Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ice based megaprojects  (Read 1361 times)

Hishan

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALCOHOL_DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
Ice based megaprojects
« on: May 17, 2009, 07:10:05 am »

Its been too long putting it off, Im finally going to embark in the hardest location, terrifying, magmaless, aquifierless, glacier. But theres no fun in just surviving! What can I be doing to occupy my time in the frozen wastes?

Some ideas Ive had
1)Polar bear breeding/stables
2)Ice fortress
3)Ice ampitheatre/arena

Needless to say, as much fort as possible will be in the ice layers

All feedback welcome!

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
Re: Ice based megaprojects
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 07:15:27 am »

Make sure your civ's leader is a Queen, build an aboveground Ice Fortress; oppress the surrounding countryside.

For added kicks, build little igloos for captured elves\goblins and trap them inside, occasionally dropping food and water in to keep them alive.

Hishan

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALCOHOL_DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 08:00:17 am »

Good idea, Im looking for a site now but having some difficulties finding worlds with suitable evil glaciers

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 08:12:48 am »

I have exactly the world gen you're looking for;

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This will generate plenty of evil glaciers.

Enjoy.

Hishan

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALCOHOL_DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 08:25:47 am »

Thats a terrible worldgen, I had to nullify almost everything to get it to work, then It gave me a horribly broken and messy world with near no civs and only one evil glacier

Village_Idiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 09:07:49 am »

Does anyone have a glacier (alignment doesn't matter) with a surface vulcano/magma pipe?

Hishan

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALCOHOL_DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009, 09:38:14 am »

Stop hijacking my thread!

I have found a site now, so worldgens not needed, any more ideas for megaprojects?

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2009, 12:16:26 pm »

Build a fortress of solitude to visit with adventurers later.  Use red and yellow stone to make a giant S logo.  Store all of your artifacts inside (even though, from my understanding, they won't stay if you visit as an adventurer).  Make a complex series of supports that collapse the fortress into the glacier at the pull of a lever.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2009, 02:31:46 pm »

EDIT:
Fixed
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 03:12:32 pm by Itnetlolor »

GenericOverusedName

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2009, 02:50:59 pm »

Eww, aquiferless? Not much water to freeze there!

I thought you meant 'casting' most of your fort out of ice. I'm in the midst of attempting this now... on a terrifying taiga/tundra! I kind of wish I had a plan, though. Also, 2x2 maps are awful tiny. Never really realized that until now.

Hishan

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALCOHOL_DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2009, 02:56:51 pm »

@Itnetlolor, I did say in OP that I specifically NOT USING MAGMA, and that would not work even if I did, it would end up in a mess of obsidian, since the magma would melt it on contact, leaving a huge hole in the ground down to the rock layer, and even if it did work, its NOT a megaproject, its a one shot firework. You obviously not read neither my post, nor considered anything other than ICE + MAGMA = LOL

@ GenericOverusedName, you have not read my OP either, I quite definately say I was on a glacier, and your fort is not relevant, its on a tiaga, meaning you will have soil and trees, making it much less of a challenge.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2009, 03:02:46 pm »

Sorry about that. I read too quickly. :nervous laugh: ;D

Mid-page reminder (for others like me that tend to accidentally do this):
Its been too long putting it off, Im finally going to embark in the hardest location, terrifying, magmaless, aquifierless, glacier. But theres no fun in just surviving! What can I be doing to occupy my time in the frozen wastes?

PS- I was just imagining if ice walls were immune to magma and so forth... well, you know. Like I said in my edit, as well as you pointed out, bad idea. I was just coming up with experiments. Those usually pass up time.

Idea: You can always build a statue of a Yeti. :shrug: Or a giant thermometer measuring just how cold it is there.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 03:19:46 pm by Itnetlolor »

Hishan

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALCOHOL_DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2009, 01:24:12 am »

Giant ice sculptures are going to be in :D

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2009, 03:46:33 am »

Thats a terrible worldgen, I had to nullify almost everything to get it to work, then It gave me a horribly broken and messy world with near no civs and only one evil glacier

Really? odd. I've generated dozens of worlds that are 1/3rd to 1/2 tundra and glacier, and largely evil.

You do need to tell it to shut up and generate the world anyway when it complains after 500 errors though, i should probably go back and fix it up so it doesn't throw those errors.

--EDIT--

Here; try this one. I've run it a couple of times and i'm seeng alot of evil glaciers. No errors either since i used weights to set the temp\drainage etc rather than changing the minimum.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That should work better for you; it will take awhile to init and gen though, leave it be and it'll pull through just fine.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 04:04:49 am by Neruz »

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2009, 06:09:21 am »

I have several notes for you regarding ice fortresses.

1. Generating large worlds greatly increases the variety of terrain. You'll get plenty of tundras and glaciers, many of which will be evil.

2. You can make natural ice walls using pond designations and bucket brigades.

3. Collapsing ice will turn it into water. If it's underground, it won't freeze back into ice.

4. You can use 2 with 3 to make an infinite amount of water, if you're creative. I think.

5. Mechanics will freeze above ground. So much for using windmills to power any pumps you have.

As a first order of business, I recommend you investigate avenues of creating infinite amounts of water.

Aside from that, good luck. You're a far braver dwarf than I to challenge yourself so.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.
Pages: [1] 2