Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1280 1281 [1282] 1283 1284 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2423539 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #19215 on: March 20, 2015, 05:14:07 am »

I started... some time in alpha. Before the nether anyway. Then when the biome stuff came in I just kind of stopped and never started again.

I wish I remembered what I'd done with my first world, indeed even what computer it was on. It was a pretty great one geographically and it had my first "mega"project I'd ever made in MC.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #19216 on: March 20, 2015, 05:54:18 am »

I bought the game the exact day it went from alpha into beta - and managed to get it while it was still in alpha, so it was a few ps cheaper.
When it went beta and biomes were added, I'd walk around the world for half an hour, doing nothing but admiring the terrain, so beautifully generated - it was awesome by those standards.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #19217 on: March 25, 2015, 05:32:52 am »

I'm co-ordinating some peeps into playing some TFC on a server

TFC=Terrafirmacraft

link
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #19218 on: March 25, 2015, 07:46:17 am »

I'm co-ordinating some peeps into playing some TFC on a server

TFC=Terrafirmacraft

link
Didn't end well last time. I'll watch for amusement. :)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #19219 on: March 25, 2015, 07:50:32 am »

I bought the game the exact day it went from alpha into beta - and managed to get it while it was still in alpha, so it was a few ps cheaper.
When it went beta and biomes were added, I'd walk around the world for half an hour, doing nothing but admiring the terrain, so beautifully generated - it was awesome by those standards.
Alpha terrain was even better.
I remember my first world. I think it may still exist somewhere on an old PC, but I don't know where.
I had a reed farm, an ugly cobblestone house, an ugly cobblestone tower... I even had one of Ethos wood duplicators, back when that still worked.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19220 on: March 25, 2015, 03:40:58 pm »

Ugly cobblestone towers? Man I had like 3 of those, connected by a series of slightly less ugly mixed-material (but mostly cobblestone) sky bridges.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #19221 on: March 25, 2015, 03:44:27 pm »

I used to live in a dirt shack. Then I figured out how to mine and started replacing it with ugly cobblestone. Then I started to replace that with wood planks, which I proceeded to burn down while trying to figure out how furnaces worked.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #19222 on: March 25, 2015, 04:03:38 pm »

My very first house was actually okay-ish, if with a bit of a low ceiling (as I played MC, my ceilings got progressively higher), because I insisted on building it my way. I wasted like three nights setting it up and it was located on top of a gravel mound I made underneath, with the idea being it would restrict monster access, but it ended up biting me in the ass as I was digging a mine access from within the house...

...in a corner. Meaning I dug through gravel right to the outside. In the middle of the night. While completely not equipped for combat and with zero robustness. There was much panicked gravel replacement.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19223 on: March 25, 2015, 04:08:05 pm »

So doing a quick google search revealed a plethora of threads begging Mojang to fix terrain generation to be good like wot it wos in 1.7
They haven't.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #19224 on: March 25, 2015, 04:10:35 pm »

So doing a quick google search revealed a plethora of threads begging Mojang to fix terrain generation to be good like wot it wos in 1.7
They haven't.
Well, it's hard NOT to find a plethora of threads begging Mojang to revert any change du jour in the Minecraft community (or, historically, whining about Notch adding feature X instead of working on feature Y), so it's not that good a metric TBH.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19225 on: March 25, 2015, 07:25:40 pm »

So question. I think I have become pretty competent at large scale buildings, mostly castles, manors, and various fortifications. I really love building and creative mode. What I hate is that people will never use what I build. I was with a group for a while, but it just kinda fell apart a bit. Regardless, it wasn't the best place to fulfill my above dream. So the question is, what can I do and where can I do it to building some awesome stuff that people will use? Preferably a lot of people. Or at least a couple.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19226 on: March 25, 2015, 07:58:18 pm »

What's Minecraft?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #19227 on: March 25, 2015, 08:14:23 pm »

So question. I think I have become pretty competent at large scale buildings, mostly castles, manors, and various fortifications. I really love building and creative mode. What I hate is that people will never use what I build. I was with a group for a while, but it just kinda fell apart a bit. Regardless, it wasn't the best place to fulfill my above dream. So the question is, what can I do and where can I do it to building some awesome stuff that people will use? Preferably a lot of people. Or at least a couple.
I like building in survival. Means I use the stuff I build. And the stuff I build takes effort to gather the materials. Which makes finishing the building much more satisfying.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19228 on: March 25, 2015, 08:17:29 pm »

I respect that and I get it, but I really don't care about the survival aspect of MC, I never did. It's just about building awesome things for me, and I imagine that it always will be. If there's a group of people out there who feel the same and build for servers on which alot of people play then I'd be pretty happy.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19229 on: March 25, 2015, 08:23:38 pm »

I respect that and I get it, but I really don't care about the survival aspect of MC, I never did. It's just about building awesome things for me, and I imagine that it always will be. If there's a group of people out there who feel the same and build for servers on which alot of people play then I'd be pretty happy.

One of the things that made me really happy was when, playing survival, I built a very cool Applied Energistics 1 storage system (back when it was quick and simple to set-up) and gave the Wireless Terminal thing to my group of friends, and they minds got blown - especially with the autocrafting.
I had some fun with Minecraft in the early days (I discovered it when it only had grass in a flat place and a few other things), but after playing with Tech mods it became a real obsession in automating stuff.

But you like building in creative but dislike that people don't use your stuff? I kind of don't get what you mean.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.
Pages: 1 ... 1280 1281 [1282] 1283 1284 ... 1380