Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2421080 times)

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft: Like Infiniminer but in Java and in Alpha
« Reply #405 on: October 30, 2009, 04:05:47 pm »

I was playing survival mode. I realized exactly how much depth three axies of movement and the ability to build and dig gives (not a pun.) So I'm playing on a small map, small enough to build an entrenched fort. I can see whats between the  corner forts and the next corner of the map, so it's not real risky as long as I don't stray towards the forest in the middle.

My first and most entrentched fort is on this small hill in a corner. small like 16x16, and bumpy. After a large amount of digging, i've set up the fort and dug the trenches 2-3 cubes deep. So I plant a tree on a nearby hill, to champion my future pillbox. Not just any pillbox, but an Indestructible pillbox!
"pew pew"

So i've mined the low hill, dug the dirt and built  the pillbox a  prototype wood roof, and sunk the box into the ground. Done with building for the moment, I leave to check for monsters again. As I leave, I scan the meadows. The rounded trench has the river as it's right most barrier. That barrier has served its job well, though I never remember to leave the monsters be. I think back upon my adventures fighting the spider army, and become sad about the barriers uselessness. As I go, I scan the meadows. I Then I run across the sandy river bank past the chunk of meadow backed by trees on my right hand side. I arrive, and exit left over my river trench wall. I built the wall to guard the river bank's left side, a long bumpy corner hill.

Once there, I build more wall. Then I hurry back and ponder finding a source of indestructible blocks. I consider mining coal, but remain unsatisfied with using half blocks from the underwater coal mine lake( half dug by an exploding green bush). I repair and modify the trench wall of my main for with a block high wall around a 1 deep water pit. I accidentally place tnt though(dam that stuff should be harder to use). After I seek to setup the tnt as some sort of "super defence" I accidentally set it off. I quickly collect all the dirt and sand from my now water-filled pit trench. After some time spent filling in the dirt, I find exploding hobos nearby.

After bashing one sandy hobo and manuevering around the other, I end up retreating across that hole in my ditch defenses. The last hobo is unable to extract himself by jumping. I bash him back into the pit. "Bam" another hole on top my already holey defense ditch fills with water from the nearby lake. I quickly dive in to collect the dirt and sand. But wait, I have struck copper~!

I quickly fill in the whole to remove the water, then place the tnt four squares down to reveal the precious treasure. Boom! The copper sparkles once again. I dig deep into the copper, and retrieve a total of 80 indestructible gray blocks.

I quickly run back to my original design. That indestructible pillbox for fighting all creatures. I make a quick prototype, a 4*8 roof with an indestructible top wall sunk into the ground. I place the second indestructible layer just outside the upper portion, sunk into the earth. this will allow bashing random creatures through the pillbox. I am conemplating a new expansion to allow dodging of skeleton arrows when...

Ouch! something hit me! I turn and am struck again by a spider. I was so surprised I forgot to use my stockpile of mushrooms. Dead before I even realized spiders could walk right into my sunken pillbox.

Whew, that took two days to write!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 04:54:38 pm by eerr »

kholhaus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pissed and Inspired
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: October 30, 2009, 06:24:17 pm »

I've got a (semi)viable solution to control creature spawning.

When a creature dies, they drop a territory marker. Territory markers work like sponges and ward off the spawning masses, leaving them to spawn outside it. The creatures also, later in development, should attack these markers in order to overwhelm the player, and should also attack built structures made out of weaker materials.

So the only way to be ultimately impenetrable would be to:
-Have a four-corner design of Territory Markers.
-Guard those territory markers with metal blocks.
-Build a Tower with Metal foundations and such.
-Bring a buncha metal bricks with you for a portable pillbox
-???
-Profit!

But even then there's the risk of running out of food, falling damage, arrows in the face, etc.
Kholhaus has been inspired recently.
Kholhaus has lost a favorite to tragedy recently.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: October 30, 2009, 08:31:05 pm »

How do you place explosives and gold bricks?

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: October 30, 2009, 09:05:23 pm »

How do you place explosives and gold bricks?

Select them in your block inventory and right click, like any other block.  The gold bricks are ordinary, if very tough, blocks.  For the explosives, if you left click on a placed block, it will be effected by gravity and drop if off the ground, and flash for about three seconds before blowing up.  If you click it again fast enough, you can deactivate it and reuse it.

So, I decided to finally take advantage of my privileges as a subscriber.

Suggestions?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: October 30, 2009, 09:11:38 pm »

Use the 3D option to enhance your chin. I'm actually surprised you didn't do that already.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: October 31, 2009, 05:33:34 am »

Use the 3D option to enhance your chin. I'm actually surprised you didn't do that already.
Wait, are you serious?
Aquizzar can keep his chin?

And a definite yes to multiplayer survival, as long as one important thing is fixed: mobs shouldnt spawn anywhere, but at specific places (lairs?). Why do i say this? Trust me, you'd agree with me if you spent an hour carefully building the ultimate wall without getting killed by the stuff on the other side, only to have a random group of spiders spawn BEHIND you, INSIDE your fort, and slaughter you.

I'm sure Notch has gotten plenty of feedback on that and is planning some kind of control over spawning.  Or maybe not, I don't know.  I do know that clearing spiders out of my villa whenever I leave gets real old real fast.
hah yea.

But my defenses are made such that rarely monsters spawn "in" my fort. Usually they are outside in the area near the pillbox where I can see them.
So all I have to do is leave for awhile and go work on one of my other fortifications untill they leave.

Also, 4/7 of my deaths are due to spiders, twice in the back while looking away!
My fort-ditches still need more spider-proofing.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 05:39:03 am by eerr »

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: October 31, 2009, 09:22:45 pm »

http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/292/skeletons.png

With great vigor, and an unflinching resolve I bashed 5 skeletons to death. I only used about 4 mushrooms, and almost maxed my arrows.
On halloween!

Btw, thats my explosion proof bunker, complete with a cobblestone floor.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: November 01, 2009, 12:29:03 am »

This game...
 ;D :o :) ;) :D ;D :o ;D ;D :D :) :o 8)

We definitely need a bay12 server.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: November 02, 2009, 12:06:10 pm »

honestly multiplayer minecraft will need more depth.

Like, goals or something.

perhaps the "goal" will be to protect  your "champion" with fortress defenses?
Either a player, or an AI with a very good following program. Hell, an AI that follows you around untill you tell it to "man" a spot would be pretty nice.

Also, 2x2 bonfires that ward off spawning. Maintain the bonfire or risk invasion!

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: November 06, 2009, 10:04:33 pm »

bump.

My giant gold tower with wood stairs is coming along nicely.

I've already built gold to the ceiling, and dug down to the lava bottom.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: November 11, 2009, 12:48:35 am »

bump.

My giant gold tower with wood stairs is coming along nicely.

I've already built gold to the ceiling, and dug down to the lava bottom.
But i'm playing on a small map and therfore mined out all the gold already >.<

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: November 11, 2009, 12:16:55 pm »

So... are we going to get a B12 server soonishly?
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: November 11, 2009, 04:51:08 pm »

http://www.minecraft.net/play.jsp?user=Timmay&id=0
Behold, Gemmailia!
My ongoing map from version 13. Try and find all the super secrets. Anyone else made any towns/puzzles/awesome things.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #418 on: November 18, 2009, 03:10:27 am »

Maggarg, that's amazing. Seriously.

I was bored on my stream and someone suggested this so I cranked up a server and piddled around with NewMars, Rashilul, and Itnetlolor. Should try'n get even more people involved next time.
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: November 18, 2009, 10:30:56 am »

Set a server up good sir!

We can build our Dream Fortress!

It may even get placed on the front page of the Devlog.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 1380