Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 490 491 [492] 493 494 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2422483 times)

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #7365 on: January 27, 2011, 05:31:57 pm »

I just now figured out that you can use the Furnace for some rockin' floor tiles. And rockin' it does look.
Natural stone and not cobblestone?
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7366 on: January 27, 2011, 06:02:04 pm »

I just now figured out that you can use the Furnace for some rockin' floor tiles. And rockin' it does look.
I usually make cave homes, so smoothstone floors don't do it for me anymore. I need different patterns, and these furnace tops are unique enough to be good.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #7367 on: January 27, 2011, 06:06:45 pm »

I usually make cave homes, so smoothstone floors don't do it for me anymore. I need different patterns, and these furnace tops are unique enough to be good.
Last time I checked, the furnace top was identical to the smoothstone texture.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #7368 on: January 27, 2011, 06:12:48 pm »

Last time I checked, the furnace top was identical to the smoothstone texture.
Then you haven't checked recently.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7369 on: January 27, 2011, 06:18:34 pm »

Yeah, recent updates have added a new texture for furnace tops. I remember Notch said something about the fact that he didn't like the textures being the same.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7370 on: January 27, 2011, 06:31:37 pm »

OK, Moljang really needs to get it's act together and actually use their own website. What kind of serious project actually uses a facebook page?

You are a multi-million dollar company! Stop acting like a terrible garage band!

As it is, I'm just going to assume that there will be no updates to minecraft at all for the next two weeks.

Well, technically, nearly every multi-million dollar company has a Facebook page. It's all part of 'being involved in the game's community' and such.

And since the Facebook page has far fewer and far less relevant posts than, say, the official blog that's been the main source of update news for years, I'd argue they're certainly not using Facebook too much.  :P

Wolfire Games has spent the last three (maybe four?) years demonstrating that yes, all good companies should have a Facebook page. Word-of-mouth is the best marketing, and Facebook is like word-of-mouth on crack.

I'm kind of unimpressed by Mojang, too, but keep in mind that Minecraft started as a game Notch worked on in his spare time and never expected anyone else to like. If I were in his position, I would have no idea where all that money came from, or how I should use it, or what to do with my ridiculous web traffic... Watching the development of Minecraft is kind of like watching some sadistic reality show where an average dude gets tossed into a pitch-black maze and has to make his way out. And if you add in the Minecraft community, it's like the maze is filled with tigers.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7371 on: January 27, 2011, 07:21:31 pm »

OK, Moljang really needs to get it's act together and actually use their own website. What kind of serious project actually uses a facebook page?

You are a multi-million dollar company! Stop acting like a terrible garage band!

As it is, I'm just going to assume that there will be no updates to minecraft at all for the next two weeks.

Well, technically, nearly every multi-million dollar company has a Facebook page. It's all part of 'being involved in the game's community' and such.

And since the Facebook page has far fewer and far less relevant posts than, say, the official blog that's been the main source of update news for years, I'd argue they're certainly not using Facebook too much.  :P

Wolfire Games has spent the last three (maybe four?) years demonstrating that yes, all good companies should have a Facebook page. Word-of-mouth is the best marketing, and Facebook is like word-of-mouth on crack.

I'm kind of unimpressed by Mojang, too, but keep in mind that Minecraft started as a game Notch worked on in his spare time and never expected anyone else to like. If I were in his position, I would have no idea where all that money came from, or how I should use it, or what to do with my ridiculous web traffic... Watching the development of Minecraft is kind of like watching some sadistic reality show where an average dude gets tossed into a pitch-black maze and has to make his way out. And if you add in the Minecraft community, it's like the maze is filled with tigers.

I caught onto Wolfire by word of mouth through Youtube. Less talk, more action.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7372 on: January 27, 2011, 09:28:47 pm »

Yeah, recent updates have added a new texture for furnace tops. I remember Notch said something about the fact that he didn't like the textures being the same.

I don't know how great a texture it can be that I didn't even notice.  Still, what an expense of stone.  But hey, I always build with cobblestone, so smooth is unique and new to me.  Workbench tops are a nice expensive-alternate too.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #7373 on: January 29, 2011, 03:17:00 pm »

SO, the other day I went into the Nether for the first time.  I took three stacks of arrows, a bunch of cooked pig, full iron armor, and a diamond sword.  I was prepared.

Does anyone else think the Nether is kind of boring?

The most excitement I had was my first ghast kill.  Wow, they go down easy for something so big.  I've had more fun hunting squid.

And then all three of my overworld portals connected to the same Nether portal, so I had to find out how to fix that.  (X-ray is your friend.)  I think that may have happened because I build all three before going through any of them.

Now I run along a perfectly safe self-dug tunnel to another portal that goes to another biome that I don't even need to visit, because resources are so common everywhere.  All I'm lacking at my home base is pine trees.  And snowballs, I suppose.

I guess I need a megaproject.  I abandoned World1's bridge to nowhere, I abandoned World2's flattened mountain, I don't want a castle….

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7374 on: January 29, 2011, 03:22:30 pm »

Would love to try this, but DF and WURM does everything it does but better and for free.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7375 on: January 29, 2011, 03:22:56 pm »

Great flaming pyramids of netherrack.
Also Wurm is terrible, in so many many ways.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7376 on: January 29, 2011, 03:27:18 pm »

Would love to try this, but DF and WURM does everything it does but better and for free.

Not "better" per say, it's a different experience. You can't really compare them well.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #7377 on: January 29, 2011, 04:16:54 pm »

Notch worked on Wurm in the past :P

And you really can't compare Wurm and DF to Minecraft. Wurm and DF take a much more realistic approach to things than Minecraft. And DF is really third person, Minecraft is first person. Wurm and Minecraft are much more similar than DF and either one, but Wurm is trying to be realistic, Minecraft is not.

Overall, they're just too different to compare, no matter how similar they seem, they only share similarities in that they're sandboxes.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7378 on: January 29, 2011, 05:33:37 pm »

I guess I need a megaproject.  I abandoned World1's bridge to nowhere, I abandoned World2's flattened mountain, I don't want a castle….
Congrats, you have hit the complete lack of content. Enjoy creating your own, because it's the only thing you can really do.  :)

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #7379 on: January 29, 2011, 05:53:48 pm »

Notch worked on Wurm in the past :P

And you really can't compare Wurm and DF to Minecraft. Wurm and DF take a much more realistic approach to things than Minecraft. And DF is really third person, Minecraft is first person. Wurm and Minecraft are much more similar than DF and either one, but Wurm is trying to be realistic, Minecraft is not.

Overall, they're just too different to compare, no matter how similar they seem, they only share similarities in that they're sandboxes.
And anyways, this has come up before (there were two threads in the upper forums which were bashing on MC). I could do a comparison (you actually CAN compare apples and oranges) but I don't feel like it. They aren't too different to compare, it's just that they shouldn't be compared in a setting that's inherently biased to one or the other, such as the upper forums and the Minecraft forums.
Pages: 1 ... 490 491 [492] 493 494 ... 1380