Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 481 482 [483] 484 485 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2422400 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 12:46:32 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #7231 on: January 15, 2011, 02:53:14 pm »

Wait, did painterly already update?

No, but I added in all the new material textures using color edits/tweaks/resprites, and made a 2011 Painterly Pack Update of sorts. This also includes an armor mod I cobbled together, since I couldn't stand either the Leather Milkman or Slasher outfits.

Anyway, I just got a tour of a friend of mine's Minecraft project... a huge castle, with turrets, big rooms, huge courtyards, guard towers, all sorts of aesthetic details, etc. He's been working on it over a long period of time, and everything was done without hacked materials or bots... and it is simply awesome. Not only is it huge, but it's designed to be fun to walk through and explore, is functionally defensible, and is gorgeous.

I won't post screenshots because some of the towers and rooms are not finished yet... but I think this is probably the most impressive and functional one-man Minecraft projects I've seen to date. It's the sort of thing that should be at the spawn of a huge MP server, with castle rooms reserved for moderators or something... and it's designed sensibly enough that I could see it working as the core of a Medieval Role-Play server or something too, being that it's entirely defensible, and reasonably accurate.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #7232 on: January 15, 2011, 02:54:28 pm »

No, but I added in all the new material textures using color edits/tweaks/resprites, and made a 2011 Painterly Pack Update of sorts. This also includes an armor mod I cobbled together, since I couldn't stand either the Leather Milkman or Slasher outfits.
Painterly's updated. Has been for a while.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7233 on: January 15, 2011, 03:00:06 pm »

Anyway, I just got a tour of a friend of mine's Minecraft project... a huge castle, with turrets, big rooms, huge courtyards, guard towers, all sorts of aesthetic details, etc. He's been working on it over a long period of time, and everything was done without hacked materials or bots... and it is simply awesome. Not only is it huge, but it's designed to be fun to walk through and explore, is functionally defensible, and is gorgeous.

I won't post screenshots because some of the towers and rooms are not finished yet... but I think this is probably the most impressive and functional one-man Minecraft projects I've seen to date. It's the sort of thing that should be at the spawn of a huge MP server, with castle rooms reserved for moderators or something... and it's designed sensibly enough that I could see it working as the core of a Medieval Role-Play server or something too, being that it's entirely defensible, and reasonably accurate.

Impressive!

I do have to ask, though... defensible by real-life standards, or Minecraft combat standards? The latter usually includes a coating of water to negate cannon fire, layers of magma to limit or delay tunneling efforts, and with the new update, batteries of fully-automatic, remotely-activated arrow launchers. Real-life castles rarely had any of those three.  ;D

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7234 on: January 15, 2011, 03:10:46 pm »

And the former had water moats. In minecraft this is useless and actually hurts defense.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #7235 on: January 15, 2011, 03:52:26 pm »

And the former had water moats. In minecraft this is useless and actually hurts defense.
Magma moats are the real answer.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7236 on: January 15, 2011, 05:06:28 pm »

I also noticed that first loading up a new world, there's a fade in effect with a dark ring that slowly fades out around the edges. I assume that's you waking up into the new world.
Seems to happen every time you load up minecraft.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7237 on: January 15, 2011, 05:45:11 pm »

You gotta love the most amazing redstone wire computer ever!
Srsly. It's awesome. Gotta make one myself!

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #7238 on: January 15, 2011, 06:14:37 pm »

Pshh. Dwarf fortress computer anyday.
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Rotten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7239 on: January 15, 2011, 07:45:51 pm »

It had to happen, didn't it. Just had to.
True, but at a certain velocity the resulting explosion expels invader-bits at fatal speeds. You don't want to be dropping trogdolyte-shaped shrapnel bombs into your boneworks.
Only in Dwarf Fortress...

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7240 on: January 15, 2011, 09:49:39 pm »

That is in no way, shape or form a computer. It's still awesome, though.

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7241 on: January 15, 2011, 11:38:06 pm »

I am so happy my glorious plan worked. I left Minecraft for a month or so with the intention of coming back and being overwhelmed by the new stuff. I am experiencing the wonder and joy that I felt the first time I loaded up Minecraft, the first time I got on a creative multiplayer server, the first time I played survival, back in it's simple goodness, and the first time I got on a survival multiplayer server.

I'm back, Minecraft.

electronics

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Minecraft Address of the server
« Reply #7242 on: January 16, 2011, 04:27:21 am »

DAMMIT, someone beat me to making that!  >:(
1=0

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7243 on: January 16, 2011, 04:38:43 am »

DAMMIT, someone beat me to making that!  >:(
Make yours better

electronics

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Minecraft Address of the server
« Reply #7244 on: January 16, 2011, 06:13:52 am »

That's what I'm thinking.
1=0
Pages: 1 ... 481 482 [483] 484 485 ... 1380