Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 720 721 [722] 723 724 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2419304 times)

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #10815 on: July 29, 2011, 02:22:42 pm »

Honestly, these sound less like "cliche movie monster" and more like some bizare SCP Foundation entity...
Probably a good move.
Zombies, skelleton archers, cubes of murderous Jello and giand arachnids are nice enough, but creepers are the only really "imaginaion-capturing" mob out there so far...
These things are definitely suitably otherworldly and eldritch for the magical, terrible nighttime world of Minecraft. <shiver>

...Moving through a clearing at night, you see some kind of fey dance of Endermen, demolishing a hill --or are they constructing something? You move in closer to see and accidently look directly at one directly. <twitch> Every eye in the clearing suddenly upon you, no motion at all anymore, just the stares... oops...

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10816 on: July 29, 2011, 02:25:39 pm »

Of course.
What with the fact that there are other monsters around at night.
These guys could just turn out to be annoying bastards.

Standing still until day comes and they scurry back to whatever hole from whence they came would be awesome, also impossible.
*Hugs*

Tradanbattlan

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_DECENCY]
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #10817 on: July 29, 2011, 02:27:28 pm »

I want special dead trees that Endermen are attracted to.

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10818 on: July 29, 2011, 02:45:41 pm »

At first I was like "Oh damn it, now that I read the blog post and know their mechanics they won't be surprising and creepy." Then I remembered that creepers still creep me the hell out when they just stand there. Staring. Judging. Hoping.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10819 on: July 29, 2011, 02:47:35 pm »

Hahaha!

I wonder if they can take apart your house o_O Can they move stone blocks?

I wonder if their AI will ever have them build any creepy temple-mound Cthulhu-esque shapes.
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10820 on: July 29, 2011, 02:49:00 pm »

SOMEONE TEST THIS OUT.

Be in a one-square wide room, glass on all sides, roof of glass, in a tower a few levels high. Look straight at one and look away, see how close they can get and if they can teleport up to you. I'd add a block of ledge all around to see how far their tele-ing goes, and if they'll only tele on ground level.

THERE MUST BE !!SCIENCE!! CONDUCTED UPON THEIR BEHAVIOR!
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #10821 on: July 29, 2011, 02:49:40 pm »

Quote from: Micro102
Diagonal tunnels downwards won't work, you will still have to go into the lava to place anything.
You start by making a 6m tall wall in the outer edge of the flow wall. The lava will spill over, so you add a row out toward you and up one meter, to keep the flow from coming toward you. Then you mine out the bottom 5m of the wall, and build a new wall in the lava flow one meter inward. Then you dig the bottom 4m out and move in again. You end up with a diagonally-slanting roof piercing the lava flow.
You just have to start with a wall as high as the lava flow is deep. 

Quote from: Micro102
Using water won't work either, the lava is vertical, a giant cube of lava with your house in the middle.
You pour the water, it hits the lava, and turns the lava flow into cobble. Then you build on the side and then on top of the side block to make a rim so the lava flow lands on the cooled cobble and stops there. Mine out a little tunnel and repeat with water on newly exposed lava.

What stops someone from hopping to the sky limit on a column of sand and building cobble down, out, and up to fill in the lava source blocks while preventing backflow onto the sand column?

Finally, as a side note, lava is not infinite. Where are we going to find 30x30=900 lava blocks to shroud the house with? And again, I'm not seeing how the house can be both lava-sealed and also accessible with a combo lock, such that the combo lock linking mechanism is impervious to someone tunneling through it.

//

I really think the anti-griefer measure is fake honeypots. You have a fake outer house, a fake inner house, and a "secret room" with combo lock that seems really cool but he can get through. In the next hillside over you have your real storehouse underground covered in sand.

Then again, anyone can use a texture pack that lets them see through typical ground tiles. So nothing is secret!
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10822 on: July 29, 2011, 02:59:04 pm »

At first I was like "Oh damn it, now that I read the blog post and know their mechanics they won't be surprising and creepy." Then I remembered that creepers still creep me the hell out when they just stand there. Staring. Judging. Hoping.

I just pretty much light everything up and ignore mobs.
Thank you based dwarf.

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10823 on: July 29, 2011, 07:19:23 pm »

Endermen are actually doing this: http://xkcd.com/505/
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10824 on: July 29, 2011, 07:23:01 pm »

Endermen. Well shit, I didn't wanna sleep anyway. Worst thing will be looking through a window in your safehouse and catching their eye, and then they teleport in with you.

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10825 on: July 29, 2011, 08:47:13 pm »

I wonder if notch also overhauled the nether, I bet we will see some nice improvements there even if he hasn't mentioned anything about it.

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10826 on: July 29, 2011, 10:29:14 pm »

Well, he has been working on npc villages, so hopefully zombie pigmen could get villages?
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10827 on: July 29, 2011, 10:35:10 pm »

Endermen. Well shit, I didn't wanna sleep anyway. Worst thing will be looking through a window in your safehouse and catching their eye, and then they teleport in with you.

ohgodswhywouldyouevensaythat D:

Croquantes

• Bay Watcher
  • Essence of Chicken
    • View Profile
« Reply #10828 on: July 29, 2011, 11:55:18 pm »

Anyone using Millenaire? The last big update for the mod really surprised me. The last thing I expected was Indian villages. They're cool though, and the mod's a lot faster now. Less lag spikes!

The new villages are really visually different than the Norman villages. It's refreshing, and help makes the world seem alive.

I love Millenaire so much. I just hope the villages that Notch is implementing in 1.8 can be as great. If not, there's always Millenaire. :)

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #10829 on: July 30, 2011, 12:06:06 am »

I want to play it but my computer can barely handle small little simple mods without freezing, let alone something like that. I actually have the game run at least two times better when playing on a server so tend to stick to the multilayer scene.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.
Pages: 1 ... 720 721 [722] 723 724 ... 1380