Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1251 1252 [1253] 1254 1255 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2422956 times)

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #18780 on: September 15, 2014, 09:29:30 pm »

The real reason Microsoft paid that much for Minecraft:
Minecraft is the next generation's Pokemon. That's why it's worth $2.5 billion.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18781 on: September 15, 2014, 09:34:11 pm »

The real reason Microsoft paid that much for Minecraft:
Minecraft is the next generation's Pokemon. That's why it's worth $2.5 billion.
I'm not sure what part of this is more frightening. The idea that Pokémon is dying (I was never a huge fan of it but there's some nostalgia there), or the idea that
1. There will be Minecraft sequels
2. There will be 2-3 versions of each sequel
3. 10 years after the original sequel releases there will be gimmicked-up rereleases with meaningless filler words affixed to the titles
EDIT:
4. There will be a Minecraft multimedia franchise
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #18782 on: September 15, 2014, 09:40:43 pm »

4 is probably the only thing meant to be implied by the pokémon comparison.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18783 on: September 15, 2014, 10:04:30 pm »

4 is probably the only thing meant to be implied by the pokémon comparison.
Sequels are possible, though. The base game can only be stretched so far before it becomes an incoherent mess. I think that Minecraft sequel designed with a specific unifying concept could actually be interesting, depending, of course, on how well it was done. Minecraft as it is is, admittedly, five years of feature creep that result in a sort of confusing quicksand-box game.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18784 on: September 15, 2014, 10:08:19 pm »

I don't foresee a sequel, I foresee a rapidly growing support for the versions of MC on Microsoft platforms that isn't average PC windows.  More things in Xbox MC, more things in mobile windows version of MC.  This along with probably a ton of more merchandising.

All of the shirts and magnets.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18785 on: September 15, 2014, 10:46:11 pm »

I don't foresee a sequel, I foresee a rapidly growing support for the versions of MC on Microsoft platforms that isn't average PC windows.  More things in Xbox MC, more things in mobile windows version of MC.  This along with probably a ton of more merchandising.

All of the shirts and magnets.
There are already shirts and magnets. I'm interested what they really will come up with next for merch. How desperate they get.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18786 on: September 15, 2014, 10:50:22 pm »

I said more, not the same stuff.  Merchandise also means more than shirts and such, if they have full control of the license of the product they can make a Minecraft ANYTHING.

TBH I fully expect to see in the future payed for permanent servers for Xbone (at least) that provide a infmap for that audience.  Probably won't be the first new payed for service, but it will be the one that makes the most sense.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18787 on: September 15, 2014, 10:55:59 pm »

Well apparently there's no Windows Phone version. It makes sense that this is going to be fixed soon. Windows Phone needs some apps. And it needs a user-base. Younger users are probably a good bet.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18788 on: September 15, 2014, 11:14:13 pm »

Well apparently there's no Windows Phone version. It makes sense that this is going to be fixed soon. Windows Phone needs some apps. And it needs a user-base. Younger users are probably a good bet.
Does anyone actually use Windows phones? I don't want to be that guy, but they just seem... eh.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18789 on: September 15, 2014, 11:17:03 pm »

Does anyone actually use Windows phones? I don't want to be that guy, but they just seem... eh.
They're not that bad, really. They're like a iPhone, but more Microsoft-y and less stuff on the marketplace. Which is probably a large reason MS bought Mojang.
Because really, the WP is a viable competitor to androids+iOS, but as said before, it lacks on the apps front.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18790 on: September 15, 2014, 11:25:33 pm »

Actually targeting kids has a lot of potential. Kids don't have much "history" stigma / Microsoft hate. they could load the phones full of kiddie apps/colorful games, along with massive parental lock stuff which filters out any naughty stuff. Roll that up and flog off cheap phones for tweens. It could well be the only way Win-Phone gets it's foot in the door.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18791 on: September 15, 2014, 11:30:25 pm »

Someone elsewhere reminded me of one thing: Microsoft has tens of billions of dollars tucked away outside the US. Mojang is not a US company and Notch is not a US citizen. Buying Minecraft is likely a tax avoidance move.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18792 on: September 16, 2014, 01:48:40 am »

WP is actually quite a good OS. But ze apps, it needs ze apps!
Magma is overrated.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #18793 on: September 16, 2014, 01:50:23 am »

WP is actually quite a good OS. But ze apps, it needs ze apps!

Microsoft owns Mojang.

1. Rewrite Minecraft in C# with modding API support
2. You now have a boatload of new C# programmers with ideas who learned from modding Minecraft.
3. ez windows store apps

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18794 on: September 16, 2014, 02:36:46 am »

Windows Phones don't have any detotaded wam though.
Pages: 1 ... 1251 1252 [1253] 1254 1255 ... 1380