Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: First-time DF game too easy - how to tweak?  (Read 1145 times)

mark28443

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
First-time DF game too easy - how to tweak?
« on: May 17, 2009, 08:08:45 am »

So, I was excited by the boatmurdered story and played my first game of DF.. wilderness setting, no magma.

Well I really enjoyed it but after the early game it got increasingly easier and boring (I am not much of a simcity type of person). I stopped after having ~125 dwarves and seemingly impenetrable defenses. So now I want to make the game harder and losing a real possibility. How to go about this? I was thinking about

1) Starting in a savage glacier or desert environment
2) Reducing trap effectiveness. How can I achieve this? I could just limit myself to stonefall traps. But is there any way to keep using cage and weapon traps without them being so overpowered?
3) Reducing effectiveness of marksmen. What is the best way? Just set ammo DAMAGE to 1/3? Is there any way to reduce the rate of fire?
4) Make food procurement a real challenge. I was planning to stop using plump helmets. Combined with desert/glacier environment, is this enough or do you have some other suggestions?
5) Is there any way to mod drawbridges so that they are penetrable for powerful enemies?
6) What is a good way way to make the dwarves generally less patient and ecstatic? In the wiki I saw PERSONALITY:DEPRESSION and PERSONALITY:CHEERFULNESS but I am unsure what are good values?
7) Also any suggestions for more aggressive monsters are welcome. Orc mod seems to be popular so will try that. What else?

Ideally in the end the game should be challenging not only in the early stage, but also mid and later game.

Any suggestions would be very helpful .. thanks!
Marc

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: First-time DF game too easy - how to tweak?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 09:36:09 am »

1) I imagine a glacier would be the harder of the two.  A desert still has cacti for wood, and sand for glass.  Although it is still harder than typical wilderness due to scarcity of water.

2) You can modify the trap components themselves in the raws(raw/objects/item_trapcomp.txt) to be weaker but you can't do the same with cage traps.  Weapon traps not using the specialty trap components will also be unaffected.

3) Bolt damage to 1/3 is best.  Some also set the damage type to bludgeon.  Nothing can be done about the rate of fire.  Without limiting yourself to bone or wood crossbows, and that just means they become rapidfire slower.

4) I play a custom race that has the [CARNIVORE] tag.  Plants won't feed the fortress.  You could just add the tag to dwarves or you could modify plants like plump helmets to grow slower or need to be processed before eaten.

5) creatures with buildingdestroyer can already destroy raised bridges.  They just aren't particularly common.  As for preventing atom smashing I think a large size prevents that.  Nothing you can really do about bridges.

6) Anger also seems to do well with my guys.  But it is difficult to tell when nothing goes wrong. For depression  high values should work 20:70:100 should be plenty of emo without being too crazy.  For cheerfulness lower values should do. 0:30:80.  With those you should have a bunch of dwarves who wear black and whine about death all the time, with the occasional sane dwarf.

7) I can't really help ya much there.  What I've done is to make new creatures that are near megabeast power that wander the world as normal wildlife.  You could do the same, or look through some public mods for creatures like that.

That's all I can think of, may add more in an edit if it comes to me.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Arathanar

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: mind-boggling awesomeness]
    • View Profile
Urist, you can't go there! The ground is PURPLE!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 06:18:52 pm »

The Age of Heroes mod sounds pretty cool, and though I haven't personally tried it, a lot of people complimented it.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 09:13:49 pm »

Give Dwarfs [SLOW_LEARNER] and Legendary skills will become a rarity, the economy won't boom effortlessly and a you'll be finding you have to make compromises left and right and all kinds of things.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009, 11:25:44 pm »

evil freezing biomes combined with aquifers will have you pulling your hair out =)

Also: mega-projects, such as undersea/magma fortresses or start with 1 pick and nothing else fortresses are great challenges and time wasters.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 04:11:16 am »

Try just the Orc mod to begin with; those bastards with their annoying trap immunity will sodomise you quite efficiently the first few times.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 06:18:19 am »

Lol dammit, failed to notice that this was put in the Modding thread. I suppose it's a bit of a derail now :P

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 06:23:38 am by Muz »
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.