Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2420660 times)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft: Like Infiniminer but in Java and in Alpha
« Reply #1425 on: March 20, 2010, 08:20:31 pm »

I goddam hate spiders. Creepers and Skeletons I can kill relatively easily, but Spiders just get to me.

The only game spiders to scare me. Hell, the only spiders to scare me period.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: March 20, 2010, 08:33:26 pm »

Zombies are pathetic.  I could kill them in droves with my fist...or a cloth block.

Spiders are fairly easy, but I might get hit once.  I want a sword with me.

Creepers are pretty easy too, as easy as zombies.  But if i mess up on a zombie I take a little damage, if I mess up on a creeper I'm suddenly fighting everything ELSE on the other side of that wall thanks to my new front door.

Skeletons AUUUUGH! I hate the things.  Hate them.  If I have a bow and plenty of arrows I can manage, but if I'm stuck with only a sword and no armor I run like mad and hope to catch it around a corner.  if I have armor I can take them, but I take damage.  I hate the things.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Meta Knight... 0_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: March 20, 2010, 08:35:21 pm »

anyone have any tips for a survival noob? i usually manage to get blocks from a cow and then get bumrushed to death by monsters.
Caution: This user may or may not be a horrible evil Elder God from the deepest regions of space. He also may or may not be a lawyer.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: March 20, 2010, 08:48:05 pm »

Its a sheep.

I gather all the wood I can before the sun goes down, maybe some pig meat too.  Then when the sun starts going down I go back into the shack and block up the door.

Make planks from the logs, and make a workbench out of 4 logs, them make myself a wooden pickaxe, and dig some stairs down into the floor. And begin mining.

Make a stone pickaxe when you can, and make stone versions of all the other tools too.  And make a furnace.  Take a block out of the ceiling of your shack to see if it's daylight.  Keep it there if you don't have to worry about mobs being able to reach yer roof. 

Once the sun is up break down your door, make sure you have a sword handy.  If yer lucky you can walk out, if unlucky prepare to fight some creepers.  Then start fortifying your position.  I prefer a 3 tile deep dry moat with a stair bridge over it.

Then it's just rinse and repeat of grabbing meat and wood from the surface during the day and mining at night.

And oh yea, remember to keep yer caves lit or else you may get eaten by a grue. (Also known as a mob spawning in the darkness behind you and eating your brains.  They can spawn on any dark tile.)
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: March 20, 2010, 08:50:43 pm »

um... how do i get wood?

(yeah, i know i suck)
Caution: This user may or may not be a horrible evil Elder God from the deepest regions of space. He also may or may not be a lawyer.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: March 20, 2010, 08:56:03 pm »

Grab one of the torches from your house, dig up a bunch of dirt, find an island someplace, build stairs up to a floating room.  Walling off your doorway creates pretty much total safety.

Light prevents monster spawning, and being offshore usually prevents 'em too - at least, I think it does.  I never saw any monsters spawn on the island I use now - only occasional pigs and sheep.

Anyway, you are now safe forever at night.  You can make your islandhouse your main base, or use it as a temporary place while you build up an acceptable home on the mainland or whatever.

You can cook pork in a furnace.  If you don't take out the cooked stuff, you can also stack cooked pork this way - you can't with any other method, so it's kinda exploit-y, but very handy.

You can use sticks, planks, and logs as furnace stuff.  Logs and planks burn for 1 operation each, so there's no real reason to use logs.  Sticks burn for half an operation, but like planks from logs, you get 4 from a plank, so you pretty much double efficiency in exchange for micromanagement sorta stuff.  Coal burns for 8 operations, I believe - try to fire stuff 8 stuff per coal, I guess.

Get wood by punching trees.  Only punch one section at a time.

Also, have lots of back up tools with you while you're doing stuff.  Picks especially - might be handy to always have at least one back up sword, too.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 09:00:15 pm by Farce »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: March 20, 2010, 08:59:54 pm »

Keep punching a tree.  See the cracks forming? Keep punching and it will break. 

To turn them into planks you place them in the crafting slot in yer inventory

Then you make a workbench by putting a single plank block in all 4 crafting spaces.  Place the workbench someplace safe and then right click it.  Now you have a 3x3 crafting area and you can make most of the tools in the game.

Heres some basic ones to get ya started, yes positioning matters. 

1 plank on top of another plank on a crafting table=4 sticks

A T shape, with 2 sticks forming the bottom and 3 planks forming the top= pickaxe

A vertical stack of sticks, with the top being replaced with a plank = shovel

Another vertical stack. This time with planks replace the lowest one with a stick = a suprise.

A O of stone = furnace.

A chunk of coal on top of a stick = 4 torches

Theres more, but I don't wanna spoil them all.  PS. While you can dig through rock with your fist you will only obtain stone with a pickaxe.  You can only obtain iron ore with a stone pickaxe, and can only obtain gold ore with an iron pickaxe. 

I think you can only obtain flint from gravel using a shovel, a chunk of flint with a iron bar can create a flint and steel, which can create a dwarf's worst nightmare and a very good weapon/way to destroy yourself and everything you ever made.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 09:12:03 pm by Greiger »

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: March 20, 2010, 09:31:38 pm »

indev or survival?

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: March 20, 2010, 09:44:49 pm »

Good god survival would be so awesome in multiplayer...
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mutant Cheese Monster
    • View Profile
    • Anilist
« Reply #1434 on: March 20, 2010, 10:04:51 pm »

Notch is working on that.
Quote from: Vilien
Yes, you should always apply more magma.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: March 21, 2010, 12:07:30 am »

Notch is working on that.

Yep - it'll be done sometime after Toady releases the new DF, and sometime before DNF comes out.  ;D

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: March 21, 2010, 08:15:40 am »

i can't find my house.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: March 21, 2010, 09:34:19 am »

Think it's bad now, when infdev becomes the norm you'll never find your house again.

Infinitely generating map as you move.

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: March 21, 2010, 09:52:46 am »

I get scared enough leaving the relative safety of my neighbourhood on a 'normal' sized map ... when infinite mulitplayer survival comes about, I'm DEFINITELY going to be one of the guys that sits back at the base, looking after the goods. I'll probably make up a story about a dodgy leg, or something.

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: March 21, 2010, 09:56:18 am »

what is my "crafting slot" and how do i move wood there?
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 1380