Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1237 1238 [1239] 1240 1241 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2423628 times)

evilnancyreagan

• Bay Watcher
  • not regular type
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #18570 on: August 29, 2014, 04:15:16 pm »

Forumside, throw up a thread either in Other Games or Play with your Buddies. Clientside, some porting work is required. Throw application details and your piece in the first post, and see what happens.

Excellent, thanks for the heads up!

anyone been playing the pre-release?

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #18571 on: August 29, 2014, 04:28:22 pm »

I started up a SSP world on my laptop once the snapshots started coming out. I was impressed that I could get ~50 FPS during play, and as many as 100 if I stood very still and stared at the floor. Before 1.8, I would be lucky if I got 20 FPS even with Optifine and everything set to minimum, if not off entirely.
Other than experimenting with slime blocks in Creative one day, I haven't really been doing anything interesting, though.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

evilnancyreagan

• Bay Watcher
  • not regular type
    • View Profile
« Reply #18572 on: August 29, 2014, 04:47:28 pm »

Mojang basically re-wrote Minecraft over the last few patches in preparation for the Workbench API and 1.8 introduces the most significant (although somewhat invisible) changes of the lot. I wonder what the futures holds in store for Optifine and all other mods now that Bukkit is essentially MIA for the time being. Hopefully we'll have some answers come Tuesday.

evilnancyreagan

• Bay Watcher
  • not regular type
    • View Profile
« Reply #18573 on: August 29, 2014, 04:56:28 pm »

How many frames?

ALL THE FRAMES!

over 9000 FPS

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #18574 on: August 29, 2014, 05:11:50 pm »

I'll be happy once Forge and various mods start to update. Though to be fair, most of my modded games are still on 1.6.4, so that's a ways off yet.
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

evilnancyreagan

• Bay Watcher
  • not regular type
    • View Profile
« Reply #18575 on: August 29, 2014, 05:28:41 pm »

after my previous Minecraft binge, I consigned myself to never touch 1.6 again.

With the recent changes to the EULA and the radical alteration to Minecraft itself, I wonder if the modding community has the heart to work with 1.8. Games like Landmark, ArcheAge, Unturned (and countless other titles cribbed from Minecraft's success) have really taken the wind out of the community's sails.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18576 on: August 29, 2014, 05:33:16 pm »

after my previous Minecraft binge, I consigned myself to never touch 1.6 again.

With the recent changes to the EULA and the radical alteration to Minecraft itself, I wonder if the modding community has the heart to work with 1.8. Games like Landmark, ArcheAge, Unturned (and countless other titles cribbed from Minecraft's success) have really taken the wind out of the community's sails.
I understand what you mean by "EULA changes", but they haven't actually changed it*. They just stopped enforcing it.

Anyway, modders can still accept donations, I think. Adfly might not be allowed anymore, but they're probably going to be focusing on shutting down P2W servers.

*They're about to change it to make aesthetic purchases legal, but that's actually better for servers than the old EULA.

evilnancyreagan

• Bay Watcher
  • not regular type
    • View Profile
« Reply #18577 on: August 29, 2014, 05:55:56 pm »

yeah yeah, you know what I mean. semantics ;p

Yeah, modders can still take donations but, with the P2W servers gone, does Minecraft retain enough player appeal to garner their modding interest?

hey look, I'm not a cretin anymore!

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #18578 on: August 29, 2014, 06:00:15 pm »

I don't really see the problem with the new EULA. Restricting pay-to-win servers? I'd commend them for that. That shows more care for their userbase than the overwhelming majority of other companies.

Anyway, unless another game comes along that does everything Minecraft does, but better, I don't see it losing out any time soon. Minecraft is literally the most popular video game ever - it's always going to have a fanbase. Pay-to-win servers are not - not - I repeat, not - the game's core attraction.
Many of the changes in 1.8 are a big step towards the long-awaited modding/plugin API, and that's more likely to encourage the modding community than deter it.

Your excessive posting in this thread apparently has warranted you the title of Bay Watcher. Congratulations. Use it well.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #18579 on: August 29, 2014, 06:09:00 pm »

It's the third best selling game of all time. I'm 100% sure P2W servers had absolutely nothing to do with that or with interest in modding it.

I mod Dwarf Fortress, a game where modding is designed in such a way that they cannot be closed-source. Skyrim's mod community isn't interested in adf.ly. Minecraft's is the only modding community that seems to expect income.

evilnancyreagan

• Bay Watcher
  • not regular type
    • View Profile
« Reply #18580 on: August 29, 2014, 06:16:26 pm »

I don't really see the problem with the new EULA. Restricting pay-to-win servers? I'd commend them for that. That shows more care for their userbase than the overwhelming majority of other companies.

Anyway, unless another game comes along that does everything Minecraft does, but better, I don't see it losing out any time soon. Minecraft is literally the most popular video game ever - it's always going to have a fanbase. Pay-to-win servers are not - not - I repeat, not - the game's core attraction.
Many of the changes in 1.8 are a big step towards the long-awaited modding/plugin API, and that's more likely to encourage the modding community than deter it.

I agree that  enforcing their EULA was a good move but, Mojang's past lenience with it has earned them quite a few fair-weather-friends. I personally love Minecraft's blocky, lo-fi retro heart but, a lot of other people do not. Check out some of those games I mentioned in the previous post, they are all almost populated entirely with Minecraft runoff. You're right, Minecraft is going to be here for the foreseeable future but, it will be a renaissance akin to it's humbler beginnings.

Your excessive posting in this thread

that sounds almost venomous, no?

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18581 on: August 29, 2014, 06:26:53 pm »

Your excessive posting in this thread

that sounds almost venomous, no?
Eleven out of the last twenty-three posts are yours, so I'd say it's a pretty accurate statement.

evilnancyreagan

• Bay Watcher
  • not regular type
    • View Profile
« Reply #18582 on: August 29, 2014, 06:30:47 pm »

It's the third best selling game of all time so far*. I'm 100% sure P2W servers had absolutely nothing to do with that or with interest in modding it.

FTFY*

The popularity of these servers had no effect on Minecraft's exposure whatsoever? Heck, there's no way the FTB team would have ever been a thing without Minecraft's massive audience, an audience whose size can be accredited in part to P2W servers.

evilnancyreagan

• Bay Watcher
  • not regular type
    • View Profile
« Reply #18583 on: August 29, 2014, 06:32:17 pm »

here ya go, I'll only use one post because apparently post count is serious business.

Honestly, I came here looking for a fun, unique group of people to play minecraft with. Dwarf Fortress is a fun and unique game so, why would it's community be anything less? Apparently I was wrong, these are hallowed grounds and I am an infidel desecrating them with my hethenistic ways.

assimilation

Do you even read what you type? Does the anonymity of the internet bestow upon some super powers that allow you to arbitrarily dictate who can say what and how? I would hope that you don't chose to interact with people in this manner outside of that box of light and words in front of you but, I honestly and truly wonder if there IS anything outside of that box for you. I earnestly pity you, you invoke genuine sadness in my heart.

If you chose to foster an insular, incestual and insipid enviroment then that's your choice and I respect that but, don't lambast me for offering more.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 06:57:47 pm by evilnancyreagan »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #18584 on: August 29, 2014, 06:34:53 pm »

It's the third best selling game of all time so far*. I'm 100% sure P2W servers had absolutely nothing to do with that or with interest in modding it.

FTFY*

The popularity of these servers had no effect on Minecraft's exposure whatsoever? Heck, there's no way the FTB team would have ever been a thing without Minecraft's massive audience, an audience whose size can be accredited in part to P2W servers.

Okay, let's put it this way: do you think people became interested in Minecraft due to the fact that some servers require paying to get certain features?

Eleven out of the last twenty-three posts are yours, so I'd say it's a pretty accurate statement.

so, forums are for not talking?

They're for not double posting when there's a perfectly good modify post button...
Pages: 1 ... 1237 1238 [1239] 1240 1241 ... 1380