Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1231 1232 [1233] 1234 1235 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2424391 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #18480 on: August 16, 2014, 02:01:44 pm »

It seems to me they mostly differ in terms of what mods are included, rather than how. Though cannot compare Tekkit to the other two, because the mod list is pretty, and pretty useless.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #18481 on: August 16, 2014, 02:51:05 pm »

There are just so many mods, and I have no idea what most of them are. And I can't find any convenient list of what they are and what they do, to help me decide which version I should be playing... It's actually quite surprising how little information is available on the Tekkit main site. It's as though they assume everyone who visits the site already knows what they want. There are some modpacks listed in the launcher with zero information, not even a link to a web site that explains them. I have no idea what they are.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #18482 on: August 16, 2014, 03:30:15 pm »

Tekkit Classic is the oldest version, built on Minecraft 1.2.5, and is the version the Yogscast used for their Tekkit videos. The pack is mostly focussed around Buildcraft, Industrialcraft, and Railcraft as far is technology is concerned. It also includes Equivalent Exchange 2, which is generally considered to be Very OverpoweredTM.
The pack seems to run fairly well. I used it on my laptop for a long time without many problems. Probably because the number of mods is fairly low, and MC 1.2.5 still has the old 128-block build limit.

Lite is a slightly newer version - for Minecraft 1.4, I think? - that I don't know much about, other than I never really got into it and it didn't run well on my laptop. I can't help you here, I'm afraid.

The current Tekkit version for 1.6.4 is fairly bloated. It has a lot of mods that you never use, going by the "something for everyone" philosophy. Off the top of my head, it has Galacticraft, Thermal Expansion, Minefactory, Forestry, Buildcraft, and many many more. Galacticraft is the worst offender as far as lag is concerned. It also has Equivalent Exchange 3, which is an entirely new version of EE that is still in development. EE3 was intentionally nerfed by the developer.

Honestly, I would recommend Classic for using on your laptop. Once you get a proper desktop you should be able to run new!Tekkit which is probably a better experience overall. Unless you want to go down the route of insanity and make your own modpack... help me please
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #18483 on: August 16, 2014, 03:58:10 pm »

Tekkit Classic is the oldest version, built on Minecraft 1.2.5, and is the version the Yogscast used for their Tekkit videos. The pack is mostly focussed around Buildcraft, Industrialcraft, and Railcraft as far is technology is concerned. It also includes Equivalent Exchange 2, which is generally considered to be Very OverpoweredTM.
The pack seems to run fairly well. I used it on my laptop for a long time without many problems. Probably because the number of mods is fairly low, and MC 1.2.5 still has the old 128-block build limit.

Lite is a slightly newer version - for Minecraft 1.4, I think? - that I don't know much about, other than I never really got into it and it didn't run well on my laptop. I can't help you here, I'm afraid.

The current Tekkit version for 1.6.4 is fairly bloated. It has a lot of mods that you never use, going by the "something for everyone" philosophy. Off the top of my head, it has Galacticraft, Thermal Expansion, Minefactory, Forestry, Buildcraft, and many many more. Galacticraft is the worst offender as far as lag is concerned. It also has Equivalent Exchange 3, which is an entirely new version of EE that is still in development. EE3 was intentionally nerfed by the developer.

Honestly, I would recommend Classic for using on your laptop. Once you get a proper desktop you should be able to run new!Tekkit which is probably a better experience overall. Unless you want to go down the route of insanity and make your own modpack... help me please

Thanks, this is just what I needed. It sounds like Classic is best for now. Even with the 32x tileset, all graphic options turned to minimum, and a small game window, Tekkit seems to lag quite a bit. It's hard to get into a game when you have to wait for it to catch up once per minute or so. Hopefully classic will run better. I would have liked to try the Galacticraft stuff, but it does sound like it would only make the lag situation worse to get into that. And I certainly don't mind using something overpowered when it's just for me, single player. I've already sunk so many hours into simply trying to find my first few diamonds, it will be nice to have a quicker way to do things. And it beats blatant cheating, which I prefer to avoid doing.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18484 on: August 16, 2014, 04:00:26 pm »

-snip-
If you want to be lag-free, you should probably just use the default textures.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #18485 on: August 16, 2014, 08:59:51 pm »

Textures are more of a RAM thing than a performance thing. If Minecraft by default doesn't take up too much of your allocated memory (check the top-right of the F3 menu) you might as well get some nice textures.
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18486 on: August 16, 2014, 09:36:56 pm »

This is slightly frustrating...
I am playing the Crashlanding FTB Modpack, and I can't go outside to do anything. Why? Cause every night Creepers spawn at like 20x more compared to the others, I NEVER see an Enderman and sometimes get a spider. AND because they don't disappear during day and that I can't do anything with my walls made of Dust (Zero blast resistance), I can't even go out to kill them without risk of death or losing walls...

Anyone have this problem, if not why does this always happen to me???
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Android

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18487 on: August 17, 2014, 01:10:01 pm »

On the other hand, is Classic the version I see in all the older Tekkit videos? Like the ones the Yogscast made a lot of? Because that version looks more fun. The newer version is much harder, with a lot of the fun stuff having been nerfed, especially the equivalent exchange mod...

Equivalent exchange mod was not very fun, to me, it made the game way to easy once you started it making free diamonds for you.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 01:15:35 pm by Android »

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #18488 on: August 17, 2014, 01:18:57 pm »

EE is something I always avoided using as it made the experience seem a bit cheap to me. If you know what you are doing it doesn't take too long to get to the point where materials are valueless. Don't get me wrong I have no problems with other people using it, just not my cup of tea.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #18489 on: August 17, 2014, 03:41:38 pm »

I have watched servers die to EE2.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #18490 on: August 17, 2014, 07:54:05 pm »

I didn't really get far enough into EE to complain about it being overpowered, but I have gotten far enough to take issue with the way it makes material types meaningless. Even in mods with overpowered diamondium armor made from flint or whatever, it still matters what something is. EE turned you into a matter harvester, where the only difference between diamonds and cobblestone was density.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #18491 on: August 17, 2014, 09:52:02 pm »

You're a scrub if your EMC farm is cobblestone. Blaze rods and rotary macerators are the best~.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #18492 on: August 17, 2014, 10:13:42 pm »

As of EE3, a tree farm is good enough to get pretty much anything.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18493 on: August 17, 2014, 10:46:00 pm »

EE2 was funny.

In a regular server without EE2, I saw "two diamond" trades for a single item.
In a server WITH EE2, the two diamonds turned into two stacks of diamonds.
This was actually really entertaining when a server with EE2 advertised an economy plugin and "functional economy" or something along those lines. EE2 does not coexist with a proper minecraft economy.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 02:04:20 am by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #18494 on: August 17, 2014, 11:00:27 pm »

Yeah, with EE2 you only need one particularly generous person to completely destroy the economy.
Pages: 1 ... 1231 1232 [1233] 1234 1235 ... 1380