Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 329 330 [331] 332 333 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2422100 times)

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft: Like Infiniminer but in Java and in Alpha
« Reply #4950 on: October 03, 2010, 01:13:53 am »

i just picked this up the other day, i've figured out a few recipies and have made some iron tools, swords, helm and boots.  I've pierced a massive underground cavern, any tips on underground exploration, and not getting lost?
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4951 on: October 03, 2010, 01:56:56 am »

i just picked this up the other day, i've figured out a few recipies and have made some iron tools, swords, helm and boots.  I've pierced a massive underground cavern, any tips on underground exploration, and not getting lost?

Always have a clear, well lit escape route that can't be cut off by a mob.

Make sure you check the roof regularly; 1 dark overhead passage can mean limitless zom-bombing that will screw your shit up royally.

Stick to walls, and either explore and light up any side passages, or block them off with dirt fortifications until you're ready to explore.

Keep at least 1 weapon handy at all times, and preferably keep your bow near your torches on your tool bar. Food is likewise important.

Lastly, be careful when walking along cliffs over long drops or magma.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4952 on: October 03, 2010, 02:26:16 am »

The best suggestion I've ever heard to not getting lost: when placing torches, always place them on the right-hand side of the tunnel. This way, if you're headed along an already-lit tunnel, you always know which way you're going by where the torches are. If the torches are on the right, you're going deeper down; if they're on the left, you're headed back the way you came, towards the surface. Simple, and doesn't require dozens of signs telling you where home is (which is what I originally tried. It takes a lot of signs to properly lay out a cave system!).

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4953 on: October 03, 2010, 02:45:01 am »

Playing on a self set limit of only one life I dug out a simple corridor through a mountain then began to dig downwards, I didn't hit any Caverns but I reached the bedrock, landing in the middle of a large Coal vein, I began digging it out when suddenly the midly lit area suddenly lit up big time and the FUN began pouring though the hole. I had no building material on hand (filled with picks and torch) so proptly died........ I was 50days in...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #4954 on: October 03, 2010, 11:59:37 am »

Everybody says do the torch thing to not get lost.  Caves do form loops, you know.

I try to alternate torch placement, left wall/right wall, so that as much area as possible is lit.

For mapping, I just noted that wood and sand are not found underground, so I go in with them and place two sand and one board in a straight line (cardinal, diagonal, or vertical) with the wooden tip indicating the way out.  I try to place these so that I'm always in sight of one.

I indicate that a cave branch has been completely explored by placing two or four sand in a cardinal or diagonal line right at the start of its fork.  I usually dig out the floor and place the sand in it.  Now that I think on it, maybe I should do vertical instead.

And I use occasional signs mostly used to indicate a possible hidden feature where I hear a moan.  I've never gotten lost for more than 15 seconds since I started doing this.

You could do this with other blocks as well.  It would make wool useful, for example.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4955 on: October 03, 2010, 12:44:25 pm »

Everybody says do the torch thing to not get lost.  Caves do form loops, you know.

I try to alternate torch placement, left wall/right wall, so that as much area as possible is lit.

For mapping, I just noted that wood and sand are not found underground, so I go in with them and place two sand and one board in a straight line (cardinal, diagonal, or vertical) with the wooden tip indicating the way out.  I try to place these so that I'm always in sight of one.

I indicate that a cave branch has been completely explored by placing two or four sand in a cardinal or diagonal line right at the start of its fork.  I usually dig out the floor and place the sand in it.  Now that I think on it, maybe I should do vertical instead.

And I use occasional signs mostly used to indicate a possible hidden feature where I hear a moan.  I've never gotten lost for more than 15 seconds since I started doing this.

You could do this with other blocks as well.  It would make wool useful, for example.

Placing torches is just a part of exploring. The other part is placing landmarks like you're doing. I place a triangle of material at the entrance of dead ends or known loops so I can bypass them.

Do both and you'll likely never get lost, barring unforeseen circumstances such as disturbing floating gravel/sand, which may change cavern layout.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #4956 on: October 03, 2010, 02:00:02 pm »

Just be sure to use enough torches; if you leave dark spots, nasties will spawn and eat your face. My method just involves going in, placing tons of torches, and trying to remember my way out. If all else fails, digging up to the surface will help.

Also, anyone got any ideas of what I should build with 278 bricks?

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #4957 on: October 03, 2010, 03:21:40 pm »

Recursion: use the bricks as brick, and wool as the white part of the brick.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4958 on: October 03, 2010, 04:03:12 pm »

Alway; make a nice defensive wall with them. Or a magma lighthouse.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #4959 on: October 03, 2010, 04:53:16 pm »

Added a host of new maps to the Jaycraft page.
I'm still tweaking the ones with the text, but it's neat.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #4960 on: October 03, 2010, 05:25:54 pm »

That's the second time I've played on Jay's server, and both times I got a BSOD within a few minutes. IS this common?

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #4961 on: October 03, 2010, 05:27:25 pm »

That's the second time I've played on Jay's server, and both times I got a BSOD within a few minutes. IS this common?
It's most likely your view distance. Adjust that to shorter, and it should happen less often.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #4962 on: October 03, 2010, 05:29:55 pm »

It never happens offline. Is this just some weird thing with the server software or what?

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4963 on: October 03, 2010, 05:31:24 pm »

Yes. When online you receive your terrain chunks from the server, and with view distance too high it can't keep up. A view distance setting of "normal" usually eliminates the crashing though, try that first and go shorter if it doesn't improve.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #4964 on: October 03, 2010, 07:30:37 pm »

Or a magma lighthouse.
That sounds fun. :D
Pages: 1 ... 329 330 [331] 332 333 ... 1380