly, I think that is a fair question. It being asked on the 624th page certainly makes it an even fairer question. I would be concerned that people who aren't following the Minecraft thread will also soon not be following many many other Minecraft mod threads. I wouldn't start that thread but I would probably post in it until all the crazy things about IC can't be ignored because they aren't hidden by the shiny newness.
Pages: 1 ... 608 609 [610] 611 612 ... 1380