Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 743 744 [745] 746 747 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2418797 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #11160 on: August 19, 2011, 03:51:32 pm »

did it do it in multiplayer? was it stable?
Does that matter?
If ANYTHING Notch's team should be able to do it BETTER because the stupid fuckers have the complete set of easy to use source code. Modders have to use jumbled psuedo source code because that's how java works.

It does matter, actually. If there is a fundamental code issue preventing it from working in Multiplayer, then Mojang maybe have decided it just worth a giant re-write to implement. Yes, they have the ability to do it better. But would it be worth the time?

Notch did mention that they were taking into consideration some edge cases when they added pistons in as official code. A modder can just say "Oh, well, it breaks if you do X, Y, or Z. Don't do that." and people are ok with it. If Notch put in code that breaks horribly, he gets a huge amount of flak for it. And justifiably so.

So I can see why they'd reduce the scope to make sure that doesn't happen. I don't know if that's correct or they're just saying stuff to cover up laziness, but having done a fair amount of programming myself...it's easy to discover that old code doesn't do what you want when you add more stuff in. And they may have decided that the extra effort to put in ALL of the functionality in a way that works all of the time just wasn't worth it. Would you rather have them spend an extra month just to get the chest moving in?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11161 on: August 19, 2011, 03:54:02 pm »

Oh, hello Saint Roka. What's that, you say? Immune to poison? Well, okay. Here. Stand in this Freezing Cloud while I close this door in your face.

Oh, hello Saint Roka. Still standing in that Freezing Cloud? Okay. Well, bye.

Oh, hello Saint Roka. Well, bye.

Repeat ad nauseum.

Oh, wait. Wrong thread.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11162 on: August 19, 2011, 04:02:10 pm »

Notch did mention that they were taking into consideration some edge cases when they added pistons in as official code. A modder can just say "Oh, well, it breaks if you do X, Y, or Z. Don't do that." and people are ok with it. If Notch put in code that breaks horribly, he gets a huge amount of flak for it. And justifiably so.
There is a Youtube video of rotating double chests that will crash the game so yeah... that's a definite possibility.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11163 on: August 19, 2011, 05:00:54 pm »

Saint. Why do you have such a huge problem with Notch? You're acting like he's just stopped updating the game suddenly. He's not being 'lazy'. He's not taking our money and running. Are you just IGNORING the many updates he continues to release? Yes, things have slowed down. The man has a life ya know. Not to mention code gets harder and harder to update as it gets bigger.

Oh, and in case you haven't noticed? Giant game studios STILL don't update their games half as fast as Notch is. The speed he was going at when it was in alpha... please, most dev teams would kill to get things done that fast. You're acting like his previous development speed means he's not ever allowed to slow down, no matter how many excuses he has.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11164 on: August 19, 2011, 05:30:54 pm »

No one can really say anything until they have played version 1.8 and decided if all the time was worth the update.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #11165 on: August 19, 2011, 05:36:52 pm »

No one can really say anything until they have played version 1.8 and decided if all the time was worth the update.
This. Completely this. I couldn't have said it better.

Guys, let Saint troll if he wants to troll.

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11166 on: August 19, 2011, 05:39:47 pm »

Hey guys, this guy expresses a completely different opinion than me, he must be a troll...
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11167 on: August 19, 2011, 05:40:51 pm »

Saint. Why do you have such a huge problem with Notch? You're acting like he's just stopped updating the game suddenly. He's not being 'lazy'. He's not taking our money and running. Are you just IGNORING the many updates he continues to release? Yes, things have slowed down. The man has a life ya know. Not to mention code gets harder and harder to update as it gets bigger.

Oh, and in case you haven't noticed? Giant game studios STILL don't update their games half as fast as Notch is. The speed he was going at when it was in alpha... please, most dev teams would kill to get things done that fast. You're acting like his previous development speed means he's not ever allowed to slow down, no matter how many excuses he has.
No I have outright stopped playing minecraft after pistons were "updated" and no longer launched chests, game got far too boring and repeatative for me to justify playing it.
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #11168 on: August 19, 2011, 06:20:21 pm »

Hey guys, this guy expresses a completely different opinion than me, he must be a troll...

No, it's not the fact that you express an opinion that is different from other people's. It that you are relentlessly attacking Notch for reasons of your own which many think are unfounded, and you attack anyone who says that you are being unreasonable.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #11169 on: August 19, 2011, 06:32:15 pm »

There is a Youtube video of rotating double chests that will crash the game so yeah... that's a definite possibility.
The only reason for that is because the mod didn't change the base classes.
The fix was incredibly simple, but it was never performed because the mod was intended to be base clean.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11170 on: August 19, 2011, 07:04:52 pm »

No, it's not the fact that you express an opinion that is different from other people's. It that you are relentlessly attacking Notch for reasons of your own which many think are unfounded, and you attack anyone who says that you are being unreasonable.

Many people thought bottled water was a stupid idea too.... Your just using peer pressure now. Everyone should just stop and wait until the update comes out.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11171 on: August 19, 2011, 07:17:09 pm »

Thats one of the smartest things I heard all day.

Its not your opinion that makes you a troll, its how your expressing it. If you were mature about it and expressed your opinion kindly then you would not be a troll, but instead you completely disrespect and attack Notch just a, *a Troll*, and act like your opinion is "set in Stone" fact. And like dragonshardz said, you shoot down everyone elses opinion. I respect that you dislike Notch, but this is no call for you attitude about the matter.
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #11172 on: August 19, 2011, 07:52:30 pm »

Everyone should just stop
This is more what I was going for. Even if others don't, just shut up about Notch's work schedule and life, Saint's posts, or whatever it is you have an irresistible urge to argue about. And if it steps into the territory of flaming people, use the report button.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11173 on: August 19, 2011, 09:17:59 pm »

Many people thought bottled water was a stupid idea too.... Your just using peer pressure now. Everyone should just stop and wait until the update comes out.

It is a stupid idea. It's tap water leeching an endocrine disruptor out of the plastic and you're putting it inside yourself. Sometimes it is taking water from drought prone areas and sending it to places that don't suffer from drought.

Pick a different stupid idea.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11174 on: August 20, 2011, 12:07:14 am »

It is a stupid idea. It's tap water leeching an endocrine disruptor out of the plastic and you're putting it inside yourself. Sometimes it is taking water from drought prone areas and sending it to places that don't suffer from drought.

Pick a different stupid idea.

I can't believe I'm getting into an argument like this here, but that is bad business practices, not a bad idea.
Pages: 1 ... 743 744 [745] 746 747 ... 1380