Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 308 309 [310] 311 312 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2420741 times)

Derekristow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: Minecraft: Like Infiniminer but in Java and in Alpha
« Reply #4635 on: September 25, 2010, 06:59:14 pm »

Lap, your server just went down.  I had found a motherload too.
So my crundles are staying intact unless they're newly spawned... until they are exposed to anything that isn't at room temperature.  This mostly seems to mean blood, specifically, their own.  Then they go poof very quickly.

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4636 on: September 25, 2010, 07:25:36 pm »

hey guys

ive been watching this thread for a loong time, and im curious  about it, for the least part.

i was wondering if this game eats up memory, or is any bit slow, or could possibly be slow
It does take a decent computer, but it all depends on how much choppiness you can handle.
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4637 on: September 25, 2010, 10:34:01 pm »

hey guys

ive been watching this thread for a loong time, and im curious  about it, for the least part.

i was wondering if this game eats up memory, or is any bit slow, or could possibly be slow
It does take a decent computer, but it all depends on how much choppiness you can handle.

Depends on your definition of decent. I'm running the Windows .exe in Wine on a 6-7-year-old Dell Inspiron laptop, a decent computer by no means. The game is pretty smooth most all the time.

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4638 on: September 25, 2010, 11:15:05 pm »

Alright the skylands + runecraft server is backup. If you play on it PM me or throw down a post here with your user name so I can do add permissions for you on the server. I'll explain the new groups, grief protection, and mana system later. I am le tired.

Im shattershard on the server. Can anyone please link to some sort of runecrafting wiki? I took a quick google glance, but everything led back to runescape.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4639 on: September 25, 2010, 11:28:01 pm »

The minecraft wiki has a page on it.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4640 on: September 25, 2010, 11:38:28 pm »

Is.... is there any way to increase one's chances of finding iron? Some trick to prospecting for it? I've got a half-started (well, less than 1/4th started... more like 1/64th or less? I've pulled out a good 300 cobblestone blocks, at least.) mine and I've covered quite a bit of ground (Maps at ~6 megs at th'mo) scoping out mountains and caves and such looking for an exposed vein but... nothing. I've got coal coming out of my ears (Possessed well over a couple hundred pieces, most going into either glass or torch making), but no iron, no gold... nothing better than stone for tools and such. I'd really like to be able to make a firestarter :-\ Much less effort clean out the tree farm's leaves with those, I hear.

Map seems to be floating island themed, or at least huge-mountains-with-occasional-floaty-bits themed, if that'd make a difference.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4641 on: September 25, 2010, 11:42:49 pm »

Yeah, iron only spawns below ground level, so if you're hunting around mountains, you have to go a bit deeper.  Other than that, it's just a crapshoot.  For all its utility, iron can be pretty hard to find.  Look for long winding natural caves, there's always a few exposed pieces.  And when you do find one, dig all the stone around it for a few blocks; sometimes a cluster of ore (usually 5-8 or so) will have a piece separated from the rest.

In other news, my railway is nearly complete.  Haven't worked on it much today, but it's pretty awesome.  The bridges are by far the hardest part and nowhere near finished (in looking good that is), and I might rebuild a section of track with too many hills.  But I'm nearly there.  Then, castle time.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4642 on: September 25, 2010, 11:52:24 pm »

Yeah, iron only spawns below ground level, so if you're hunting around mountains, you have to go a bit deeper.  Other than that, it's just a crapshoot.
Not quite. My latest game started me near a lake (oh, doesn't it always?) with some exposed rock. In that rock was some coal and iron.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #4643 on: September 26, 2010, 12:26:12 am »

I just did a bit of development and moving a good chunk of land so I could pave a road to my greater mine from a dock.

Spoiler: Before (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: After (click to show/hide)

Despite how little the development may look, paving that road was annoying (plus, it's not finished, I still need more cloth to fill in the path, and the dock needs to be worked on for Greater Mines (with the glowing gateway)). On the bright side, the land removed did add to my stock for future building.

I'm thinking of adding a more proper lighthouse in the peninsula nearby between the bases. I'm hoping I can find some magma so I can make a more epic lighthouse with the glow visible on all sides. But for now, I'll have to resort to torches. Good thing the greater mines are not even started yet. I should be able to find rich veins of ores, plus, unlike the Starter Mine (lower center), I should be able to craft myself a more proper housing, unlike the 1-room hole (though classy in build as it is) I have there.

I remember finding some exposed clay, but in small numbers along a coastline. What are the chances of them appearing underwater below sand? Good? I plan on building a nice small brick house somewhere in my map.

PenguinOverlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4644 on: September 26, 2010, 12:26:49 am »

Yeah, iron only spawns below ground level, so if you're hunting around mountains, you have to go a bit deeper.  Other than that, it's just a crapshoot.  For all its utility, iron can be pretty hard to find.  Look for long winding natural caves, there's always a few exposed pieces.  And when you do find one, dig all the stone around it for a few blocks; sometimes a cluster of ore (usually 5-8 or so) will have a piece separated from the rest.

In other news, my railway is nearly complete.  Haven't worked on it much today, but it's pretty awesome.  The bridges are by far the hardest part and nowhere near finished (in looking good that is), and I might rebuild a section of track with too many hills.  But I'm nearly there.  Then, castle time.
I've found iron on ground level, or at least in caves on ground level.
CleverBot: It hurts when you laugh at me.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4645 on: September 26, 2010, 12:51:12 am »

Yeah, iron only spawns below ground level[...]

Haa, thanks for that tip. Had been holding off doing much work in the mines because the local geography was massively more interesting than a series of 2x2 step stairways into the earth. Anyway, only took just shy of three stone picks before I hit some iron! Now I can burn things... maybe make some better tools or something. Mostly the fire, though.

<Minutes later...>
Oh. There's a cave a single block beyond the iron. Good thing I've got this map in peaceful mode...

EDIT: Oh dear. It's one of the freaking huge ones. Seen I think six branches so far, fully explored three, and this latest branch has both water and lava at the bottom... well, semi-bottom, as the branch itself seems to be branching in different directions. Good thing I brought the making for signs with me.

One of the branches... branches from the top of the cavern. I guess I'm also glad for those 160 or so cobblestone staircase blocks I was totin' around. Ceiling branch (Is it watching me excavate?) wasn't very large, though... wait. Waait. There was another end on the other side of a gap. Little bit of bridge work and... well, the branch is larger, but not really anything interesting in it. Oh well. Except more iron! Between that initial bit and the little deposits I've been finding in the other branches, looks like I'm walking out of this place (To go make a bucket to steal lava with) with a good 3050+ iron pieces. Nicelings.

Amusingly, ceiling branch's iron bits were on the ceiling.

Later edit: Good gods, it doesn't end! I have to go make more signs now.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 01:26:06 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Derekristow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #4646 on: September 26, 2010, 01:39:40 am »

As long as you have a pick or three you've never lost the way to the surface.

On a related note, who else has dotted their map with spiral staircases into the deep?
So my crundles are staying intact unless they're newly spawned... until they are exposed to anything that isn't at room temperature.  This mostly seems to mean blood, specifically, their own.  Then they go poof very quickly.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4647 on: September 26, 2010, 01:41:39 am »

I tend to get lost in caves, myself.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4648 on: September 26, 2010, 01:44:45 am »

Yeah, the times I don't use -- at least -- the torch-on-one-wall thing, I end up horrifically lost and having to tunnel a staircase back up to the surface.

Hand-wall rule and direction markers when dealing with branch hubs and junk saves a lot of headaches. I use signs 'cause I've got a 4x3 tree farm right outside the Casa del Casa (which the mine entrance happens to be inside of, and has a dinky lil'threefour tree farm inside, too) and there's plenty of wood hanging around anyway, so a "Entrance that way >>>" is my preferred method.

Signs are just kinda' neat, really. Isn't there some kinda' hanging one?

Amusingly, though, I finished up the cave not long after finishing the post. Final tally was 58 iron and just over 200 coal.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 01:57:41 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #4649 on: September 26, 2010, 02:06:24 am »

In cave systems, I usually carry a few ladders (min. 16), signs (up to 3 minimum), and at least a full cell (64) of torches, just in case.

Picks and shovels are, of course, default. I also default to making stone ones for speed and durability (but especially price in how common the materials are, and how quickly I can renew the supply of them), or all wood ones for quick dispatch. I won't waste more valuable materials unless I'm going to marathon it, or I hit it rich with the material. Also reason for wood/stone tools.

The ladders are in there in case there are hard to climb pits (also helps to carry some dirt or cloth just in case as well), I would need a few signs to make landmarks or in case the caves lead elsewhere, I can mark it's function, or plop some notes (one for legend, another for placement of ores, and one more as a makeshift map in case the cave is more complex than expected. Maybe a 4th or 5th one to add story/atmosphere.

Now for torches. Whether I'm making mines or exploring caves, I place torches on ceilings or walls in a way that implies where the way to an exit is. If more than one, then another sign may be needed. I would need a full cell in case caves get rather long or complex, and I need plenty of lighting. Should also help to carry some logs and a workshop and maybe a chest just in case as well. (logs are far easier to carry than cells of sticks and wood blocks. It shouldn't hurt to carry/find some coal on your way either. Those portable workshops and logs have saved me a trip quite a few times, and carrying chests cuts material transfer times considerably if especially rich by just acting as a mid-point. Farm the ores, place in chest, finish off and haul home, head back to the chest and head home. Especially helpful if you have a good distance from work site and collection point, and of course your storehouse (best-case: equidistant). It should reduce project construction times by a reasonable amount at a cheap price (time and material-wise).

I think I also tend to use ceiling lamps to work as a form of guidance with where the torch is visible acts as an arrow which direction to head towards the exit/entry point.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 02:17:26 am by Itnetlolor »
Pages: 1 ... 308 309 [310] 311 312 ... 1380