Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 479 480 [481] 482 483 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2422489 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #7200 on: January 14, 2011, 04:02:40 pm »

Wow. Had a few blips in there but overall that's rather impressive!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7201 on: January 14, 2011, 04:30:04 pm »

That was neat. Are there any technophiles here brave enough to finish it, and then have dispenser pop out a CAKE at the end?
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7202 on: January 14, 2011, 05:09:50 pm »

Man I've been experimenting with note blocks and delays and stuff. Crazy, I tell ya what! But definitely fun :) The logic gates are sorta confusing, hehe, but I'm getting it finally.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7203 on: January 14, 2011, 07:05:29 pm »

Huzzah, the Tower of Ifriti is complete!

(Click to enlarge)

Now to go find some Redstone, and make some music boxes and machine guns. And machine guns that shoot out music boxes. Which shoot out heavy metal.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #7204 on: January 14, 2011, 07:06:11 pm »

I like the awnings. It's a nice touch.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7205 on: January 14, 2011, 07:22:22 pm »

They also keep spiders from scaling the walls on the inner tower and entering the observatory from above, though they usually burn up in the fire moat first. Had a brief creeper problem the night before the screenshots, which lead to a breach in the fire moat/sandstone wall... the entire inner moat was swarming with creepers and skeletons in no time flat.

Also, this is the last major Sandstone construction I'm ever doing. The outer wall alone used about 5,000 sand blocks, excavated from the surroundings, and from digging out the basement. Each time it was breached, it took a long time to get enough sand to repair it too.

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #7206 on: January 14, 2011, 08:17:04 pm »

They also keep spiders from scaling the walls on the inner tower and entering the observatory from above, though they usually burn up in the fire moat first. Had a brief creeper problem the night before the screenshots, which lead to a breach in the fire moat/sandstone wall... the entire inner moat was swarming with creepers and skeletons in no time flat.

Also, this is the last major Sandstone construction I'm ever doing. The outer wall alone used about 5,000 sand blocks, excavated from the surroundings, and from digging out the basement. Each time it was breached, it took a long time to get enough sand to repair it too.

Doesn't sandstone stop spiders from climbing? Or is that just a dirty rumor?

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7207 on: January 14, 2011, 08:22:49 pm »

Can spiders climb cacti?

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7208 on: January 14, 2011, 09:38:21 pm »

My current list of projects :

Castle to top of the world! Roughly 35-65% done. Hard to tell where the top of the world is.

The Statue of The Creeper! 5% done. Underground and am just starting digging out space. Much smaller than hoped due to cavern. Fittingly, the statue is right under the castle.

Town around Castle to top of the world! 1 building. That's the old shelter I first had and my entrance to the Statue of The Creeper.

The Mine. Abandoned due to being where the statue of The Creeper will be. Provided stone for castle. The statue of The Creeper actually came to me while expanding my underground mine. I had left pillars that looked fitting for a statue or temple.

The Pit mine to provide resources for all these projects! Just started. Provided dirt for making the town's flat space.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7209 on: January 14, 2011, 09:53:32 pm »

With the top of the world, I always found it a good idea to pillar up us high as you can go, and place a block at the sky limit, before digging back down. That way, you have a nice visual marker, and can plan your structures accordingly.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #7210 on: January 14, 2011, 11:52:30 pm »

Sand and gravel are the fastest blocks to mine.  One use of the shovel can dig out four or more blocks, reliably.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7211 on: January 15, 2011, 12:20:19 am »

It's still a huge amount of material to mine, and unlike stone you are not constantly boring through sand to make rooms.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #7212 on: January 15, 2011, 12:27:39 am »

Can spiders climb cacti?
Yes and no. Yes, they can; no, if you know how to keep them trapped on/in them.

I made a sand/stone tower surrounded by cactii in the middle of a desert biome as a mob farm/safe zone. It stands 6 tiles tall (enough clearance from cactii), has an overhang of 3 tiles on each side to prevent spiders from climbing atop. On top of the passage ladder is a set of 4 wood pillars supporting a flag I planted atop (green/red checker pattern), and a treasure chest in reach stocked with weapons and food. I'll maybe take a pic of it. It look neat, and thanks to placing torches on the flag post, I can see these flags I made a considerable distance away.

I took those shots with a combo of F1 (disable HUD) and F2 (take screenshot).

EDIT:
And spoiler the images.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 01:19:30 am by Itnetlolor »

Taco Dan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of aborted projects
    • View Profile
    • Shattered Monkey Gaming
« Reply #7213 on: January 15, 2011, 12:36:19 am »

Huzzah, the Tower of Ifriti is complete!

(Click to enlarge)

Wait, did painterly already update?
I think I would remember if I had amnesia.
I'd like to remind everyone that half of the time I don't even know what I'm talking about. The other half of the time I only sort of know what I'm talking about.

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7214 on: January 15, 2011, 07:25:50 am »

I saw Minecraft in action at a friend's place. He even graciously allowed me to screw around a bit in one of his worlds. It was all fabulous and dandy until I noticed the portal to the Other Side. I asked him about it and he just smirked. "Listen to this", he said. He plunked headphones on my head and took over the controls. I should have known something was up when I heard the moaning emanating from the portal, but once on the other side ... He ran around in there for about 5 minutes, but that was enough.

It was the closest I ever came to shitting my pants. Literally. I'm a huge fan of scary movies, less so about scary games (like Dead Space for instance). But this time, my whole body was going into "fight or flight" mode. The sounds ... the horrible sounds... Props to Notch for creating it, but once I get my own copy of Minecraft, I'm not spending more than 30 seconds in that place. Get in, dig, get out.

I now have the tiniest of inklings of ideas on how Dwarfs must feel once you breach the Fun place.

*shudder*
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER
Pages: 1 ... 479 480 [481] 482 483 ... 1380