Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: WTF moments  (Read 2961 times)

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: WTF moments
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2009, 02:03:58 pm »

Just a few minutes ago: "Why is there a camel rampaging through my base?"  :-\

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2009, 02:32:40 pm »

I began using my First Magma pipe.
After i found it several z levels under the surface, i stationed all my marksdwarfes around it an killed of all Fire Imps. After setting up several Workshops I started thinking: "Well the pipes arent that dangerous...".

Well I was about to be proven wrong.
After the Season changed, I started to get the "dangerous terrain"-message and one dwarf died...
Some stupid dwarf pierced the pipe, because it seems you dont get any more "warm stone located"-messages after discovering the pige.
So the Lava was leaking down the main stairway, trapping my dwarves on several z-levels...

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2009, 02:55:18 pm »

After i found it several z levels under the surface, i stationed all my marksdwarfes around it an killed of all Fire Imps. After setting up several Workshops I started thinking: "Well the pipes arent that dangerous...".

After the Season changed, I started to get the "dangerous terrain"-message and one dwarf died...
Some stupid dwarf pierced the pipe, because it seems you dont get any more "warm stone located"-messages after discovering the pige.
So the Lava was leaking down the main stairway, trapping my dwarves on several z-levels...

Wow pretty much everything i was about to post seems tame...
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2009, 03:03:15 pm »

My fisherman, unfortunate guy, trapped outside the moat during a siege.  He just wrestled 2 goblins into a standstill.  A swordsman then came up and killed him, but at least he went down fighting.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2009, 03:12:27 pm »

Wow pretty much everything i was about to post seems tame...
You turned temp off. Probably.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2009, 04:34:23 pm »

In one game where I was in an area with an underground pool I noticed soon after I started that there were dead snakemen/olmmen/whatever on the units list and I put that off as a glitch since I couldn't find any corpses. A short time later, I noticed that one of my dwarves was flashing the wounded symbol and walking around, he happened to be my brewer. In the announcements it said what you might expect, but there weren't any live enemy creatures or even corpses for that matter. His wound turned out to be that one of his lungs were badly mangled (red). The guy still worked as hard as he could even though he occasionally got winded. Since I didn't want to lose my highest skilled brewer, I set him to work indoors only.

In another game when I was doing something to the bedroom area, I notriced a deer corpse in one of the rooms and was like 'What the heck?'. I checked who the room belonged to and it belonged to a ranger/hunter and his (or her) spouse. That made some sense to me, but still... talk about bringing your work home.

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2009, 07:04:46 pm »

A horse has to be tough to survive in that 'hood.

I haven't had too many unavoidable wtf moments.  Most of them involve either figuring out how in the hell to play the game, or why pressure plates never work right.

I think my biggest underestimation was in dealing with a fort right next to pipe, exposed to the surface.  Since, I've learned that the fear of fire imps is totally rational.
if his fortress is the hood, mine is suburbia, the occasional lunatic moving in next door included.

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2009, 07:11:11 pm »

Just a few minutes ago: "Why is there a camel rampaging through my base?"  :-\

Later on...
"Why is there another camel rampaging through my base? And why is my military unable to stop it!? It must be Camelzilla!"

Earth Striker Lurin

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's Go to Work...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2009, 07:33:42 pm »

once I had a pair of cats wander to the other side of a 7x7 map and die to bat men.   why can't all cats implode like that...
"So I looked to the left of me, looked to the right of me, raised the giant's severed arm above my head and said 'Let's go to work...'"   -- Lurin Diamondfist relating the time he had to mine without a pick axe.

zinckelhoff

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2009, 07:45:50 pm »

My first WTF moment was my first magma pipe fortress. I found out later that a fire imp had attacked a muskox and managed to the the entire 6x6 heavily forested map on fire. One of my dwarves bled to death from the smoke somehow and when it cleared, the map was covered with ash but every tree was alive.

My next one came when my friend sent me a succession map without telling me about orcs. After five minutes of trying to improve the efficiency of his terrible fortress layout, an orc siege arrived. They slaughtered all the dwarves but one, and started hunting kittens until they found him. That's when I discovered the true meaning of fun.

Another came a few weeks ago when my fortress was attacked by a stealth hippo.
It's easier to operate and safer.
You're no dwarf.

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2009, 11:39:59 pm »

stealth hippo.

Otacon: Snake! The weight sensors in the elevator are reading several hundred pounds more than you weigh!
Snake: But... I don't see anything...
Otacon: It must be a hippo wearing my optic camo!
Snake: ...
Otacon: A stealth hippo!
Snake: ... What!?

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2009, 11:52:18 pm »

When skeletal whales started climbing out of the sea... Best. Fort. Ever.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2009, 05:47:03 am »

Lol, I think all of us who jumped into the game without reading the documentation were wtfpwned by carp.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2009, 06:12:36 am »

Back when cliff were still sheer, i was supervising the construction of an outdoor mosaic when all of the sudden two kobold corpses appears out of nowhere and spontaneously cover the entire area with body parts.

Some investigation later i found a named giant eagle on the cliff overlooking my mosaic surrounded by 4 more dead kobolds. Turns out he tossed them off during the fight and that you don't get warnings when wildlife rips them apart before they get near dwarves.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2009, 07:00:01 am »

Back when cliff were still sheer, i was supervising the construction of an outdoor mosaic when all of the sudden two kobold corpses appears out of nowhere and spontaneously cover the entire area with body parts.

Some investigation later i found a named giant eagle on the cliff overlooking my mosaic surrounded by 4 more dead kobolds. Turns out he tossed them off during the fight and that you don't get warnings when wildlife rips them apart before they get near dwarves.

I had something similar happen with a quartet of Fire Imps who decided they didn't like the Magma Pipe and would rather migrate to a nearby mountain.

Not long later i noticed my Dorfs were panicing due to Fire Imps, i wasn't entirely surprised; i'd been watching them dance around the map and figured it was only a matter of time, what i was surprised to see was 3 unconscious and badly maimed fire imps lying on the ground outside my entrance. And as i watched a fourth one appeared.

The odd thing is that there weren't any flyers at all on that map; my entrance was dug into the side of a mountain that i'd turned into a sheer cliff some 4 z levels tall, and to this day i can only conclude that the Imps got bored with life and decided to hurl themselves off the cliff to splatter all over my dwarves below.
Pages: 1 [2] 3