Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 956 957 [958] 959 960 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2424666 times)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #14355 on: November 21, 2011, 03:54:06 pm »

Diggi diggy hole gone mad :!?

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14356 on: November 21, 2011, 04:04:31 pm »

Well, that would explain the awkward interview with Notch they did. But I can't see the yogscast doing that.I rearly hear them curse and when they let it drop when they get on each others nerves. Probably fake.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 04:08:24 pm by Micro102 »

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14357 on: November 21, 2011, 04:16:29 pm »

It seems the Notch V. Yogscast conflict's brewing into a big internet mud-slinging competition. This, of course, means no one will remember it a week from now because, well, it's the internet.  :P

Of course, a thought comes to mind.

And they claim they're the reason minecraft is big...

If this isn't somewhat true, then why did Mojang pay them to come? The yogscast have something like a million subscribers on their channel, that's very good exposure for the game (and the convention) and Notch knows it.  But then again, the yogscast owe much (most) of their viewer base to their Minecraft videos, so they're not going to stop producing Minecraft videos because of some tweets.  It would've made much more sense for Notch/Mojang to discuss their grievances with the yogscast in private, rather than muddy the two groups' symbiotic and profitable relationship.

In the end, nothing will change and this quarrel will be forgotten by next week, if it even takes that long.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #14358 on: November 21, 2011, 04:18:56 pm »

The problem here is that both groups just suddenly became famous relatively recently and they don't know how to handle that. They should hire someone like me as a PR adviser.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14359 on: November 21, 2011, 04:21:41 pm »

Well, most of their veiwers subscribe because of the Shadow of Israpheal series. It's awesome and funny. But everything else is mediocre. They don't even plan the SoI series. Someone does it for them and they walk through the map with the lightest RPing the world has ever seen, kept aloof by other people.

I bet if the SoI series stopped, they would lose a good chunk of their subscribers. And I don't see how a fantasy story set in minecraft could make millions of people buy the game.

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14360 on: November 21, 2011, 04:34:13 pm »

I bet if the SoI series stopped, they would lose a good chunk of their subscribers. And I don't see how a fantasy story set in minecraft could make millions of people buy the game.

1) I'm sure they would.

2) I don't think it's so much the story as it is the set pieces they use. A lot of the buildings and dungeons in their SoI series are really cool; viewers see something like the floating city and think "Oh hey, I could build something like that if I purchased minecraft!". Or they see the custom maps and mod spotlights they do and think, "Hey, I want to check out all those user-made maps and mods, so I'll buy Minecraft!"

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14361 on: November 21, 2011, 04:35:49 pm »

Let's be real, reddit, 4chan, other large forums such as SA, and various viral marketing including yogscast got minecraft all of it's sales. You can't pin it's success on one group of people alone.

Honestly Notch would do well to ignore Yogscast, but it's not like they can actually hurt his sales or bottom line. They're stuck being dicks.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #14362 on: November 21, 2011, 04:37:33 pm »

I never actually heard about the Yogscast until they did that Terraria letsplay.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14363 on: November 21, 2011, 04:38:36 pm »

1) I'm sure they would.

2) I don't think it's so much the story as it is the set pieces they use. A lot of the buildings and dungeons in their SoI series are really cool; viewers see something like the floating city and think "Oh hey, I could build something like that if I purchased minecraft!". Or they see the custom maps and mod spotlights they do and think, "Hey, I want to check out all those user-made maps and mods, so I'll buy Minecraft!"

I have seen some of their other large world videos, but find them nowhere near as entertaining as the SoI series. My cousin (20 years old) likes the series and you know what he liked best about it? the ideas of people appearing on your world and building stuff on it, basically, how the series started, before any of the giant worlds or plot was made.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14364 on: November 21, 2011, 04:43:31 pm »

If this isn't somewhat true, then why did Mojang pay them to come?
Wait, I thought the problem was that Notch didn't pay them to come when they're acting like brats.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14365 on: November 21, 2011, 04:45:35 pm »

Wait, I thought the problem was that Notch didn't pay them to come when they're acting like brats.
This.

Although I am wondering why they turned up anyway despite their sense of entitlement.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14366 on: November 21, 2011, 04:47:27 pm »

Because their huge fanbase expected it? And it's minecon?

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14367 on: November 21, 2011, 04:48:33 pm »

Wasn't Yogs involved with that whole mod pack ordeal I skimmed earlier in the thread?  (Didn't they include some mod that didn't want them including it?)
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14368 on: November 21, 2011, 04:49:02 pm »

This.

Although I am wondering why they turned up anyway despite their sense of entitlement.

Oh, they weren't paid? Based on the wording of this tweet,
    They called us "a bunch of nerds who don't know how to run a company", demanded that we pay them to come here (nobody else got paid).
I was under the impression they were. My mistake if they weren't.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14369 on: November 21, 2011, 04:49:12 pm »

Wasn't Yogs involved with that whole mod pack ordeal I skimmed earlier in the thread?  (Didn't they include some mod that didn't want them including it?)
I vaguely remember something like that happen, ya.
Pages: 1 ... 956 957 [958] 959 960 ... 1380