Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 559 560 [561] 562 563 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2420116 times)

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #8400 on: March 28, 2011, 10:49:37 pm »

Ok, I cheated to do my test and replicated a few MFEs and cable, and enough to make a nuke... but no more!

(image snip)

Now, we can only do a single thickness because of the 3 connection wire deal... but this is how it charged:

B, then C, then D... Now A was slowly filling up from the solar panels, and I technically added that after the Nuke was charging B, so I can't tell if that first one has a huge impact.  After A was filled, it stopped filling up MFEs ... I don't know if it was because I flubbed the order or what.  One odd thing I noticed is that U (the one all the way at the end) was filling up, 16 EU per tick the whole time.

I put a redstone torch next to one down the line (let's say M) and all the ones further down stopped (as expected) while it filled up with trickle charges.  There is a small amount of juice flowing to each one, but it's not consistent.  I placed a miner at the end and it slowly putted along as it got it's dose of 16 EU every now and then.  Placing a torch by it, letting it fill up a few thousand and breaking the torch made it suck all the juice out and go back to sputters.

It's consistent in that it fills up from the power station side first but it doesn't release it's energy on demand.

I'm almost certain the odd behavior is from a combination of feedback loops and the current being split repeatedly. I played around with some cheated items on a new map and here's the densest working horizontal battery I've tested so far.

The strangest part is that there's over 300 current coming in on that line and they refuse to explode. I was actually trying to explode it before I started making battery arrays. There's 16 nuclear reactors hooked straight into that thing.

I tested hooking a HV converter to a MFE at another place and had to split the wire to below 100 current to get that one to not explode yet hooked straight to the generators they seem to do fine. Just tried hooking this generator into a crystal charger and that works too.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 11:35:34 pm by Leonon »

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8401 on: March 28, 2011, 11:04:03 pm »

The end (U) went back to the trickle charging after sapping all the power from T.  It's just going to fill up from A to U.

I removed the power stations from A and now G is taking from A.  I assume it's going to work it's way down to U slowly block by block.  It stopped after A was empty.  Now, B-H are full, and the last block (U) is trickle charging from I.  A is empty and oscillating +50, -50...

I cranked up the output to 50 on all of them which I should have done to start.  The last one is now trickle charing 50 per tick.  The first one is emptying itself into the next non-full one in the line.  Not sure if I want to sit around and wait to see what happens when this fills up the end blocks.

Edit:  (sorry, last one...)

After the last one filled up, the battery stabilized.  No more movement.  Then I realized, it's only filling at 25 EU (because of the splitting of the cables to both MFEs and only 25 being sent down the line.  I hooked a furnace up to the U block and started smelting.  It was taking form the U block and replenishing it from H (the closest non-full MFE.)

Given that you lose half of your EU throughput by the "automatic leveling" being done at the beginning of the line I'd say it's a terrible design and should probably go with the designs Leonon is using unless density is your only concern ... or you can make two parallel runs that both run through one MFE to get your final 50.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 11:22:25 pm by Andir »
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8402 on: March 28, 2011, 11:49:48 pm »

Was playing with a 2*2 cube of the same design as Andir was trying and figured out that it works well as storage if you're willing to manually remove and replace cables to switch from charging energy to being able to use energy. Just disconnect the cable from one of the corners and hook the machinery circuit into the other side of the MFE that was draining into the cable you disconnected. Disconnect the new cable and replace the old one to go into charging mode.

I also figured out that the mining laser seems to use the same physics as an explosion. This is in no way related to the mushroom cloud and large crater where my uncooled nuclear pile was.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 11:54:22 pm by Leonon »

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8403 on: March 29, 2011, 12:36:52 am »

Got the idea to lay parallel lines of those batteries to remove the throughput loss.  You can see what I was doing here:

You can see at the inside of the battery bank is the MFE that takes power from that bank (and the bank beside it) and sends it up into the cable above it.  Those cables feed the MFE in the center of the parallel banks which feeds the top cable and final center MFE.  You have a guaranteed 50 output for as long as your batteries have charge. Charge can be added at the end of the batteries which will self level closest to the generator while keeping a charge on the primary MFE you tap power from.

I was building the center cap and it struck me.  You could get away with a 3x3 column in a dense double helix:

I don't even know where to begin... Yeah, there's splitting/looping going on which would consolidate at the top to one singular concentration node, and the density...
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8404 on: March 29, 2011, 12:38:17 am »

Somebody build a chess board out of these things.

GamerKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • All hail Urist McNoble and his adamantium socks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8405 on: March 29, 2011, 12:44:24 am »

What would you use for pieces?

SHIT! BEJEWELED ON MINECRAFT!!!
Love is just a chemical. We give it meaning by choice.

Dwarf Fortress : Crimes Against Nature, Man, God, Sanity and Simple Common Sense Simulator.

Dwarf Fortress: Turning men into monsters, and kittens into food since 2006.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8406 on: March 29, 2011, 12:45:08 am »

Creepers 'n zombies.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8407 on: March 29, 2011, 01:19:23 am »

Andir, I gotta say. That's one helluva neat trick if it works. Castle crashing time! How the hell are you supposed to add an imput to that?
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #8408 on: March 29, 2011, 05:53:55 am »

I built this windmill to try out the IndustrialCraft's new windmill block. It's working pretty great actually, but it's not bringing the energy to where I want it.
(The windmill on the exact center was removed after the screenshot was taken.)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8409 on: March 29, 2011, 08:03:49 am »

I built this windmill to try out the IndustrialCraft's new windmill block. It's working pretty great actually, but it's not bringing the energy to where I want it.
(The windmill on the exact center was removed after the screenshot was taken.)

I'm surprised that even works a little.  The MFEs, as I understand them, distribute power off the top/bottom and accept energy from the sides.  So the points where you have "CMC" should not distribute power through to the next cable.  So, for example where your power is accumulating, just left of the cursor in the fifth shot and also the one just to the right, should not work.  If it does, consider me amazed.

zestorum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8410 on: March 29, 2011, 08:35:15 am »

What is the mod that you guys are using?

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8411 on: March 29, 2011, 08:36:13 am »

Indutrialcraft or something.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #8412 on: March 29, 2011, 08:36:42 am »

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8413 on: March 29, 2011, 08:44:43 am »

Has anyone successfully installed both the industry and mo mobs (the ones with the ogres) mods at the same time?

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #8414 on: March 29, 2011, 08:45:19 am »

Yep. I use those two all the time. :)
EDIT: Also, Syrup's FancyPack is finally ModLoader 5 compatible! :D
Pages: 1 ... 559 560 [561] 562 563 ... 1380