Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1285 1286 [1287] 1288 1289 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2423629 times)

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #19290 on: June 07, 2015, 12:50:39 am »

I think I'll regret posting in this thread, but--

I've always found cave exploration to be MUCH more productive than straight-up mining.
And on multiplayer servers it's quite fun too, always random crap to discover.... depending on the age of the server.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19291 on: June 07, 2015, 01:21:22 am »

I find caves the most useful for mining every ore type. Though this is offset by the fact that I am way too afraid of Minecraft caves.

Only caves from Minecraft, though. No other caves in games (e.g. Terraria) can invoke the same intense fear in me.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #19292 on: June 07, 2015, 03:38:00 am »

Cave-mining becomes much more productive if you have some mods that add more ores.

Also mobs don't spawn on transparent blocks, so you can just stay on top of the trees during the night.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19293 on: June 07, 2015, 08:52:43 am »

Back in alpha, in my very first world, I had my house against a mountain, over a crater-looking depression.
I didn't have many caves, but explored the ones I did find.
However, there was a cave entrance under my house. It was pretty narrow but it was there. I was afraid enough to actually craft a set of armor to explore there (I tend not to use armor), and it turned out it was literally five blocks deep :P

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #19294 on: June 07, 2015, 09:05:18 am »

I find caves the most useful for mining every ore type. Though this is offset by the fact that I am way too afraid of Minecraft caves.

Only caves from Minecraft, though. No other caves in games (e.g. Terraria) can invoke the same intense fear in me.

Diamonds and emeralds are really hard to find while caving.  In that case the grid is your best bet.

If you're playing with mods there's some other options.  Witchery lets you summon a devil that will mark locations on the surface where diamonds lie beneath in exchange for a diamond.  Like most things in witchery, it's expensive and clunky and by the time you can do it you won't need it anymore.

My friend has an Ender Quarry running.  He fences off a chunk and feeds it ender pearls and over the course of like a half hour or so it'll take literally every block in that chunk from the surface to bedrock, teleport it into its system where it can be sorted, processed, and stored in its proper place, and replace it with dirt.  He has like a hundred diamonds.

He's basically automated so much of the game there's nothing left to play so he's settled for building a holy-fuck-huge Orthanc.  I thought the tower I built was pretty cool, it looks like I took a chunk of land and ripped it out of the ground, set it to floating and built a bridge for it.  His is so big mine could fit inside it.

It's okay though, I've been needing to expand anyway.  I'm doing thaumcraft and starting to get into the alchemy aspects of it.  I'm gonna need a lot of space to run all this arcane machinery so I might move into his tower or I might build something underground, hollow out a mountain.

Thaumcraft is a lot of fun.  The alchemy actually feels like alchemy.  The magic is powerful and risky and exciting whereas Witchery is clunky and awkward.  Thaumcraft is sort of a mystical alternative to stuff like thermaldynamics and applied energistics whereas Witchery feels like something more for a pvp roleplay server.  Lots of avenues for extreme griefing in that one.
Shoes...

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19295 on: June 07, 2015, 09:09:03 am »

The fun in automation is building ever more automation :P

XXXXYYYY

• Bay Watcher
  • Been a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19296 on: June 07, 2015, 10:54:29 am »

Indeed!

On an unrelated note, I've been making some creatures for a potential map I was thinking of making. The idea is that the only way to get any core resources (wood, stone, iron, obsidian, that sort of thing) was to kill special mobs found throughout the map. They've all got some special bonus ability as well to spice things up a little.
For example, here's the iron mob:
They've got some nasty tricks up their sleeve, but killing a group with a stone sword and leather armor is definitely possible.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 06:21:43 pm by XXXXYYYY »
Oooooooo. I know. ClF3. That should be a fun surprise.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19297 on: June 07, 2015, 05:45:37 pm »

Probly should have checked for a main MC thread before I made a new one :-[  Anyways, I've been playing a server for a couple years now.  Started a cave/labyrinth home, but eventually burned out.  I'm wondering if anyone would like to help me turn it into a proper Dwarf Fortress; magma falls, traps, bridges, the works.  Just drop me a line if you are so inclined :)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19298 on: June 08, 2015, 01:13:45 am »

Ok I've been working with the big reactors mod, and according to the simulator, it seems like the way to go is many control rods, and very little coolant.

For example, a 5x5x5(space inside) reactor, the best seems to be one coolant in the middle and the rest control rods. And a 3x3x3 seems to be best as entirely control rods, no coolant or air spaces.

This doesn't seem right. Isn't there a risk of overheating?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #19299 on: June 08, 2015, 01:19:56 am »

the simulator is wrong

there is no risk of overloading

check your efficiency (RF/mB)

(well, more specifically, (RF/t)/(mB/t), but it all equals the same thing anyway)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 01:22:48 am by Putnam »

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19300 on: June 08, 2015, 01:42:56 am »

So where can I check these if the simulator is wrong? I'm not building reactor after reactor to check which combination is most efficient.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #19301 on: June 08, 2015, 01:49:16 am »

...I meant that the simulator may not be wrong and you may be misunderstanding with those last 3 lines, but apparently I managed to completely avoid actually saying that

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #19302 on: June 08, 2015, 04:17:42 am »

More fuel rods does mean more power. However, as the temperature goes further away from 1000(I think? Might be 500), the less RF you get per unit of fuel. Say, you might get 50k rf per ingot but 100 rf/t in one configuration, and 10k per ingot but 500 rf/t in another configuration.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #19303 on: June 08, 2015, 10:05:33 am »

Are we back to talking about mods in here? Some people complained before.

I'm playing through the Hubris modpack right now with my wife. We've just got the inventarium set up with deliver/retrieval golems. I'm focused mainly on thaumcraft for now while she is working through Botania. Thaumcraft (plus addons) seems to be a viable replacement for most tech mods. I have automated storage and retrieval of items and autocrafting already. Soon I should have a configurable mob spawner to provide us with some of the more annoying products to get, like blaze rods. The wrath cage can spawn blazes from ignis essentia, so that is pretty easy to supply and blaze rods are annoying to get in this pack.

We haven't really started on blood magic (the altar is gated with a much more difficult recipe) or ars magica. I want to look into the new flickers from Ars, they seem like a really useful replacement for the old sigils.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19304 on: June 09, 2015, 07:26:11 pm »

People complain that since there is so many mod comments, there should be threads separately for vanilla and mods. But then there are people complaining about the threads being separate. Considering there is more content in mods than vanilla and it's reasonable to assume that more people play with mods than just vanilla, I don't really see the point in separating them.
Pages: 1 ... 1285 1286 [1287] 1288 1289 ... 1380