Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1205 1206 [1207] 1208 1209 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2425507 times)

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #18090 on: September 08, 2013, 10:54:23 am »

I had the same thing (first pirated minecraft, then got it).
Unfortunately, you'll have to live with the downsides for now. :/
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #18091 on: September 08, 2013, 11:44:23 am »

I had the same thing (first pirated minecraft, then got it).

In fact, I'm having this situation with quite a lot of things on my computer. I download it first, then if it is indeed cool, I buy it.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #18092 on: September 08, 2013, 12:28:19 pm »

The new launcher requires a login at start up. I do not possess a login, because I can't afford one.

ಠ_ಠ
If I could afford it I would pay. However, I can't. I also can't play online, and so am not part of their server costs. Me getting the game in this form has merely persuaded me to get the full game when i eventually have the money spare.
Mojang doesn't host any servers~

Now let's stop this discussion before the Toad has to swing his mighty banhammer.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18093 on: September 08, 2013, 12:30:27 pm »

The new launcher requires a login at start up. I do not possess a login, because I can't afford one.

ಠ_ಠ
If I could afford it I would pay. However, I can't. I also can't play online, and so am not part of their server costs. Me getting the game in this form has merely persuaded me to get the full game when i eventually have the money spare.
Mojang doesn't host any servers~

Now let's stop this discussion before the Toad has to swing his mighty banhammer.

Have you heard of Realms? It's a server-hosting service run by Mojang.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18094 on: September 08, 2013, 12:50:18 pm »

There'd still be a bit of hosting/bandwidth cost of users running registered versions as they verify their login and download updates or re-download a version, although a lot of this might be offloaded with modpacks running their own launchers (even when they require a valid, paid-for account).

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #18095 on: September 08, 2013, 01:51:47 pm »

There'd still be a bit of hosting/bandwidth cost of users running registered versions as they verify their login and download updates or re-download a version, although a lot of this might be offloaded with modpacks running their own launchers (even when they require a valid, paid-for account).

They still have to download Minecraft itself and the base resources from Minecraft's website because it's against the ToU to distribute it. Also the various native libraries that Minecraft uses (LWJGL, etc).

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18096 on: September 25, 2013, 05:36:19 pm »

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/09/24/diamond-roads-the-uk-remade-in-minecraft/
It's that time again. Someone has done something cool and impressive with Minecraft.
And it's a replica of the UK based on the Ordnance Survey maps.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #18097 on: September 27, 2013, 09:19:48 pm »

Nordic says hi.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18098 on: September 30, 2013, 09:05:15 pm »

So...finally instlled minecraft. Trying to do a lan game with someone and I keep keeping the dreaded "connection lost end of stream" error when we try to connect. I can see the game just fine, but click and join gives an error.

Google gives 50,000 results for the error message, some dated two years ago, and lots of people say they have solutions, but this seems to be a generic error message with lots of causes. I've tried a bunch of things recommended by people but so far none of the solutions I've tried fix the problem.

Anyone dealt with this and have a solution?

Projeck37

• Bay Watcher
  • what is love, baby don't hurt me
    • View Profile
« Reply #18099 on: September 30, 2013, 09:06:48 pm »

Worst case scenario: Just try hamachi with said person.
I be the Pillow Pirate of the 12 Bays!

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18100 on: September 30, 2013, 09:27:29 pm »

I'm guessing you tried using both machines to host?

Yes. I've also checked hosts.ini, tried connected via direct IP, I've tried the copy/paste trick, and assorted misc stuff suggested by some painfully long youtube videos that could have been summarized in three or four sentences.

Only fix I see people suggesting that I haven't tried is using a shorter account name, because that would require creating a new account, and we've both using gmail account names which are recent...and I sort of assume that the "too long name" problem would have been fixed by that. Supposedly account names over 15 characters create problems, but @gmail.com is 10 characters, and it just seems unlikely that the recent account name change would require people to have gmail addresses with only 5 characters in the name.

hamachi

Hmm. I have not tried that yet.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18101 on: September 30, 2013, 10:04:06 pm »

I'm guessing you tried using both machines to host?

Yes. I've also checked hosts.ini, tried connected via direct IP, I've tried the copy/paste trick, and assorted misc stuff suggested by some painfully long youtube videos that could have been summarized in three or four sentences.

Only fix I see people suggesting that I haven't tried is using a shorter account name, because that would require creating a new account, and we've both using gmail account names which are recent...and I sort of assume that the "too long name" problem would have been fixed by that. Supposedly account names over 15 characters create problems, but @gmail.com is 10 characters, and it just seems unlikely that the recent account name change would require people to have gmail addresses with only 5 characters in the name.

Edit: Also, it's worth noting that I had trouble playing on LAN with a friend. He could connect to my games, but I couldn't connect to his.
hamachi

Hmm. I have not tried that yet.
Are you sure it doesn't mean ingame account names?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 10:05:54 pm by Elephant Parade »

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18102 on: October 01, 2013, 08:38:22 pm »

hamachi

...what exactly is Hamachi suppose dto help with. We have a real local network. We're sitting next to each other. How does adding an extra layer in the form of a virtual network help?

Are you sure it doesn't mean ingame account names?

No, I'm not. How do I do that? I don't see any option for it under multiplayer options and google is directing me to videos telling me to run third party software.

EDIT:
Mojang profile name? Ok, I've tried that. Still getting the same error. We see the games fine, but attempting to join generates  "Connection Lost End of Stream" instantly on attempting to connect.

Projeck37

• Bay Watcher
  • what is love, baby don't hurt me
    • View Profile
« Reply #18103 on: October 01, 2013, 09:08:13 pm »

I had the same problem before, and I just used Hamachi and it worked.. Of course, totally a possibility that my problem was slightly different from yours.
I be the Pillow Pirate of the 12 Bays!

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18104 on: October 01, 2013, 09:38:29 pm »

hamachi

...what exactly is Hamachi suppose dto help with. We have a real local network. We're sitting next to each other. How does adding an extra layer in the form of a virtual network help?

Yo dawg, I herd you like LAN, so we put a virtual LAN on your LAN...
Pages: 1 ... 1205 1206 [1207] 1208 1209 ... 1380