Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 483 484 [485] 486 487 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2422404 times)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #7260 on: January 17, 2011, 06:34:51 am »

How did you fall in lava? If you bring a bucket of water and dirt for rapid damming, hold shift when needed, and never mine a block you're standing on, you shouldn't ever have an incident you can't survive.
I fell in because I was dumb, and didn't look at where I was mining with my super speedy diamond pickaxe. I fell into a one block wide pool that was too far down to jump out of and there was no way I could build no block under me.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7261 on: January 17, 2011, 06:55:13 am »

So dump your water bucket in a square above/next to yourself to cool it to obsidian. Being waist-deep in obisidian is less of a concern than death, I would imagine.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7262 on: January 17, 2011, 06:57:04 am »

Panicked, died, no going back. Will remember for next time, though.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7263 on: January 17, 2011, 07:12:40 am »

Yup yup.

Any time I go diamond mining, I prepare myself by nomming bread up to full HP and readying my emergency survival kit - bow, 2 stacks of arrows, two grilled pork chops, torches, and a water bucket. The water bucket is the most versatile tool in the game, as you can use it to manage mobs with the current, climb walls by replacing and raising the source block as you swim up, extinguish fire, turn magma to obsidian, extinguish yourself...

Its uses are many and varied.

That kit, especially the water bucket, has resulted in me surviving things I probably should've died to at least four or five times. It saves diamond picks and the things you carry on you and your armor and it's just amazing.

If I could give one piece of advice to new players it would be that when they go underground and go deep for their mining, they take that kit I listed to ensure they survive.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7264 on: January 17, 2011, 07:22:35 am »

Hey, don't feel to bad about lava.  That was the only time I ever savescummed, when I tried digging through the floor over lava, thinking I could keep my footing if I just didn't dig below me.  Messed up and fell in anyway.  It wasn't until after that fuck up that I really started to grasp the fact that I could build and destroy bridges at will.  Building dirt bridges over open space has just always felt like cheating to me.

Still better than that time I built a bridge over lava made of... cloth.  "Hey, what's that crackling sou... OH SHI-" and then I did a sweet jump.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7265 on: January 17, 2011, 01:21:37 pm »

Also, probably old, but hilarious.
He's right. You DO know it's a good gun when you have to load it from the barrel.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7266 on: January 17, 2011, 01:41:50 pm »

So, if I'm using an old version world on the new version server, will it generate new features like birch trees and new ores when we explore and expand the world?

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7267 on: January 17, 2011, 01:45:57 pm »

Yes. new stuff appears in chunk created after the update, but not in already made chunks.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7268 on: January 17, 2011, 01:48:37 pm »

Yes. new stuff appears in chunk created after the update, but not in already made chunks.
Cool. Does that apply to the new mobs too, or will those spring up everywhere?

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #7269 on: January 17, 2011, 02:22:16 pm »

He's right. You DO know it's a good gun when you have to load it from the barrel.
Watching that makes me think, is it possible to trigger all that, and ride the blastwave?

Somebody had to make a successful attempt at that. I'll even try it myself if I could. I won't have any video proof however, unless I livestream a successful launch.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7270 on: January 17, 2011, 02:26:11 pm »

Watching that makes me think, is it possible to trigger all that, and ride the blastwave?

Somebody had to make a successful attempt at that. I'll even try it myself if I could. I won't have any video proof however, unless I livestream a successful launch.
That guy did so and failed. the cart + player went up, abruptly stopped, and landed in the ocean.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #7271 on: January 17, 2011, 02:28:23 pm »

That guy did so and failed. the cart + player went up, abruptly stopped, and landed in the ocean.
Use less TNT then, and not hit escape velocity next time. Plus, it should be possible to rig it in a way to be able to aim it, since it's essentially a compressed energy blast. Just position it in the right spot, and make the launch more linear. Like 2 tiles away instead of 1.

So instead of a 45-degree launch (like most videos), just halve that (22.5-degree) by being 1 more tile away.

Make things more fun, setup an obsidian gate at the launch site, takeoff, then build another gate where you land. See if they can network. You may need to be in peaceful mode and wear diamond armor to be safe if you want to survive the fall.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 02:33:50 pm by Itnetlolor »

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7272 on: January 17, 2011, 04:14:08 pm »

So instead of a 45-degree launch (like most videos), just halve that (22.5-degree) by being 1 more tile away.
Actually, wasn't that one a 22 degree launch?  (At work now, can't see.)  I seem to remember him busting out a block behind the pig that was there to stop the cart.
Code: [Select]
     xP <- x = removed block, Pig in cart
WWWWTBB <- Water, Tnt, Blocks
Edit: Would have been nice to make a reloading cannon if the TNT came out of dispensers as whole blocks and not pickup blocks.  Would also make shutoff switches for water possible.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 04:17:33 pm by Andir »
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #7273 on: January 17, 2011, 05:22:08 pm »

Eskil Steenberg, Creator of indie MMOFPS 'Love' to work on Minecraft graphical engine improvements.

http://www.next-gen.biz/news/love-creator-to-improve-minecraft-graphics

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #7274 on: January 17, 2011, 05:46:50 pm »

So...apparently Bukkit is leaky.

More specifically, it has a memory leak that makes servers go ptooie.

Jaycraft is usually pretty stable, but due to server issues, Jay's had to change the map twice in as many days.

I've been informed that this is incorrect. My apologies.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 05:55:06 pm by dragonshardz »
Pages: 1 ... 483 484 [485] 486 487 ... 1380