Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 742 743 [744] 745 746 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2418825 times)

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #11145 on: August 18, 2011, 04:53:54 pm »

What was the indev water like?
Water was made up of blocks with gravity which always tried to move into empty spaces. On island maps the edge of the map was an infinite source (water in normal lava in hell maps) but finite pockets could be created, by cutting parts of the sea off, or found underground.

It was much like DF liquids but without each block being divided into 7 and without the pressure.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 04:57:19 pm by Vattic »
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Roboboy33

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENJOYING_CATS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11146 on: August 18, 2011, 06:56:50 pm »

Adamantine is thre wrong color.... it's supposed to be light blue... NOT ORANGE
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE CATS

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11147 on: August 18, 2011, 07:55:25 pm »

I highly dissagree with this, accually. Minecraft is one of the only games of its kind, one of the only games that allows to be build whatever you want. It gives you complete freedom. Therefore, its the only thing people will buy to get that kind of Freedom. Minecraft can live for a very very long time if Notch Plays his cards right, maybe it'll live even after his very death.

Also, to all who are complaining about the Infinite Water. Click the Link.
Yes, I mentioned that mod. We want that to be implemented into the game officially. Like pistons were. :)
That would... actually be a terrible move on Notch's part. Pistons are a new feature. That you have no reason to use if you don't want to. But changing the water? Not everyone likes finite water. And those who do? Get the mod. Putting finite water in the game REMOVES an option, not adds one.

...well, at least until someone made a "infinite water" mod. Which would be a few days. But that's just a silly reversal of the situation that restores the choice notch would be taking away.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Roboboy33

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENJOYING_CATS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11148 on: August 18, 2011, 08:09:10 pm »

I highly dissagree with this, accually. Minecraft is one of the only games of its kind, one of the only games that allows to be build whatever you want. It gives you complete freedom. Therefore, its the only thing people will buy to get that kind of Freedom. Minecraft can live for a very very long time if Notch Plays his cards right, maybe it'll live even after his very death.

Yes, I mentioned that mod. We want that to be implemented into the game officially. Like pistons were. :)
That would... actually be a terrible move on Notch's part. Pistons are a new feature. That you have no reason to use if you don't want to. But changing the water? Not everyone likes finite water. And those who do? Get the mod. Putting finite water in the game REMOVES an option, not adds one.

...well, at least until someone made a "infinite water" mod. Which would be a few days. But that's just a silly reversal of the situation that restores the choice notch would be taking away.
Or, we could just have an option on worldgen for (in)finite liquids

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11149 on: August 18, 2011, 08:24:30 pm »

They had decent reasoning for what features they removed. They had a theme they wanted to preserve and they didn't feel that the way pistons worked would support throwing things around everywhere. So they removed the spring effect on entities.
What was Jeb's reasoning for removing the ability to push chests, then?

IIRC the entity data associated with the contents clashed with the multiplayer somehow, I *THINK* it was that chest contents would become desynced with the server when pushed, but don't quote me on that.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11150 on: August 18, 2011, 08:50:57 pm »

They had decent reasoning for what features they removed. They had a theme they wanted to preserve and they didn't feel that the way pistons worked would support throwing things around everywhere. So they removed the spring effect on entities.
What was Jeb's reasoning for removing the ability to push chests, then?

IIRC the entity data associated with the contents clashed with the multiplayer somehow, I *THINK* it was that chest contents would become desynced with the server when pushed, but don't quote me on that.

So it was just laziness to fix that problem? Didn't the piston mod's original maker recently release a mod that "fixes" all the stuff that Notch's team didn't add when they made the pistons official?
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11151 on: August 18, 2011, 10:33:15 pm »

Or, we could just have an option on worldgen for (in)finite liquids

Except then, Notch would be responsible for bug-fixing two different fluid systems. If an update breaks a mod, too bad, wait for the mod-maker to fix it. If an update breaks an official feature, it's time for a hot-fix (which will, again, break mods...) You've also got to consider regression testing - which means longer update delays while all the finite water edge cases are checked against every new addition.

Oh, and optional or not, you just know some group in the Minecraft community would see this as the 13th sign of the apocalypse and begin ending the world one forum post at a time.  :P

Roboboy33

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENJOYING_CATS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11152 on: August 19, 2011, 12:13:55 am »

actually, pistons dont move chests because the chests items would be lost, the chest has data on a specific point, and if is moved by a piston it cant acess that data because its not on the block, items are stored in a specific point, not the block.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #11153 on: August 19, 2011, 01:13:40 am »

actually, pistons dont move chests because the chests items would be lost, the chest has data on a specific point, and if is moved by a piston it cant acess that data because its not on the block, items are stored in a specific point, not the block.
It amazes me that people can still think that.

Obviously, the piston MOD did it just fine.  (No, it didn't edit any of the core game classes to allow for it.  It was entirely possible in the first place.)
The incompetency in this case lies with Jeb's half-assed implementation of the pistons, not Notch's half-assed implementation of the world.
They're both half-assed, though.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #11154 on: August 19, 2011, 06:38:34 am »

If this is true, how did the piston mod do THAT VERY THING?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11155 on: August 19, 2011, 06:41:52 am »

did it do it in multiplayer? was it stable?

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11156 on: August 19, 2011, 07:55:32 am »

I don't know the code behind the game, but why would it be so hard to say:
"Hey server, give me the item ids and counts from chest id#26 and #27" (if there are two chests next to each other...)

The only difficult part of all that is determining how many chests next to each other breaks the combo chests.  If that was the case, I'm sure people would be fine with single chests instead of the double chest feature... or just expand the inventory to have scroll bars and let any chest that connects to the one you open be displayed. :p
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #11157 on: August 19, 2011, 02:56:49 pm »

I don't know the code behind the game, but why would it be so hard to say:
"Hey server, give me the item ids and counts from chest id#26 and #27" (if there are two chests next to each other...)

The only difficult part of all that is determining how many chests next to each other breaks the combo chests.  If that was the case, I'm sure people would be fine with single chests instead of the double chest feature... or just expand the inventory to have scroll bars and let any chest that connects to the one you open be displayed. :p

Because Notch is a derp.

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11158 on: August 19, 2011, 03:39:16 pm »

did it do it in multiplayer? was it stable?
Does that matter?
If ANYTHING Notch's team should be able to do it BETTER because the stupid fuckers have the complete set of easy to use source code. Modders have to use jumbled psuedo source code because that's how java works.
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #11159 on: August 19, 2011, 03:44:13 pm »

While I agree with your sentiment Saint, your tone is really not necessary.
Pages: 1 ... 742 743 [744] 745 746 ... 1380