Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Cinnabar blocks?  (Read 2552 times)

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cinnabar blocks?
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2009, 03:01:20 am »

Sure enough, it does say it on the wiki:

http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Maximizing_framerate
the only mention of reveal i see is that it can be used to speed up the game. it can cause problems when revealing features such as magma and underground rivers because then proper flags will not be set but that's it i believe. nothing to do with economic stone.

Um:

I used Reveal; the wiki said it helps to make DF run faster...

Could you say where in the wiki? This is, to use the technical term, a flat out lie.

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2009, 08:41:14 pm »

Brilliant, locking my mason in worked. Now to make sure he doesn't get annoyed... (He's legendary. Who's superdwarvenly tough and stuff. Him angry=Fun)

On another note, does Reveal in fact make DF run any faster?
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2009, 09:21:37 pm »

On another note, does Reveal in fact make DF run any faster?

I'm reasonably certain it doesn't, and I'd hypothesize it runs marginally slower.

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2009, 09:28:19 pm »

Depends who you ask. Some claim it runs faster, some claim it runs slower.
Since pathfinding and water-physics are calculated whether you see them or not, my bet is that it makes no difference at all.
So there's that, as well. It looks like the only chronic problems that water can't cure are nausea and cave spider bites.
Which, coincidentally enough, can be cured by magma.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2009, 10:57:54 pm »

It's known for a fact that it can corrupt some features in a map/game.

I'd still like to know where this was found in the wiki, if only to put an "alternative" viewpoint in.  8)

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2009, 11:05:44 pm »

It's known for a fact that it can corrupt some features in a map/game.

I'd still like to know where this was found in the wiki, if only to put an "alternative" viewpoint in.  8)

I linked directly to the page earlier. Its only one sentence. Search for 'reveal'.

My suspicion is that it negatively impacts performance since DF seems to load only some parts of the map until they are revealed. Now, the process of loading those segments might incur a slight delay, but maintaining the entire map in memory all the time can't be helping matters.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2009, 11:28:29 pm »

I linked directly to the page earlier. Its only one sentence. Search for 'reveal'.

Got it, my bad.

Here's the full comment:

Cheating

* Fully revealed areas are faster than hidden ones. Running reveal.exe will make the game faster.
http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Maximizing_framerate

Nothing more.  That sentence was included in the original article post, Nov 2007.  I have to wonder if it's still relevant or true.  And what support the original poster (one "Zaratustra") had for including it.

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2009, 11:49:33 pm »

As for cinnabar being an economic stone:

Mike Mayday's tileset WILL make it an economic stone, and unusable for use unless enabled.
Pages: 1 [2]