Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 844 845 [846] 847 848 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2419955 times)

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #12675 on: October 07, 2011, 12:55:20 pm »

What makes IndustrialCraft and BuildCraft so special?
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12676 on: October 07, 2011, 12:58:38 pm »

The design document of Industrialcraft that the creator never made is basically "Make sprawling industrial complexes for processing materials." There is a primal joy in designing a complex and difficult to assemble system and watching it automatically work out, much like train simulator games. That is essentially the appeal of these mods.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #12677 on: October 07, 2011, 01:02:21 pm »

Well with a lot of work and a well-crafted system you can have a quarry automatically mine within a grid and have all of the materials shunted through pipes, sorted into chests, processed by machines and smelted then have automated crafting benches run off commonly used items.

In fact I bet you could set up an automated industrial diamond factory quite easily and then have the diamonds crafted into energy crystals for energy storage and further construction. Really it's just neat because you don't have to do stuff manually after you work out a good system. It really appeals to the designer part of my brain. Also the lazy part.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12678 on: October 07, 2011, 01:13:55 pm »

Hmm, that sort of... Kinds the naturalistic feel of things and makes everything too automated for my tastes. Granted, it piques the interest of the lazy side of me as well, but... I play MC for the trees and brooks and pigs and rivers of magma which spawn flying fire-spewing tentacle dem- I mean, the nice... Fluffy sheep... Yeah...

:P

Haven't used any mods so far, though I'm interested in these awesome mods you all have been discussing, and do hope some of the very interesting features are implemented in the future.

...Gotta get me one of those flying zeppelins! It'll help me reach my fiance's damned floating castle in the sky.
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #12679 on: October 07, 2011, 01:26:08 pm »

Hmm, that sort of... Kinds the naturalistic feel of things and makes everything too automated for my tastes. Granted, it piques the interest of the lazy side of me as well, but... I play MC for the trees and brooks and pigs and rivers of magma which spawn flying fire-spewing tentacle dem- I mean, the nice... Fluffy sheep... Yeah...

:P

Haven't used any mods so far, though I'm interested in these awesome mods you all have been discussing, and do hope some of the very interesting features are implemented in the future.

...Gotta get me one of those flying zeppelins! It'll help me reach my fiance's damned floating castle in the sky.
Well it's a lot of fun for me to explore the world and enjoy the nature, and for that I have a mod (thanks neyvin) which allows forests to grow and shrink and saplings to plant themselves, trees to die, etc. Its neat to watch things change over time that way. I also like exploring the industrial side of the game. IC2 adds in copper and tin ore which you can use to make bronze tools (almost as good as iron) and advanced machines which do fun stuff like terraform parts of the landscape. Buildcraft adds in oil wells and fuel refining, item transport, etc. Equivalent Exchange is another good one, adding in some very nice end-game items and goals.

There is something to be set about working out a well-built solar power farm connected by a buried high capacity diamond fiber cable to an energy storage system and running ore processors and other machines from it in your home while your refinery next door pulls oil out of the ground and turns it into fuel for your engines which are running your quarry. It all has a cost, and overall it is fairly well balanced I think, but it adds a lot to the game. I think its mostly for those who are tired of walking over the same hills and seeing the same trees. After a while vanilla minecraft got boring for me because there are no real endgame goals beyond 'build a bigger house' or 'make some pixel art'.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12680 on: October 07, 2011, 01:34:47 pm »

Having a creeper blow up your bed is the main reason one should creeperproof their everything.
I'm beginning to think that's an impossibility.  I've been having creepers spawn in well lit rooms, way too many sticking around through many days of building and they always seem to find a way to get exactly where I need to go.

There's definitely some evil code change involved.  I don't care what anyone says.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #12681 on: October 07, 2011, 01:54:24 pm »

If (Minecraft == Legos)
{
   IndustialCraft && BuildCraft = Lego Mindstorm + Nuclear Power
}
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12682 on: October 07, 2011, 02:02:01 pm »

I'm beginning to think that's an impossibility.  I've been having creepers spawn in well lit rooms, way too many sticking around through many days of building and they always seem to find a way to get exactly where I need to go.

There's definitely some evil code change involved.  I don't care what anyone says.
It's no 'evil code change,' creepers have always been able to be inside locked-up houses full of torches. Why that is remains a mystery.
Nothing important here, move along.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12683 on: October 07, 2011, 02:11:14 pm »

Holy crap, that enderworld looks awesome. I'm curious if the dragons actually look like that or are missing their textures, though.

It's no 'evil code change,' creepers have always been able to be inside locked-up houses full of torches. Why that is remains a mystery.
They follow right behind you on your way in, then dash into your bedroom while you're shutting the door.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12684 on: October 07, 2011, 02:12:11 pm »

I don't really like the look of the dragon.  Of course, it doesn't look finished at all and I'm sure it'll get tweaked and textured, but even so it's just another European-style dragon.  I was hoping for some monstrous string of blocks with a black ghast-like thing for a head.  That would be a proper Ender dragon.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12685 on: October 07, 2011, 02:12:51 pm »

Nah, creepers getting in was a bug before, but now.
Spoiler: Secret Knowledge (click to show/hide)
*Hugs*

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12686 on: October 07, 2011, 02:15:31 pm »

I somehow like the dragon's color as it is right now. I know that it's still incomplete, but I want it to be white, with black/jade markings and nether particles.

As for the dragon's model itself, I like everything, except it's head. It looks so out of place, being a bit fatter in proportion to it's other limbs. It needs to be sleek.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12687 on: October 07, 2011, 03:52:18 pm »

So that guy who's spent the last forever walking to the Far Lands wasted his time then?

He's still doing it in 1.7, AND he's doing it for charity, so it was never a waste of time~

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12688 on: October 07, 2011, 04:09:36 pm »

Prince Ashitaka (Semi-WIP, but pretty much finished):

That hood/mask took some shenanigins, but I think it came out pretty good from any perspective. I didn't do his straw cloak yet, but I may... pity we can't customize or wear capes in-game yet, without mods. Anyway, while I'm on a Princess Mononoke kick, I might do San next. Her mask is hella cool.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 04:12:53 pm by Solifuge »

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #12689 on: October 07, 2011, 06:14:40 pm »

I'd prefer if dragons weren't in the ender. I think the ender deserves weirder things.

Speaking of that, I saw my first Enderman today. I ran away, then realized "Hey, I've got to fight one eventually. Might as well be now."

I looked at it, and then moved. And then it ran at me, and immediately disappeared. Permanently. I checked behind me, I checked aboveground near where I was. It just disappeared entirely.

I'm afraid it's going to teleport behind me any minute now.
Pages: 1 ... 844 845 [846] 847 848 ... 1380