Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 486 487 [488] 489 490 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2422509 times)

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #7305 on: January 21, 2011, 12:40:07 am »

Indeed :(

I really enjoy what the forums are about, but because the audience is so damn huge, the rules are strict as hell. It doesn't help to know that 3/5 of every offense made is never punished, and you just happened to be the unlucky one who got his post read by a mod.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7306 on: January 21, 2011, 12:48:58 am »

It's an overwhelming avalanche of crap that goes on in the forums. Before we had a sort of lenient attitude about things, but after a while we just had to strike down and take out the bad parts of the community. So insulting other users is right out, even calling others idiots. It's a jab at the person themself, not at whatever idiot thing they said. It's a bit small for a warning, but it's a very thin line to tread here. Just where do we call the line on insults?
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7307 on: January 21, 2011, 12:53:36 am »

That is true and a good question. The problem is, the fact there is a line in the first place is a problem. It should be a scribble. Everything needs to be taken into context before it is judged as offensive.

The problem is, that isn't always possible or very easy to do with the immense amount of problems the MC forums have.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7308 on: January 21, 2011, 12:55:09 am »

Not to mention all the crap we get from users going "Well, they said idiot, and they didn't get warned!"

Also, a question about the meme. If the whole post is a meme then that's clearly a warning, but if only part of it is one then that can be contested.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7309 on: January 21, 2011, 01:22:35 am »

Eh, I dont have a get-out-of-jail-free card for this one, duke. It was a plain and blatant only-meme post that I made before noticing that it was against the rules. I just skimmed through the "Read this before posting" topic after I joined last year, and didnt notice that memes being against the rules were in small print. I mean, the meme was on topic, and I even edited it to fit with the discussion, but it was clearly still a meme.

Ugh. Its not a big deal, I will wait out the ban. Just gives me doubts about the forums sometimes.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7310 on: January 21, 2011, 01:24:16 am »

I didn't have intentions of abusing my mod powers to help you out, just getting all the details right. There is a lot of flak about users not liking the mods, so I want to make sure things are accurate and accounted for.

Thankfully these things go away with time.

And I do thank you for keeping a good attitude about this. There are issues with the forums, we all know, and things need to be fixed.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7311 on: January 21, 2011, 01:29:16 am »

I didn't have intentions of abusing my mod powers to help you out, just getting all the details right. There is a lot of flak about users not liking the mods, so I want to make sure things are accurate and accounted for.

Thankfully these things go away with time.

And I do thank you for keeping a good attitude about this. There are issues with the forums, we all know, and things need to be fixed.
And I had no intentions of asking you to do so. I just took from context you saying "If its only part of the post, it can be contested" and thought that meant that I could bring it up with a mod/admin/whoever happens to be one who would listen to those kinds of things.

Anyway, thanks for listening to my posts. You are quite welcome for me staying level-headed, but I cant say the though of multi-accounting to complain about it on the boards didn't cross my mind. Figured it would only get me a longer ban, though, and there's no way you can argue with what is clearly the rules, despite how well you argument is constructed.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #7312 on: January 21, 2011, 01:30:14 pm »

I had a strange accidental death yesterday. I was out merrily digging sand to turn into glass and sandstone. I wasn't being too careful about it, I guess, just sort of running forward with my shovel digging up sand in a giant pit.

Then, suddenly, I step onto a block of sand and it collapses underneath me and dumps me into a pool of lava. I tried to swim over to the stream of water at the other end of the pool, but didn't make it in time before I died.

Mildly annoying, as I had a diamond pick on me and tons of sand & rock I'd mined out. But it did give me a source of lava, so I wasn't all that mad about it.

I just hadn't known that stepping on sand that wasn't sitting on anything would trigger it falling. Kind of cool, really.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
« Reply #7313 on: January 21, 2011, 01:41:08 pm »

I've probably posted this before, but oh well. I was making my home at the bottom of a valley between two cliffs when something truly suprising happened. A creeper dive-combed (literally) off one of the cliffs and exploded right next to me, blowing a hole in my house and leaving me with 1/2 a heart of health. I was fixing the hole when a skeleton (somehow not burning from sunlight) jumped off the other cliff and shot me mid-air, killing me.

I will never make my home at the bottom of a valley again.
I make music under the name Flag Red, check me out:
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7314 on: January 21, 2011, 01:47:17 pm »

I've probably posted this before, but oh well. I was making my home at the bottom of a valley between two cliffs when something truly suprising happened. A creeper dive-combed (literally) off one of the cliffs and exploded right next to me, blowing a hole in my house and leaving me with 1/2 a heart of health. I was fixing the hole when a skeleton (somehow not burning from sunlight) jumped off the other cliff and shot me mid-air, killing me.

I always get squeamish when I see a big long road or rail that cuts through a mountain and nobody bothers to think about what will spawn and drop down from above. I throw up some blocks or fence around lips and overhangs.

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
« Reply #7315 on: January 21, 2011, 01:48:25 pm »

I always get squeamish when I see a big long road or rail that cuts through a mountain and nobody bothers to think about what will spawn and drop down from above. I throw up some blocks or fence around lips and overhangs.

The thing is that I thought I was safe; there were about five creepers and a spider just standing on the edge of the cliff, standing entirely still.
I make music under the name Flag Red, check me out:
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #7316 on: January 21, 2011, 02:46:55 pm »

I just hadn't known that stepping on sand that wasn't sitting on anything would trigger it falling. Kind of cool, really.
Walking on unsupported sand doesn't make it fall, in my experience.

Interacting with it in any way will make it fall; e.g. hitting it with a torch.

In addition, digging the block next to it makes it fall.  And cascades are possible.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #7317 on: January 21, 2011, 02:51:55 pm »

Huh. Must have hit is briefly with my shovel or something and then walked on it. Not sure, exactly. All I know is that it went something like this:

sssssssP
ssssssP_
sssss _
    ~P~

s = sand
P = me
~ = lava
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #7318 on: January 21, 2011, 02:59:43 pm »

^  at first sight I thought that was a bunch of creepers going Sssssshhhhhh chasing players.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #7319 on: January 21, 2011, 03:20:30 pm »

Well, did you step on it at the same time as when you cleared the next one? Was the shovel that fast?
Pages: 1 ... 486 487 [488] 489 490 ... 1380