Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 739 740 [741] 742 743 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2418805 times)

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #11100 on: August 17, 2011, 06:52:50 pm »

I just really hate the guy.
Anyone who claims to do anything for people then just take their money and leave for a long period of time and not do anything with that thing is in my book that way. Congress is there. He's right next to congress, and the school district.

If he had said, yeah if you guys buy this now, I'll get us into beta then be warned, heads up, I'm taking a large portion of the year off. Then yes I'd have been ok with that, the fact that he said he would dutifully develope the game and then did that was not ok. Same with Datarealms, I hate them just as much and hope they go broke. My hatred for notch is just more focused here.

And before you say "But Saint you're an idiot, Notch can legaly do that, he has no obligation to even finish the game, you paid your 15$ and that's it, he could have been done at alpha launch and it wouldn't matter." Uhm, it's not a legal issue with me, I don't give a rats ass about him having to do anything, it's not even close to being about that, it's about ethics and how his are really shitty. Yes I understand he is getting married and all that, great, good for him, that doesn't mean he doesn't have to work for most of the year.

Oh and twitter posts arn't work, he could be sitting on a beach sipping fruity cocktails and post them for all I care, they won't make me think he's actually doing anything productive. A blog post is a LOT more meaningfull than a 140 character statement about any short subject.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 07:00:07 pm by Saint »
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #11101 on: August 17, 2011, 06:56:39 pm »

You're (all) taking this all far too seriously.

Chill guys, I smell the smoke of an approaching flamefest.
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #11102 on: August 17, 2011, 08:03:46 pm »

You're (all) taking this all far too seriously.

Chill guys, I smell the smoke of an approaching flamefest.
He's still right :P

It's no loss to Mojang to change the name anyway.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11103 on: August 17, 2011, 08:13:20 pm »

I just really hate the guy.
Anyone who claims to do anything for people then just take their money and leave for a long period of time and not do anything with that thing is in my book that way. Congress is there. He's right next to congress, and the school district.

If he had said, yeah if you guys buy this now, I'll get us into beta then be warned, heads up, I'm taking a large portion of the year off. Then yes I'd have been ok with that, the fact that he said he would dutifully develope the game and then did that was not ok. Same with Datarealms, I hate them just as much and hope they go broke. My hatred for notch is just more focused here.

And before you say "But Saint you're an idiot, Notch can legaly do that, he has no obligation to even finish the game, you paid your 15$ and that's it, he could have been done at alpha launch and it wouldn't matter." Uhm, it's not a legal issue with me, I don't give a rats ass about him having to do anything, it's not even close to being about that, it's about ethics and how his are really shitty. Yes I understand he is getting married and all that, great, good for him, that doesn't mean he doesn't have to work for most of the year.

Oh and twitter posts arn't work, he could be sitting on a beach sipping fruity cocktails and post them for all I care, they won't make me think he's actually doing anything productive. A blog post is a LOT more meaningfull than a 140 character statement about any short subject.

[*:23a141t5]Minecraft will remain in development for a long time:
panzerKRUSH: "I love Minecraft, but when is the release? The never ending bug fix/create cycle with patches is turning me away from the game :("
Notch: "I'm going to keep adding to it for a long time" (Nov 12, 2010)

[*:23a141t5]Minecraft will probably never be feature complete:
Noctale: "I thought beta was feature complete? Surely you won't get named monsters, skill trees and everything else in as well?"
Notch: "minecraft will probably never be feature complete.." (Nov 11, 2010)

[*:23a141t5]The Mojang team will work on both games:
Notch: "Just to be clear, I'll still be working on Minecraft, AND I'll get help. But we'll also make a second game in parallel!" (Nov 02, 2010)

[*:23a141t5]On halting the development of the game:
TheLastSheikah: "Out of interest, is there any law preventing you from simply halting development and never delivering the final game?"
Notch: "I have no idea. But why would I? It's already funded, and it's what I like doing." (Oct 29, 2010)

Oh... and he literally hasn't been doing anything this year./sarcasm  ::)
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11104 on: August 17, 2011, 08:39:39 pm »

I don't understand why people complain about Notch not updating. If the game wasn't worth 15 Euros or whatever they paid, why did they buy it?

The promise of updates can't be worth that much to them, can it?
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11105 on: August 17, 2011, 08:51:06 pm »

Bitching about what Notch does won't cause a change in his behaviors, nor will it ever impress people. Just putting it out there.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #11106 on: August 17, 2011, 09:38:14 pm »

I dunno.. People complained like crazy about torches/lanterns, and then he didn't implement 'em..

:(
That's a result of his laziness.
He was going to put them in in the Halloween update.
Then he waited until the weekend before Halloween to even start on the Halloween update.

???
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11107 on: August 17, 2011, 10:46:43 pm »

I don't understand why people complain about Notch not updating. If the game wasn't worth 15 Euros or whatever they paid, why did they buy it?

How many dollars in donations do you think toady receives so he can continue to make updates for dwarf fortress?

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #11108 on: August 17, 2011, 10:51:04 pm »

Saint, I think we get that you dislike Notch. That's all well and good.

But would you mind backing off a bit on the angry rhetoric?

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #11109 on: August 17, 2011, 10:52:34 pm »

How many dollars in donations do you think toady receives so he can continue to make updates for dwarf fortress?

From here:
July:      $6615.67
June:      $2374.03
May:       $3010.58
April:     $3018.42
March:     $4220.20
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11110 on: August 18, 2011, 04:02:22 am »

From here:

You do know that was a rhetorical question right?

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #11111 on: August 18, 2011, 04:13:44 am »

Wow, I had no idea someone could hate Notch this much.  I very much understand your point of view, Saint, I too hate the massive lack of updates.  I constantly check his tumblr and am CONSTANTLY disappointed and frustrated to find nothing new.  But come on, the man does not deserve this much hate.  I admit, I grew bored of Minecraft, and that's why I look forward so much to this new major update, and the disappointment is larger as a result.  But, the game itself is still good.  But that's not what you're whining about is it?  Your complaining about the lack of work he's been doing, but seriously, just because YOU want him to update, doesn't mean he should.  If he really obeyed the commands of every pissed off Minecraft fan, he'd be the most overworked person on the planet.  I grumble and curse every time I see he hasn't updated, but I'd never rant about it on a forum, and I'd never want him to lose ALL his money, especially considering the fact that he got married.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11112 on: August 18, 2011, 06:51:48 am »

From here:

You do know that was a rhetorical question right?
I think what he meant was toady does dwarf fortress for far and away less profit (I still find it amazing that donations are in the thousands. This community must be a lot larger then I though).

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11113 on: August 18, 2011, 08:44:04 am »

Bitching about what Notch does won't cause a change in his behaviors, nor will it ever impress people. Just putting it out there.

I don't state my opinion to impress people. I state it because it's part of a discussion.
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11114 on: August 18, 2011, 09:11:50 am »

Lets just forget everything about minecraft, its not our fucking lives, and we got no reason to rage over some XBOX fanboy mag's impression of minecraft, its bad journalism and all.
Notch got married and who knows if they are going to have a child? I mean, if they do, it would be the death of minecraft.

In the end, minecraft will be long forgotten, or dead, and that's gonna be within 5 years if you ask me, either EA buys it and rapes it, or else notch mysteriously disappears.
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?
Pages: 1 ... 739 740 [741] 742 743 ... 1380