Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 604 605 [606] 607 608 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2418536 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #9075 on: April 14, 2011, 10:01:25 pm »

The secrets are barely secret.  I had found something like 3 of them before I stopped looking.  Most if not all of the secrets are easily revealed just by quoting a suspicious post.  And many if not all of them are in the OP.  All he's using to hide them is either really tiny text or some setting that makes text invisible.  It all shows up plain as day if you read through quoted text.  Exactly what he says to do.

Yes I do find his methods a little extreme.  Even though I mostly just play SSP I felt it's a bit odd that he delayed the SMP release for 5 days because people asked him to release it.  But from things I hear about the minecraft community it may have been justified. 

And as for the Heyo stuff, I know the place he's getting the jokes from, and don't find it as annoying as most folks probably due to that.  (The dude that he's imitating says "Heyo" a hell of a lot more than he is.)  And it's different than just another boring feature list with crafting recipes.  He dosn't seem to quite pull it off, but I still find it better than another bland wall o' text.

But he made the mod.  Is he getting paid for it?  No.  He might have a donation button but you certainly don't HAVE to pay to download the mod.  And you can't force the guy to do what you want while still getting the mod released.  I'm not telling anybody to do anything, but my ADVICE is to let the mod maker be and respect his wishes.  Because he very well may take the mod down, he would lose nothing from doing so, and probably gain a lot less hassle.  I mod Dwarf Fortress.  Do I ever release my mods publicly? No? Huh, I wonder why...

As to why I'm giving that advice?  Because I like the mod.  Somebody going and pissing the mod maker off enough to get him to stop updating impacts me negatively.  That happened to at least one utility on this very forum if folks may recall.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 10:11:48 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #9076 on: April 14, 2011, 10:26:23 pm »

EDIT: So apparently, MFEs ACCEPT charge from all directions, but only EMIT from their tops.

At least in my install. This is going to make things even more annoying.

They (in my installs) emit from the bottom if no cable or consumer machine is attached to the top.

The nuke recipe is easy, you just follow established explosives patterns.  The G cable recipe is easy, you just play around with the standard cable recipe.  I wouldn't have found the R cable recipe if it hadn't been hinted at as using less rubber.  (Which it doesn't in the long run.)  The alternate ID recipes are, while not obvious, at least hinted at.  And easy to test.  The iron recipe follows established patterns, once you know it exists.  What else is there? 

And, y'know, the mod is perfectly playable without the secret recipes.  It's not like there's lack of content.

Entitlement and ingratitude.  If someone said I needed a punch in the face because of one of my DF utilities, I'd never update them again.  Al has another option, he can blacklist people by their user-id.

A Q for anyone who's messed with the SDK mods: What does SDK's EntityLiving do?  I see that it does something about render distance for mobs, but there's no real description or link to one, and that thread is 240 pages and growing fast.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9077 on: April 14, 2011, 11:09:20 pm »

Luckily for all, wikis exist.  And they're not just for vanilla Minecraft features.
Also secret recipes are available:
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9078 on: April 14, 2011, 11:55:19 pm »

Luckily for all, wikis exist.  And they're not just for vanilla Minecraft features.
Also secret recipes are available:
Well, that link doesn't have all of them, but it does have quite a few.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9079 on: April 15, 2011, 06:25:27 am »

According to Notch's blog, 1.5 will have powered rails and lightning transforming pigs into zombie pigmen.

Discuss.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #9080 on: April 15, 2011, 06:28:39 am »

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #9081 on: April 15, 2011, 06:32:00 am »

Agreed.

In other news, apparently hooking up a HV transformer incorrectly results in a catastrophic meltdown of quite a few MFEs and a good bit of cable, despite the HV lines still being completely separate from the power grid.

Oh well. Ya live an' loin.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9082 on: April 15, 2011, 08:21:07 am »

Urgh, reading the much more legible wiki makes me want to try this out. I'll fiddle with installation when I fully finish getting my system for separate mods done.

And apparently the creator of this mod has an affinity for 16x16 packs. I can almost forgive the terrible thread on his mod for this. Almost.

Edit: Notch posted This Image in his twitter. Can anybody make out what the notes read? One of them mentions something on Grief, so here's hope for grief protection. He also verified a fix for the side textures of grass.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 08:24:03 am by Duke 2.0 »
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9083 on: April 15, 2011, 08:41:22 am »

Urgh, reading the much more legible wiki makes me want to try this out. I'll fiddle with installation when I fully finish getting my system for separate mods done.

And apparently the creator of this mod has an affinity for 16x16 packs. I can almost forgive the terrible thread on his mod for this. Almost.

Edit: Notch posted This Image in his twitter. Can anybody make out what the notes read? One of them mentions something on Grief, so here's hope for grief protection. He also verified a fix for the side textures of grass.
Apparently the 1 ladder/2 vertical blocks thing (glitch? feature?) is going to be removed forcing all ladders to be properly created now... But yeah, reports say that he made side grass not terrible. Also ladder crafting will yield two ladders instead of one.

On the far right, under "verified user stories".
The bottom-most note reads "Synch weather with server" which is a good sign for SMP.
Next two are obviously "detector rails" and "optimize performance".
The note to the right is unreadable
The note to the left is "Stats and get... * * 18" two unreadable words.
Above those two are obviously "Ach. Screen" and "Track Ach." - so acheivements.
Above to the left is "Get ... from ..." with two unreadable words.
To the middle might be "... when in hell" but the first word is blocked and the last is mostly unreadable.
To the right is entirely unreadable...
Then one more above it that says "Hide stats"
To the left of that is... well, I can't tell what it is either. "See iGet ... ... ... Ah?"

The only other thing on the board is "User stories to be verified", which has the note "Tweak and Fix" on it.

Sorry Duke, I didn't see anything about griefing on there. Also, feel free to try to improve on my reading skills, this is just after some work in Paint.net and staring at it for a bit, so there is probably more others can glean from this.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 09:35:56 am by Logical2u »
This account is defunct - please contact me through other means.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9084 on: April 15, 2011, 08:57:04 am »

Yeah, I was reading the "iGet" as something else. Still, good news across the board.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9085 on: April 15, 2011, 09:09:21 am »

All I get is:
Code: [Select]
<Error>
<Code>AccessDenied</Code>
<Message>Request has expired</Message>

No picture.  Did we stop using image hosting services?  Imgur, img.ie?
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9086 on: April 15, 2011, 09:11:08 am »

All I get is:
Code: [Select]
<Error>
<Code>AccessDenied</Code>
<Message>Request has expired</Message>

No picture.  Did we stop using image hosting services?  Imgur, img.ie?

Try this then? http://twitpic.com/4l1odm

Edit: Another mod - slightly more realistic physics for constructions. Probably really annoying to work with in practice but neat! http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=1032&t=247598&sid=696a622a3d4842a83acb093dbf449ec4
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 11:14:32 am by Logical2u »
This account is defunct - please contact me through other means.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9087 on: April 15, 2011, 10:08:35 am »

One of them mentions something on Grief, so here's hope for grief protection.

I don't see anything about grief. I see a the word creeper though, sure that's not what you're looking at?

Very easy to get the two confused. Creepers are basically mob griefers anyway.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #9088 on: April 15, 2011, 10:14:10 am »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #9089 on: April 15, 2011, 10:42:06 am »

Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 ... 604 605 [606] 607 608 ... 1380