Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 693 694 [695] 696 697 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2420649 times)

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #10410 on: June 28, 2011, 05:13:53 pm »

Hmm... from a developer's standpoint, that's about as dangerous a concept as you can propose. Take a perfectly functional game that's sold a whole bunch of units, then make drastic changes. Screw up, and you've pissed off a very large and vocal fanbase. Succeed, and you still won't be selling any extra units to people who already own the game. It's kind of a lose-lose situation.  :-\

Still, the worst that happens from our perspective is we hold on to version 1.7 as the "Holy Grail of Minecraft", and the best that happens is we get an awesome update to an already-awesome game. So I guess I shouldn't complain too loudly.  ;)

People lost all right to complain that things changed much when they bought an alpha/beta.

Isn't Notch technically also working on Scrolls?
I dunno, I think its mainly in the idea stage right now. Am I the only person who doesn't want a card based strategy game?

Notch isn't working on Scrolls, except in discussing ideas with Jeb. Notch is only working on MC directly.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10411 on: June 28, 2011, 05:14:19 pm »

People will complain no matter what it is. The fact that it isn't done six months ago and not fully functional fully rotating moving block-based ships with physics will cause a shitstorm to be brewed. And people bitching about how a mod did it first and better.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10412 on: June 28, 2011, 06:17:37 pm »

Hopefully, this update will deliver what it lacks in comparison to, say, Terraria.
This. I've lost interest in Minecraft due to Terraria. I probably won't play MC for a while until N@W starts.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10413 on: June 28, 2011, 07:12:02 pm »

Y'know, I actually lost interest in Terraria really fast because it felt like there was so little to do.
I got all the items and beat all the bosses and it was like, well, that was fun, what now?
And I went back to Minecraft, and did a bunch of running around exploring the landscapes and making shit with redstone.
Lag is the only reason I don't play MC much anymore.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #10414 on: June 28, 2011, 07:14:12 pm »

Y'know, I actually lost interest in Terraria really fast because it felt like there was so little to do.
I got all the items and beat all the bosses and it was like, well, that was fun, what now?
And I went back to Minecraft, and did a bunch of running around exploring the landscapes and making shit with redstone.
Except in the time it's taken notch to implement pistons, Terraria has introduced a ton of new content.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10415 on: June 28, 2011, 07:18:54 pm »

Except in the time it's taken notch to implement pistons, Terraria has introduced a ton of new content.

In the time it took Terraria to start actually adding new content Notch made Multiplayer Creative.

Let's all do our own bullshit judging scales here while we are at it.

I'm really with Ein on this one. Terraria got boring in under a week when you did everything. What else could you do? you couldn't exactly make huge structures because the environment was more limited. It makes adventuring and content easier to add, but it doesn't last a long time. Minecraft continues to be massively popular because it's a great medium for building. Adventure content is not gonna make people stay, it's building. And really, no other game does it with such elegance and ease.
 (Until Beta Creative comes out anyway)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 07:20:43 pm by Duke 2.0 »
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10416 on: June 28, 2011, 09:22:48 pm »

Totally agree with the 'bored of terraria' crowd, I've never been big into platform games and such. The week after Terraria got stale for me I first started playing with Millenaire and stuff. The mods really add whole new layers of awesome stuff to play with.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10417 on: June 28, 2011, 09:46:46 pm »

Quote from: Notch on Twitter
Also, if you want to, you can make mods able to enter creative mode on a server running in another game mode.

Wait what? Is he talking about client side mods overriding the server's set mode? I'm assuming no.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10418 on: June 28, 2011, 10:04:28 pm »

I'm not really sure what he means, but it sounds like it'll neat regardless.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #10419 on: June 28, 2011, 10:06:31 pm »

New Jaycraft is going to be up for the next few hours, burning in the "new" old rig.
I'll move the actual post if I can get a high place on one of the pages (no, I don't care that your pages start in different places, people with non-standard post/page counts) but for now just use the link in my sig to get the details.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

HLBeta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10420 on: June 28, 2011, 11:11:04 pm »

I'm just waiting for Notch to announce colored lights. He's already said that the new lighting allows for tinting so I want to see the option of adding a bit of dye powder to torches for some mood lighting. My piston-powered disco demands it!
... and then it explodes!

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10421 on: June 28, 2011, 11:15:26 pm »

I'm just waiting for Notch to announce colored lights. He's already said that the new lighting allows for tinting so I want to see the option of adding a bit of dye powder to torches for some mood lighting. My piston-powered disco demands it!
With some redstone speed improvements colored lights could make color monitors. :D

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10422 on: June 28, 2011, 11:18:47 pm »

With some redstone speed improvements colored lights could make color monitors. :D

Well, that and more restrictive redstone circuits. A battery of adjacent lights:

####
####
####
####

could not currently (AFAIK) be configured such that any single light was active independent of its neighbours - redstone circuits are just too large and bulky, speed improvements or no.  :'(

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #10423 on: June 29, 2011, 12:25:29 am »

But you might be able to make pistons move colored blocks to make a nine-color display.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10424 on: June 29, 2011, 08:11:22 am »

I thought Notch already shot down colored lights?  I remember somewhere they said they tried it and it "didn't look right" or something.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."
Pages: 1 ... 693 694 [695] 696 697 ... 1380