Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1128 1129 [1130] 1131 1132 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2427227 times)

SomethingCreative

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #16935 on: May 25, 2012, 08:23:08 pm »

Edit2: How do I get the Snapshot to work, anyway? I tried downloading the jar, but it ended up telling me I needed this nonexistant server folder and Jar.

You'll need both the new client and the new server.

Technically, it isn't supposed to need the server anymore but it's broken or something. Whatever.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16936 on: May 25, 2012, 09:33:25 pm »

The mod version requires Blaze Rods too. Far more effort.
Doesn't change much. Blazes aren't that hard either once you have a full set of Iron Armor, A few swords, and a Bow (With arrows, of course).
Harder to get than obsidian, was my point...

In any case, the mod version is far far better so carry on.

???

Did you even look at the ender chest recipe? It's an eye of ender, not an ender pearl. That is, this one requires blaze rods (or at least their dust) as well.

That said, I agree with Johnfalcon's original statement; mod version is OP. I like the current version :D (Also, arguing the mod did it better is always ridiculous, because 1; better is subjective and 2; more effort can always be expended by someone with a single focus on a new feature, than someone who has to develop many). So please peeps, chill and enjoy your teleporty itemy goodness!

Oh, and Johnfalcon, you don't actually need the server file.

Rather, go to your .minecraft folder, and in that folder (NOT IN /BIN) add a new folder called server. In that, you can put in either the server jar, or a blank file with the same name and extension, it doesn't reallly matter; it's a holdover from the snapshot before, where the server jar was needed, and they just haven't cleaned it up yet.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #16937 on: May 25, 2012, 10:10:24 pm »

Also clearly when a dev adjust a few numbers to make something more expensive to balance it out, that dev is being lazy and half-assing it.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16938 on: May 26, 2012, 08:05:31 am »

On the Ender Chest debate, just for the sake of pointing something out, to get a complete set of linked inventories (Even then, having only 2 of each chest isn't particularly useful) you require:
8184 Ender Pearls.
32736 Blaze Rods.
8184 Wool
16368 Obsidian.

And look at it from a multiplayer standpoint, Ender Chests will be entirely useless on the majority of servers, as you'd have one person standin in front of theirs stealing everything that gets deposited on the network, whereas with the mod version, you can keep your particular dye combination between you and the recipient.
Yes, it's not 100% protection, but the likelyhood of that one person having that one combo at the exact time you're shipping stuff is incredibly unlikely.
*Hugs*

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #16939 on: May 26, 2012, 09:24:51 am »

There's a good chance that a Bukkit plug-in along the lines of Lockkit will come out and remedy that.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16940 on: May 26, 2012, 10:41:43 am »

Maybe each player has their own inventory inside.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16941 on: May 26, 2012, 10:45:02 am »

Maybe each player has their own inventory inside.

This is actually very likely, considering that all we have right now is still a snapshot, and things can still change.

If so, then I take back my earlier post dissing its uses over the mod version.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16942 on: May 26, 2012, 11:06:09 am »

It would be really awesome if they made a new item, a "lock" item, you can put it on any entity, and it will be locked from use, the actual effect would wary, locks on doors would obviously require being unlocked to be opened or closed, chests too. On Enderchests, it would determine wich inventory it is put into. Kind of like an adress, it wouldnt require dye.

For things like chests and doors, the codes could be three digit, on Ender Chests they could be 6 digit, both allowing relatively safe storage and the thrill of cracking the codes.
Special high level enchantments could be used to break the lock. I dunno. Just thoughts. There could also be key locks for non enderchest things, kind of like the better the material of the lock the harder it would be to pick it, by like increasing the chance of the lock pick breaking when you move it. The picking could be kind of like "listening", so the higher the material the more correct moves it would require to pick the lock, and the more damage it does to the pick or whatever.
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16943 on: May 26, 2012, 11:14:52 am »

Spoiler: Seems Legit. (click to show/hide)
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Briggsy16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16944 on: May 26, 2012, 11:15:24 am »

Jeb has confirmed it was a troll.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16945 on: May 26, 2012, 11:23:47 am »

Oh well your nice and fun.  ::)

Also, how does everyone feel about the merging of Multiplayer and Singleplayer? Jeb is obviously setting Minecraft up for it (Going to the Menu in SP doesn't Pause; Capable of using Commands and Chat in SP; Pressing Tab opens a(n Obivously empty) Playerlist...), so is it welcomed or dreaded?
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #16946 on: May 26, 2012, 11:28:49 am »

What?

I need pause! >:-( I despise single player games that don't let me pause for no good reason. If I wanted to not pause but make my mouse go off I'd open my inventory and stay there.

Personally, I don't approve. If only for the pause.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16947 on: May 26, 2012, 11:39:40 am »

Also, how does everyone feel about the merging of Multiplayer and Singleplayer? Jeb is obviously setting Minecraft up for it (Going to the Menu in SP doesn't Pause; Capable of using Commands and Chat in SP; Pressing Tab opens a(n Obivously empty) Playerlist...), so is it welcomed or dreaded?

Are you sure about this?

I never play multiplayer, except once in a blue moon, so if this is true, it's unacceptable.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Briggsy16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16948 on: May 26, 2012, 11:43:35 am »

I like the idea of my mates being able to drop into my game without us having to pay for a server.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16949 on: May 26, 2012, 11:43:44 am »

There's also all the fun of getting serverside lag in your singleplayer game.
There's already videos up of people phasing through mobs and quantum monsters appearing.
*Hugs*
Pages: 1 ... 1128 1129 [1130] 1131 1132 ... 1380