Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1127 1128 [1129] 1130 1131 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2427226 times)

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #16920 on: May 25, 2012, 12:43:48 am »

To be fair, you can do a lot with the various types of sandstone, some lapis lazuli, and some nice spruce flooring. I just wish there was a way to make vertical slabs in vanilla, so I can make nice narrow arched windows.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16921 on: May 25, 2012, 03:22:24 am »

sandstone stairs?

that is GREAT!
several months too late for what I needed, but great!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 03:49:37 am by andrea »

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16922 on: May 25, 2012, 03:28:51 am »

It's ok Andrea, we shall find another desert~
*Hugs*

Fiskav

« Reply #16923 on: May 25, 2012, 03:37:02 am »

« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 12:48:14 am by Fiskav »

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #16924 on: May 25, 2012, 01:30:36 pm »

It's ok Andrea, we shall find another desert~
I hope Earth gets a desert.
We're going Earth, right? Or fire? :P
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #16925 on: May 25, 2012, 02:18:08 pm »

Um.
You mean this one? :P
Be right there.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16926 on: May 25, 2012, 03:56:40 pm »

I know that the new Ender Chests are a bit measly compared to the Mod verisons, but when you think about it, the ability to have a chest which can contain three whole inventories in one and also being able to take it where ever you want IS kinda overpowered. Especially considering Obsidian and Enderpearls aren't acutally very hard to get in game once you have decent gear and a Diamond Pickaxe.
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Fiskav

« Reply #16927 on: May 25, 2012, 04:03:59 pm »

« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 12:48:02 am by Fiskav »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #16928 on: May 25, 2012, 05:33:41 pm »

I know that the new Ender Chests are a bit measly compared to the Mod verisons, but when you think about it, the ability to have a chest which can contain three whole inventories in one and also being able to take it where ever you want IS kinda overpowered. Especially considering Obsidian and Enderpearls aren't acutally very hard to get in game once you have decent gear and a Diamond Pickaxe.

Getting obsidian requires effort, however.
The mod version requires Blaze Rods too. Far more effort.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16929 on: May 25, 2012, 06:27:17 pm »

Getting obsidian requires effort, however.
Yeah. 5-10 seconds of effort.

Doesn't change much. Blazes aren't that hard either once you have a full set of Iron Armor, A few swords, and a Bow (With arrows, of course).

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #16930 on: May 25, 2012, 06:28:21 pm »

Doesn't change much. Blazes aren't that hard either once you have a full set of Iron Armor, A few swords, and a Bow (With arrows, of course).
Harder to get than obsidian, was my point...

In any case, the mod version is far far better so carry on.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16931 on: May 25, 2012, 06:30:36 pm »

It's not about how hard the materials are to gather, it's how much fun they are to gather. Mining obsidian isn't fun. I would rather mine two of it than eight.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16932 on: May 25, 2012, 06:46:13 pm »

The concept of "The mod version is far better" strikes me as odd, and I want to put my thoughts and emotions down somewhere to get a better grasp on why this tickles me funny.

Alright, first concepts. Games are not made to be fun, this is not their singular goal. They provide an interactive experience, much like how movies provide a visual experience. You interact with a scenario and get a feeling for how the mechanics work and the emotional impact of whatever story it has. Being fun makes it an enjoyable experience, but many experiences are made through dealing with frustration and difficulty. Overcoming tremendous obstacles is a pretty well-known experience to craft.

Notch comes from a history of crafting experiences that deal with difficulty, complex systems and exploration. He wants to makes games that convey these things to the player. Minecraft is sort of an oddity when it comes to this, as it includes some frustrating stuff and risky situations, but is overall relatively easy to survive in. Primarily because of the awesome tool of breaking/building the environment, which is an evolved mutant of a system made for building cool stuff rather than difficulty of use for overcoming obstacles.

Often people will suggest things that for some strange reason Notch is reluctant to do. His reasons being they don't fit the idea of what he wants the game to be. I sorta accept that he has a vision for how the game is supposed to play. We have heard ideas and hopes about how he would want to make the game and add to it, but we ultimately don't have a full view of what his vision is.

So when chests that share resources across different chests are added, they are added under the vision of how they want the game to play. If they don't want some combination system in play then fine, working as intended. They don't want such things because it doesn't fit in the game they want to make. And I'm fine with that, if I don't want to play that game I can always just install mods.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16933 on: May 25, 2012, 06:47:24 pm »

I don't mind. Obsidian takes far shorter to mine now, which was in a previous patch. I couldn't tell you which one it was if my life depended on it, though.

In any case, the mod version is far far better so carry on.
Doesn't change the fact that it was incredibly overpowered.

Stealth Edit: Also what Duke said, basically.

Edit2: How do I get the Snapshot to work, anyway? I tried downloading the jar, but it ended up telling me I needed this nonexistant server folder and Jar.

Edit3: Also looking at a Trading chart for Villagers, and apparently you can buy Enchanting Potions from Priests 0.0
Also Glowstone. Now you don't need to enter hell for your Glowy blocks.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 07:08:46 pm by Johnfalcon99977 »

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #16934 on: May 25, 2012, 07:10:46 pm »

Woo, late to the "mod did it better party" but that's what happens when your out all day. My thoughts on the new ender chest is that while it is a nice idea and the mod is overpowered I don't think vanilla is doing it right. First off I don't actually think vanilla should have it as it does not fit the feel of the base game very well. Secondly if they keep adding stuff to the game which is basically some mod but worse then the community will start to turn against them as while imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, inept bungling, even if its just game balance that is perceived so, just sours the whole affair.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.
Pages: 1 ... 1127 1128 [1129] 1130 1131 ... 1380