Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 451 452 [453] 454 455 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2424319 times)

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft: Like Infiniminer but in Java and in Alpha
« Reply #6780 on: December 07, 2010, 09:23:50 pm »

Notch has said that Minecraft may never be completely finished and even once out of beta he wants to continue adding features to it. I wouldn't be surprised if moving sets of blocks does eventually get put in farther down the road. I think there's a lot of work to be done just to get it to 1.0 though without adding any thing major. As it stands, the world isn't even that big for aircraft, the sky has a limit, and the seas don't tend to be that large either to warrant large scale ships.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6781 on: December 07, 2010, 09:27:24 pm »

It's simply a matter of connecting the blocks together like redstone wire, then having a centeral unit that can be activated (using airships in this case) which will cause it to lift off the ground and turn into a quick screened model and be piloted like an airship would, then on collision with anything the thing would turn solid again or if a special key was pressed. As long as you take the nodes of all those connected blocks and form a model upon completion of that structure (noted from a centeral unit where you confirm final product) you could have it build a model around the basic shape. That's easier said than done I suppose though.
I probably wouldn't take even that much. The collision detection is already done, in the boat, and the connecting tiles is already there, with redstone. It is just a matter of putting them together, and throwing it in. I can easily see a block made by 9 lightstones being the central block, and it would be minimally easy to make a block that connects to itself. The central block takes all of the wall blocks it can make a chain through central blocks and wall blocks and makes them all attached. Then, just add boat physics, and done.

Now, I know little to nothing about programming, and how effective a few copy-paste'd chunks of code would be, so take my thoughts with a few dozen shakes of salt.

Soo.... on an unrelated topic, what, if any, texture packs to y'all use? I use a custom Painterly. If anyone actually cares, I'll upload it, but not a whole lot special about it.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 10:47:35 pm by breadbocks »
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6782 on: December 08, 2010, 03:08:43 am »

Arrghh! You can't just make moving sets of cubes! Boats, airplanes, moving islands, it's all impossible on this system! It's as impossible as having the answer to a crossword puzzle be to write a novel in between the squares!

The only reason Minecraft can work the way it does is because it's built on a grid system.

So, sorry to burst your bubble, but IT IS COMPLETELY IMPOSSIBLE TO MAKE BUILDABLE MOVING STRUCTURES.

Now, entities like animals and one-piece vehichles, CAN work, but that's because they are entirely different from blocks.
It's really choppy, but still fun to ride around in my airship.(Head's server)
It's really horrible for the minecraft chunk-loading system though.

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6783 on: December 08, 2010, 05:48:02 am »

Also concerning sand it gets deleted and made into a entity just as the TNT block
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6784 on: December 08, 2010, 07:42:40 am »

And those falling block entities have no collision detection with other entities. Remember how TNT will all clip into eachother if you detonate a mass of them.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

FluffyToast J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6785 on: December 08, 2010, 08:33:58 am »

Minecraft.net down for everybody else, or just me?

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6786 on: December 08, 2010, 08:34:43 am »

Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

FluffyToast J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6787 on: December 08, 2010, 08:36:03 am »

Well, there you go. Thanks ^^

Super Extreme Edit: It's back up, woo.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 08:50:23 am by Manifold1 »

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #6788 on: December 08, 2010, 11:18:44 am »

Still I'm working away at my 32x32 texture pack. Still trying to keep it looking faithful to the original textures. I've just updated it with new dirt, bark/log, and leaf textures. Comparison: Original vs. Faithful 32x32 Pack

Download links on the Official Topic.

Thoughts?
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6789 on: December 08, 2010, 11:39:41 am »

I'm not much of a fan of 32x texpacks. I think they defeat the style notch was going for here; retro, lores blockiness. Besides, the world can't pull the textures off well.

Maybe I just haven't found the right one yet.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6790 on: December 08, 2010, 11:50:27 am »

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6791 on: December 08, 2010, 11:52:00 am »

Now that's what I like.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6792 on: December 08, 2010, 03:06:37 pm »

There must be a CGA texture pack somewhere :D

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Meta Knight... 0_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #6793 on: December 08, 2010, 03:07:28 pm »

Now I'm waiting for the Super Mario Bros. textures.
Caution: This user may or may not be a horrible evil Elder God from the deepest regions of space. He also may or may not be a lawyer.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6794 on: December 08, 2010, 03:13:08 pm »

Still I'm working away at my 32x32 texture pack. Still trying to keep it looking faithful to the original textures. I've just updated it with new dirt, bark/log, and leaf textures. Comparison: Original vs. Faithful 32x32 Pack

Download links on the Official Topic.

Thoughts?

Not usually fond of high res texture packs, but that looks amazing. The photorealistic look most people try for makes it look alien and ridiculous (see Manic Digger, last time somebody showed me it) but this is... well, it feels like going from the NES to the SNES. A fairly natural transition of things. :D
Pages: 1 ... 451 452 [453] 454 455 ... 1380