Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 455 456 [457] 458 459 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2423659 times)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft: Like Infiniminer but in Java and in Alpha
« Reply #6840 on: December 11, 2010, 04:00:07 pm »

We are entering beta.  According to Notch's twitter he is thinking about making expansion packs in the future, and people who buy outside of alpha will have to pay for these seperately.
The blog post gave me the impression that Beta Accounts would have to buy the full game again when it was finished.
Yep.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6841 on: December 11, 2010, 04:19:58 pm »

It feels funny, going into beta, when the Alpha we're on is basically fully playable with loads of features.
It's a lot like DF. I bet no one here thinks about how we're in an Alpha stage when a new release comes out giving our adventurers the ability to timewarp and divide by zero.
Until you hit a bug in dividing by zero, and your computer explodes.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6842 on: December 11, 2010, 04:28:34 pm »

‭I was wondering how you guys like doing your roads.

Currently I'm going with a 3 wide [cobblestone][smoothstone][cobblestone]

.. Although I think a 4 wide design would look even better, it wouldn't synch up with the doors of the construct I'm making them lead from. I suppose I could go 5 wide..

Mostly worried about which blocks to make the road out of though. Suggestions?
I tend to like smoothstone enough to build entire paths out of it. Of course, this might not work well with the rest of your structures, and it does cost double the stone and take a lot more time. Depending on how long your "road" is, that might add up rather quickly.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6843 on: December 11, 2010, 04:30:01 pm »

It feels funny, going into beta, when the Alpha we're on is basically fully playable with loads of features.
It's a lot like DF. I bet no one here thinks about how we're in an Alpha stage when a new release comes out giving our adventurers the ability to timewarp and divide by zero.

No, it's still Alpha. There's so much that doesn't work.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6844 on: December 11, 2010, 04:42:06 pm »

No, it's still Alpha. There's so much that doesn't work.

...That's what I said.
Both DF and Minecraft are in alpha but MC will be in beta circa nine days from now.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6845 on: December 11, 2010, 05:20:07 pm »

Notch really IS milking this cash cow for all it's worth. He waits until JUST when the MC craze is at it's peak to say "from now on you need to pay for every update. Nyeh."
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #6846 on: December 11, 2010, 05:28:18 pm »

No he didn't. He said new players will have to pay for every expansion. Bug fix updates are free.

And he didn't even wait until the peak to say it. He's said that from the start.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6847 on: December 11, 2010, 05:34:24 pm »

No he didn't. He said new players will have to pay for every expansion. Bug fix updates are free.

And he didn't even wait until the peak to say it. He's said that from the start.

QFT.  Anyone who bought during alpha will get everything free. Just read his twitter for details.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6848 on: December 11, 2010, 06:13:47 pm »

QFT.  Anyone who bought during alpha will get everything free. Just read his twitter for details.
And he quite literally must provide them for free, because that's the product advertized in buying an Alpha Account. We could sue him otherwise.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6849 on: December 11, 2010, 06:43:08 pm »

He's said: "Buying the game during beta will include all updates up until release, of course, and bug patches will be free."

I really don't think there's anything wrong with this. Granted, I will feel a bit bad if someone comes along later and has to buy 10 expansion packs in order to get all the features I got. But, he's given everyone plenty of warning about the whole thing. There's been plenty of chances to buy it already. Even this change gives everyone over a week to decide if they want to invest the MASSIVE expenditure of 10 euros.

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6850 on: December 11, 2010, 06:52:04 pm »

I feel cool now, for having the game since there were only 9 blocks and no multiplayer at all.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6851 on: December 11, 2010, 06:52:28 pm »

inorite

10 euros is sooo much

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6852 on: December 11, 2010, 07:11:45 pm »

Looks like a man with boobs and a tail.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6853 on: December 11, 2010, 07:19:20 pm »

I'm not denying it's cheep. Right now.

Think. Right now I believe Notch said it's half full price. That means 20E when beta is out. The "expansions" could be 5E tops. Imagine how many big updates there will be between now and whenever Notch drops MC. Now, solve 5X+20.

Now do you get where I'm going?
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6854 on: December 11, 2010, 07:22:55 pm »

I wasn't saying I felt cool for owning a ten-euro game. It's the "I did/knew about/was at this thing before it was cool" feeling. And it feels good.
Pages: 1 ... 455 456 [457] 458 459 ... 1380