Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: WTF moments  (Read 2959 times)

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
WTF moments
« on: May 17, 2009, 10:57:16 am »

I expected a thread like this to be around, but didn't find any. Share moments that made you WTF :P

Anyway.. I had a fortress near undead and lava, with plenty of skeletal imps, magma men, and some skeletal goats wreaking havoc. I fully expected an onslaught from them and kept my fort well defended against them, ready for their invasion.

Well.. a year after starting.. a dwarf died! I searched all over the place but couldn't find the killer. Then some puppies died. And while doing stuff, I found a dead peasant dropping from the sky.

Turns out that there was a Horse covered in blood kicking guys off cliffs. The Horse had a name. I chased it down with another guy... who died, killed by another Horse.

WTF? I could beat skeletal mountain goats, but horses are killing my guys? I manned dwarfed a small militia to guard the drawbridge and the horses disappeared. Then my guys decided to take a quick break from the post, which was fine, since there were no horses in sight. Next thing I read:
Edem Osormorul, Recruit cancels Rest: Interrupted by a Horse.
Edem Osormorul, Recruit has been struck down.

I locked everyone in, set them to an intense training plan that turned them into champion wrestlers within the next season. And when I set out to avenge my fallen brothers, the named horses are gone! THOSE HORSES ARE PURE EVIL.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
Re: WTF moments
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 12:23:25 pm »

A horse has to be tough to survive in that 'hood.

I haven't had too many unavoidable wtf moments.  Most of them involve either figuring out how in the hell to play the game, or why pressure plates never work right.

I think my biggest underestimation was in dealing with a fort right next to pipe, exposed to the surface.  Since, I've learned that the fear of fire imps is totally rational.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 02:19:24 pm »

Yeah. My first really-successful fortress got all but wiped out by a murderous horde of hippos, way back when. Blasted hippos..

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 02:24:46 pm »

So I was starting a magma forge based around a magma pipe. I knew that magma does not flow up, so I just find an area over a ledge in the pipe and make channels for magma workshops there. I look away for around a season, 'till I get cancellation messages about magma.

My magma forges were filled with magma.

It appears the pipe is arranged in such a way that the very bottom of the pipe is directly underneath the channels, and thus the pipe decides that the chanels are the top of the pipe. Thus it forms blobs of magma slowly over the channels, into my forges.

I...
 It appears magma workshops are not as safe as we thought,
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 03:27:41 pm »

Stupid dragon, it was killed easily by one dwarf, but left burning puddles of random metals in the trade depot for weeks.  Also random smoke that obscured everything.

The first real "WTF" moment I had was when I randomly lost a (legendary) clerk in my fortress, and never found the body.  I suspect foul play of the kobold thief, but the thief left no trace and didn't seem to have stolen anything.  His wife was left with a red head wound, and it took her years to recover.  Not good since the only water source most of the time was the carp filled river of death.

Luraien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 05:11:01 pm »

After a night of steady alcohol consumption I challenged myself to build an ice fortress. I spent ages digging out rooms and finally I placed a load of water-based buildings. While those were being made I put a load of quick stock-piles on the surface to get stuff off the wagon, then I checked on how things were going downstairs. All my carefully placed buildings were gone, so I layed them all out again. This, at the time, was truly a WTF moment.

I then realised water wasn't a valid building material and proceeded to slam my head on the keyboard.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009, 09:03:43 pm »

When I turned temp off, went to play, and struck a magma pipe-and since temp was OFF, I had NO warning about it...then i found a miner covered in 4/7 magma (he can swim a bit), just slowly walking down the tunnel the magma filled (it was all exploratory stuff, no big loss). THAT was a real WTF moment for me-it never had really struck me that turning off temp would make magma act weird. Now I know. On the other hand...now it is possible for me to commission the Dwarven MAGMA S.E.A.L.s unit!
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2009, 09:22:09 pm »

When I turned temp off, went to play, and struck a magma pipe-and since temp was OFF, I had NO warning about it...then i found a miner covered in 4/7 magma (he can swim a bit), just slowly walking down the tunnel the magma filled (it was all exploratory stuff, no big loss). THAT was a real WTF moment for me-it never had really struck me that turning off temp would make magma act weird. Now I know. On the other hand...now it is possible for me to commission the Dwarven MAGMA S.E.A.L.s unit!

Beware, if you ever turn temperature back on, the magma-drenched dwarf will burst into flames, along with anyone else who took a swim in the magma channel.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

ElChad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2009, 09:30:54 pm »

Beware, if you ever turn temperature back on, the magma-drenched dwarf will burst into flames, along with anyone else who took a swim in the magma channel.

That'd make one hell of a light show.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2009, 09:39:10 pm »

Go the whole hog and put 4/7 magma between the fortress and the booze. Then if your fortress ever gets invaded, take the bastards with you.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2009, 09:43:16 pm »

Giant moles sound harmless, right? So skeletal giant moles shouldn't be much more dangerous, right?

How wrong I was. It ripped apart anybody I sent at it. Even en masse.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2009, 09:56:32 pm »

My biggest WTF moment was discovering that building fortifications (which I had envisioned as walls with arrow-slits in them, for shooting out of) were actually half-walls, and don't provide a ceiling,floor to build off of.

Also, idiot dwarves building walls from the wrong side. RAGE!!

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2009, 01:10:19 am »

Building on the ocean. With great white sharks. I had a magnificent fortress, max pop of 100 at the time, was on my previous crap computer. Few dwarves got ambushed by... no lie, jumping great whites. Only access to the ocean was like 3 z levels below and I started to have dwarves getting picked off when I enabled fishing to a ton of them, however I had a period where I didn't know what to do so I had my dwarves mill about, party etc. BAD BAD IDEA! They all became friends, few dwarves died, tantrum spiral commence, some how I never found out how.. but a dwarf near my bridge destroyed some stuff and my GIANT fortress plunged 20+ z levels down to the depths of the ocean. I killed all the great whites though. /victory
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2009, 09:27:46 am »

two words:

wrong lever
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2009, 10:13:05 am »

Carps gave me a couple of WTF moments. I had a perfect spot, lots of innocent wildlife and stuff. Pools as far as the eye could see, trees, lots and lots of trees, it was a small piece of heaven. I heard the stories about Carps, but somehow, my fisherman never even got interupted by the critters, so I didn't feel threatened by them.
One day though, my fisherman decided to take his little dwarven friend along for some fishing, the screams...THE SCREAMS! Urist mcFriend drowned.
It wasn't a big lost, he was a farmer, I could do without.
A few minutes later, Urist mcMiner has drowned, wtf? What was he doing outside? Urgh, there went a pickaxe =/
When Urist McTreeKiller was struck down, I threw my hands in the air and decided to never embark near rivers again. The fortress was abandoned and was never seen again :P
Pages: [1] 2 3