Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 681 682 [683] 684 685 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2421278 times)

electronics

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Minecraft Address of the server
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #10230 on: June 23, 2011, 06:09:17 am »

I'm so signing up for that. Making some mob traps to get gunpowder for TNT etc would be very useful as well. (I'll start planning those if no one else minds =P).
EDIT: Forget that, just read the rules: No Mob Farms so, maybe at least a dark room wher eyou can shoot creepers would do...
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 06:16:03 am by electronics »
1=0

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #10231 on: June 23, 2011, 06:14:09 am »

Setting up some fake bases with simple automatic traps could be useful for this too.

Utilising waters slowing, and to a lesser extent pushing, effect bears thinking about. I could see this used along side dispensers and arrows or just to aid those using bows even.
Or just set up a series of 25 identical base forts in a 5x5 grid all with super deadly traps and covered in magma but put the valuable chest under a tree off to the side.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10232 on: June 23, 2011, 07:40:31 am »

Why no mob farms?
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #10233 on: June 23, 2011, 07:42:47 am »

Prevent one civ farming loldynamite, presumably. Probably us, in fact :P.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10234 on: June 23, 2011, 08:14:21 am »

Or just set up a series of 25 identical base forts in a 5x5 grid all with super deadly traps and covered in magma but put the valuable chest under a tree off to the side.

Why bother with a tree? Pressing F3 reveals the coords, you can give exact details for an object buried in a completely featureless plain. I would advise one thing however, whatever you do; hide things away from chunk boundaries. While it's less common than it used to be, chunk errors can still occur. If a chest is at the edge of a chunk, a chunk error next door can reveal it. If it's in the middle of a chunk, then it's safe.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10235 on: June 23, 2011, 08:17:12 am »

Oh come on, they'll never notice that we* are farming loldynamite.

* We meaning: You all, who I am totally not attempting to sabatage.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10236 on: June 23, 2011, 08:33:06 am »

Nothing to stop you from mining under their side and setting up a farm and reporting them!
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10237 on: June 23, 2011, 08:34:36 am »

Nothing to stop you from mining under their side and setting up a farm and reporting them!
Actually, the application process for the server does stop me from framing them. Besides, I only troll people in real life, doing it on the internet is boring.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10238 on: June 23, 2011, 08:46:01 am »

I guess the whole "no mob farming" can be so easily worked around as if they were traps that it seems like a silly rule to me.  Why couldn't you setup a checkerboard pattern of single tile holes that would kill someone/something falling in it?  You could arguably state that it was a prevention measure for the other teams but conveniently pick up any fallout from monsters.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10239 on: June 23, 2011, 08:51:38 am »

Mob Farms are defined as anything that allows you to kill mobs without them being able to kill you.
*Hugs*

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10240 on: June 23, 2011, 08:59:02 am »

Mob Farms are defined as anything that allows you to kill mobs without them being able to kill you.
And a falling trap (obviously designed for players to slow them down or direct their attention away from your archers because they will have to look at their footing) could be argued as not a mob trap even though it may kill mobs that fall in without being able to hurt you.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #10241 on: June 23, 2011, 09:45:14 am »

They basically just look at something and say "Is this going to give the builders massive quantities of mob drops?" And if yes, they fill it with magma. No, you can't farm magma this way.

I think we could get away with a catacombs, though. Something just to produce hordes of monsters but then let them mill around until you decide to go down and clear it out with your sword.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10242 on: June 23, 2011, 09:48:30 am »

Yeah, in that case the mobs can kill you as well, so it seems fair.
And now that you mention it, it would be a nice protective measure as well, having a maze full of mobs, with a secret passage for us to use.
*Hugs*

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10243 on: June 23, 2011, 09:49:26 am »

It should be fine if I used mob farms, right? Because I'd probably die anyway.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10244 on: June 23, 2011, 09:50:35 am »

You could put different special blocks at every intersection, with a certain code of blocks taking you on the only way through the maze. Anyone not in the know about the correct code would quickly get lost, be cornered by mobs, panic, and die.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 681 682 [683] 684 685 ... 1380