Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 562 563 [564] 565 566 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2420228 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #8445 on: March 30, 2011, 01:08:10 pm »

OK, I might have to host that as the Planehacked alternate server.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8446 on: March 30, 2011, 01:17:03 pm »

I'm downloading it right now, i have some ideas on how the world should look like :)
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #8447 on: March 30, 2011, 01:30:27 pm »

Have you ever wanted to explore Earth in Minecraft? http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=1034&t=242878&sid=825fcbe9473ba1fd17f91c0b29f27ee2

The Cartographer map is 32 megabytes, the save is 300.

http://earthmap.minecraft.us/mcEarth2.png
I like how reading through the topic, everyone is going "OMG SO AWESOME U WIN THE INTERNET" when all it takes is a half-decent map generator and some pictures from NASA.
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8448 on: March 30, 2011, 01:46:58 pm »

Anyone read the blog? Who's Mr. Rich, I wonder.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #8449 on: March 30, 2011, 01:53:14 pm »

They should make Mars instead.

Mars colonization and terraforming project.

The map would be considerably smaller and it would be fun to explore mars' canyons and try to terraform mars

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #8450 on: March 30, 2011, 01:55:56 pm »

You'd need some modded in water generators, though.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8451 on: March 30, 2011, 02:10:18 pm »

The Earthmap has almost nothing in the way of inland waterways, which makes it kinda bland.  They claim to be working on that, but I won't hold my breath.

For a sense of scale, I think that Ireland is about the size of a Small Creative map, from the days of yore.  I am interested in seeing the elevations though.

Altogether, it would make a pretty cool Multiplayer server map.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8452 on: March 30, 2011, 02:50:20 pm »

The map would be considerably smaller and it would be fun to explore mars' canyons and try to terraform mars

Best idea ever. If only we had a proper modding API so we all could play Multiplayer Mars Terraforming.
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8453 on: March 30, 2011, 02:51:23 pm »

I could see this. I wonder if you could make it so you need air in some biomes but not all.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8454 on: March 30, 2011, 03:04:13 pm »

You could probably use standard vanilla mechanics, with a twist, to manage everything about Mars:

Open air becomes a kind of reverse water, needs a suit to survive in it. Enclosed areas can be filled with air, generally produced by earth plants you brought along.
Mars dirt is generally useless, but you can extract/compress/do something to make it into fertile dirt, for planting. Maybe a full stack of mars dirt has enough resources to support a couple earth-dirt tiles?
Compressors that allow you to store large amounts of breathable air in order to fill other enclosed areas.
Water is found underground (certainly a scientific leap but it must be assumed to exist, otherwise all you get is what you start with, from Earth).

Maybe the only thing that'll require a whole new mechanic is somehow "growing" breathable atmosphere without it being in an enclosed area. I don't know enough about the underlying mechanics of Minecraft to know how hard that would be. The default atmosphere shouldn't be able to support trees, but if you had a partially enclosed area with trees that are fed proper atmosphere, the atmosphere can slowly "leak" out and change the surrounding area, eventually allowing you to plant trees in unenclosed areas in self-perpetuating climates? It would need simplified a little, because the scale really wouldn't allow for that sort of thing in real life without it taking decades or centuries (assuming the resources even exist).

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8455 on: March 30, 2011, 03:13:05 pm »

Well you could start on one of the poles with ice and use that for water, and as far as the general goal goes it could just be a small area and you bring atmosphere into it by constructing these convulted machines (similar to those in industrialcraft) that slowly pump it out by using certain resources that you gather.Also nights should be very very cold, so you'd have to go underground or find some way to warm yourself up, atleast untill you get the atmosphere up and running.Then you move on to the next area, the entire planet being divided into these regions that are somehow enclosed for easier terraforming by small scale teams of several people.Then you compete who will get more land untill the entire planet is fit for life, then you move on to Pluto for a harder version of it :)
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8456 on: March 30, 2011, 03:35:38 pm »

Why not an entirely alien planet with existing life (mobs) and a toxic atmosphere? Instead of armor, you could have equipment, and that would let you put on "air tanks" that are consumed over time (item durability) and special visors for your helmet with special abilities.

You might be able to use the biome information to store terraforming data...

Instead of lava, acidic native water that must be purified into clean water for you to use for air, fuel, and hydroponics.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #8457 on: March 30, 2011, 03:52:48 pm »

Pistons. Pretty sweet. MCmodShowcase on YouTube has a bunch of video demonstrations as well, including PlasmaCraft (!), Mo Creatures, and Pistons.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8458 on: March 30, 2011, 03:56:00 pm »

Well you could start on one of the poles with ice and use that for water

Yeah, that is possible, though I ignored it since my understanding was that the poles of Mars are frozen carbon dioxide rather than water. However, wiki says it's actually largely water ice and the CO2 is merely a result of the atmosphere condensing during the martian winter. We'd need CO2 anyway for plants to produce oxygen, so starting on a pole would be a good plan anyway.

I was hoping it was possible to avoid the need to terraforming "regions" which sharply switched between habitable and martian, but given Minecraft's "chunk" method of region generation it may require that sort of simplification.

As for other planets, that's certainly possible. If you design a robust enough terraforming mechanic it would probably be fairly easy to convert it into different initial location, with specialized equipment depending on difficulty. A toxic world maybe not need atmospheric generators (e.g. trees), but instead scrubbers to create a neutral environment, that you can then development into an earth environment. A frozen world would require that you thicken the atmosphere, but not too much.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 03:58:40 pm by Niveras »

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."
Pages: 1 ... 562 563 [564] 565 566 ... 1380