Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 728 729 [730] 731 732 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2418822 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #10935 on: August 09, 2011, 02:22:45 pm »

I can kinda see why they are doing this. If the game "scrolls" becomes a hit, then people who have never heard of either game my reference Elder Scrolls to Scrolls. Removing the trademark they had.

In "Elder Scrolls", the world Elder is like a description. Scrolls is the noun.

In the end it would mean the elder scrolls series would lose some of it's popularity, and some may go to Scrolls, leading a shift in profits.. Whether it be little or large, they are trying to prevent that.

And if they didn't defend it, other people could start creeping up on the name and would make it easier to do so.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10936 on: August 09, 2011, 02:33:05 pm »

Yeah, but scrolls is a Computer-Based Card-Game. I don't know if you've noticed, but Hardcore RPG fans and Card Game fans are slightly different demographics.

If Scrolls was an Hardcore Action RPG, then there would be some sense in that arguement. But because its such a radically different genre, that arguement is simply irrevelent.
And according to Notchs blog, he said they are doing it because they think the names will get mixed up, which is an even worse excuse.
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10937 on: August 09, 2011, 02:44:05 pm »

And anyone who gets "The Elder Scrolls" and "Scrolls" confused, probably shouldn't be in a position where they can buy games.
*Hugs*

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10938 on: August 09, 2011, 03:03:26 pm »

People are stupid, and you will have people hearing that the elder scrolls series was awesome, and then checking out scrolls. It's simply potential profits. And with the hundreds of millions of gamers, that turns into an actual profit.

You also seem to ignored how I mentioned that if they didn't protect their trademark now, it would give leeway for others to try to leech off the popularity of the Elder Scrolls series.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #10939 on: August 09, 2011, 03:07:11 pm »

That's just it, though - Notch isn't trying to "leech off the popularity of the Elder Scrolls games". Aside from the fact that their titles both contain the word "scrolls", the two games have nothing to do with each other.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10940 on: August 09, 2011, 03:11:12 pm »

He doesn't have to want to, he just will. And that will make it easier legally for other to do so.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10941 on: August 09, 2011, 03:14:14 pm »

That line of reasoning is like saying any movie with the words "Stars" or "Wars" in the title would be trying to suck the popularity teat of Star Wars. And in practicality it just doesn't make any damn sense. Asking somebody about "That Stars movie" or "That wars movie" will be met with blank stares, because they are single words that can apply to many different movies. Scrolls follows the same line of twisted logic. Nobody will think of The Elder Scrolls series if you ask them about "That scrolls game."
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10942 on: August 09, 2011, 03:24:52 pm »

No, people will, they fall for everything from cons to fake advertisements so you know they will.

Anyway Star Wars is a full noun. Elder Scrolls is a verb/noun. You don't see people making movies called "Star Battles", because they aren't allowed to. If Elder Scrolls was originally just Scrolls, and then Notch made a game called Elder Scrolls, there would be a more obvious problem.

Let me try to word this differently.

Alternate reality: Notch has no trouble putting a trademark on "Scrolls", trademark becomes popular, Elder Scrolls loses it's trademark because people will relate it to the game scrolls. They don't need to know the genres, just the names and how popular they are.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 03:27:11 pm by Micro102 »

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10943 on: August 09, 2011, 03:26:18 pm »

And then people will refer to the games as Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim and Daggerfall.

Just like they already always do.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10944 on: August 09, 2011, 03:27:40 pm »

That line of reasoning is like saying any movie with the words "Stars" or "Wars" in the title would be trying to suck the popularity teat of Star Wars. And in practicality it just doesn't make any damn sense. Asking somebody about "That Stars movie" or "That wars movie" will be met with blank stares, because they are single words that can apply to many different movies. Scrolls follows the same line of twisted logic. Nobody will think of The Elder Scrolls series if you ask them about "That scrolls game."
I was going to say having a movie of game called Dragons ... or Dungeons and having WotC (or whoever owns them now) come after said media... but yeah.

However, I would actually identify the The Elder Scrolls series if you said "That scrolls game."  Mainly because I actually got into the lore of the Elder Scrolls.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10945 on: August 09, 2011, 03:28:25 pm »

And then people will refer to the games as Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim and Daggerfall.

Not everyone does and you don't seem to realize this. People use the term Elder scrolls, people don't know about the game elder scrolls, they clash and then misunderstandings occur. You have 100's of millions of gamers, it happens.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10946 on: August 09, 2011, 03:29:15 pm »

Not everyone does and you don't seem to realize this. People use the term Elder scrolls, people don't know about the game elder scrolls, they clash and then misunderstanding occur. You have 100's of millions of gamers, it happens.
Meh, it happens, but people move on.  Just like when I say MW, I mean MechWarrior, not Modern Warfare.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10947 on: August 09, 2011, 03:29:43 pm »

Once again, it's not Elder Scrolls.
It's THE Elder Scrolls.
And if someone didn't know what that was, why would they know about Scrolls?
*Hugs*

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10948 on: August 09, 2011, 03:32:29 pm »

Ignore, this is a duplicate.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 03:46:11 pm by Micro102 »

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10949 on: August 09, 2011, 03:35:03 pm »

Not everyone does and you don't seem to realize this. People use the term Elder scrolls, people don't know about the game elder scrolls, they clash and then misunderstanding occur. You have 100's of millions of gamers, it happens.
Meh, it happens, but people move on.  Just like when I say MW, I mean MechWarrior, not Modern Warfare.
I didn't know about Mechwarrior, congrats somewhere you just made modern warfare more popular... See?

People move on because it doesn't effect them, but if they keep making the Elder Scrolls series, it could have long term effects.
Pages: 1 ... 728 729 [730] 731 732 ... 1380