Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1252 1253 [1254] 1255 1256 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2422975 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #18795 on: September 16, 2014, 05:02:40 am »

I would mod the shit out of a C# minecraft.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18796 on: September 16, 2014, 06:10:41 am »

Huh, if they rebuilt it in a better language, and it increased performance etc... I'd pay 10 bucks for that......................................................

Shit.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18797 on: September 16, 2014, 06:40:40 am »

The problem with an official modding API is that it usually restricts what can be modded to what the developers designed to be moddable. I foresee that many of the neat Forge mods out there wouldn't be able to be rewritten with an official modding API.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #18798 on: September 16, 2014, 09:57:17 am »

WP is actually quite a good OS. But ze apps, it needs ze apps!

Microsoft owns Mojang.

1. Rewrite Minecraft in C# with modding API support
2. You now have a boatload of new C# programmers with ideas who learned from modding Minecraft.
3. ez windows store apps
Rewriting MC in C# would be pretty cool, C# is a nice language.

Also, a modding API could have been made expansive enough if they made ut when they first promised it, e.g. a couple years ago when the modding scene was still smallish.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 09:59:19 am by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18799 on: September 16, 2014, 11:16:53 am »

Weh, command blocks are a pain to learn how to finagle with. I want to put together something that basically takes a look at items in a hopper, puts the materials they're made from in another hopper, and then destroys the original items, because the map I'm working on is gonna have a recycling plant. But of course, that's probably something really advanced and not capable of being shoved into the bowels of an 11-block-wide ship. :v

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18800 on: September 16, 2014, 04:38:35 pm »

Weh, command blocks are a pain to learn how to finagle with. I want to put together something that basically takes a look at items in a hopper, puts the materials they're made from in another hopper, and then destroys the original items, because the map I'm working on is gonna have a recycling plant. But of course, that's probably something really advanced and not capable of being shoved into the bowels of an 11-block-wide ship. :v

It is, actually. You just have to put the bulk of the assembly somewhere else. They can remotely target blocks, even if the chunk they're in isn't currently loaded if I remember right.

I'm really worried about Microsoft's acquisition of Minecraft though. Myself and a few others I know have got an adventure RPG type map in the works, more than a year in the works actually, that still needs several months worth of work at the pace we've been going. I'm very aware of the possibility of Microsoft doing something that incidentally renders it obsolete, or brings away any kind of audience it would attract. They don't have a very good track record with this sort of thing, and they're gonna want to make up their investment.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18801 on: September 16, 2014, 05:03:46 pm »

It's like abandoning ship before checking to make sure there's actually hull breaches. Sure, there may be some icebergs up ahead, but they might not sink the ship.
I think a better analogy is that the iceberg has hit and people are panicking with out checking to see if there is any damage.  So far all it's done is shave off some ice into the upper-decks drinks.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18802 on: September 16, 2014, 06:03:22 pm »

thus far, doing nothing to change the game itself

"nothing thus far to change the game"

The deal just got announced. They literally haven't had any time to screw with anything, so "no fuck ups thus far" really doesn't indicate anything one way or another.

At this point the analogous situation in politics would be that a new President just got elected but hasn't been sworn in yet. "thus far, He hasn't fucked anything up" would be laughable in that situation. But it's still legitimate to point out the guys prior history, actions and statements to predict how he's going to run things.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 06:06:54 pm by Reelya »

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18803 on: September 16, 2014, 06:06:22 pm »

I think the "main" problem here is people confusing Microsoft with stereotypical EA stuff.
"dey gonna ruin the game by adding tons of DLC!!!!", etc.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18804 on: September 16, 2014, 06:08:58 pm »

Something has changed though. Previously, i might consider shelling out for a copy of MineCraft (I don't play it at the moment, in fact I don't really seem to have time to play anything right now), supporting independent developers and all that. But just the knowledge that the money is going to MicroSoft might make me think twice.

As for people asking how Microsoft will manage to wring $2.5 billion out of Mojang: they don't really have to, because that's not how investments work. They had all this cash lying around doing very little, they've exchanged it for something of value that creates a revenue stream. Plus, that thing (shares) maintains value in and of itself.

Realistically, they'd expect a 5-10% per-year return on that money, and that can come from both sales revenue, outsourcing work from Microsoft to Mojang (they can shift game dev stuff from in house to Mojang making it more efficient) and increases in the share value of the thing they bought.

Plus, if the value of shares actually falls they can then declare a loss for tax purposes. So they might even make a windows phone minecraft and make that shit a FREEBIE that comes with Windows Phone. Looking at the long game, boosting Windows Phone with popular free apps would be worth taking a loss on Mojang, which could just be written off on taxes anyway.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 06:18:03 pm by Reelya »

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18805 on: September 16, 2014, 06:45:41 pm »

Worst case scenario, whatever comes after the Minecraft we have now is utter shit and nobody upgrades past 1.8.

Forge for this version is already in the works and we have the source code if we need anything more. The modding community isn't going to stop modding for a while. I'm pretty sure Microsoft can't retroactively scrub the 'net of Minecraft as it currently is.
Nothing important here, move along.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #18806 on: September 16, 2014, 07:16:59 pm »

This is starting to sound like the dust 514 forums when CCP revealed what Project legion was even though its apparently nowhere near done. But with less panicked claims of ps3 betrayal and so on and more general worry over what MS is going to do with it along with a large glob of panic.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #18807 on: September 16, 2014, 08:02:47 pm »

But with less panicked claims of ps3 betrayal...

Speaking of the PS3, wonder how long it will be for Microsoft to axe that version of the game.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18808 on: September 16, 2014, 08:15:02 pm »

Never.

MS has already stated that they plan to keep Minecraft available for all the current platforms. Maybe not any of the possible future releases if any, but Minecraft as it is (and future updates) will still be on PS3+PS4.

"That is why we plan to continue to make Minecraft available across platforms – including iOS, Android and PlayStation, in addition to Xbox and PC. "
From here.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #18809 on: September 16, 2014, 08:48:52 pm »

Microsoft bought Mojang?

Shit, man, this isn't going anywhere good.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.
Pages: 1 ... 1252 1253 [1254] 1255 1256 ... 1380