Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A question about water pressure.  (Read 432 times)

Gculk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A question about water pressure.
« on: May 17, 2009, 01:45:38 pm »

I'm in the process of building a giant dwarven, er...  Toilet I believe I called it.  I'm building a massive water resevoir in my mountain spanning something like 10 z levels to fill with water build up pressure on the lowest level.  Then, I'm going to dig out a moat with a ramp leading down into it, and a drawbrige for regular use.  When enemies come along, I pull up the drawbridge, forcing the goblins to walk through the moat to get to the interior of my fortress.  Once a good number are in, lever gets pulled, and the water washes the goblins away, down the moat to a 1 z-level drop to a chamber with grates on the bottom to let the water flow away.  So, since I can't order them to channel it out without massive micromanagement, if I made a chamber with all up/down stairs, will I still get the pressure I want?  For reference, this reservoir is also (ideally) going to be powering a small water cannon to wash goblins into the magma.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A question about water pressure.
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 02:01:29 pm »

I believe you will still get water pressure, but make a scale model to test.

However, be aware that washing things around with water is not really practical as it stands due to the way water works. It doesn't really "flow" once it reaches depth 7/7; instead, discrete chunks of water teleport from one end of the region to the other. This is performant but doesn't affect things in the middle of the water.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Gculk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A question about water pressure.
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 02:11:00 pm »

But before 7/7 it flows, and pushes things, yeah?