Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Cinnabar blocks?  (Read 2549 times)

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
Cinnabar blocks?
« on: May 17, 2009, 05:12:31 am »

Quick question: Can cinnabar be turned into blocks to make roads with? I want a red coloured road. (Don't ask.) Or do I have to make the road out of raw cinnabar?

The reason I asked is that I set up a cinnabar stockpile very near to a mason's workshop, but the silly mason charges 100+ tiles awya to grab limestone and obsidian. Grrr.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 05:18:45 am by Firnagzen »
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

Teferi

• Bay Watcher
  • Planeswalker
    • View Profile
Re: Cinnabar blocks?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 05:42:12 am »

unsure, perhaps locking him in there withe the stone might help (that way he won't go a long way). you could also head to the stone menu in the status screen and tell them that you don't want them to use those stones for that purpose.
I think it'd be better to just throw him in a pit.
By pit I mean "ledge designated as pit some 30 levels above the ground water magma" and that would,as they say be the end of that.
Unless a sword/axedwarf gets to 'em.. then it's rhesus pieces...

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 05:43:07 am »

I believe flooding with magma changes (or used to change) blocks into stones.

Teferi

• Bay Watcher
  • Planeswalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 05:47:36 am »

I just thought of some thing, how close is the cinnabar stockpile to the mason shop? also, is the obsidian and limestone on a z-level directly below the mason shop? masons and stonecrafters have an annoying habit of going in a cube to gather stone.
I think it'd be better to just throw him in a pit.
By pit I mean "ledge designated as pit some 30 levels above the ground water magma" and that would,as they say be the end of that.
Unless a sword/axedwarf gets to 'em.. then it's rhesus pieces...

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 06:47:46 am »

The stockpile is right NEXT to the mason's workshop. The limestone and obsidian are on the same z-level, about a hundred steps away.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

Wahad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 06:57:56 am »

Make sure you have Cinnabar enabled in the economic stone list.

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009, 07:50:26 am »

Hm, it's not on the list. I suspect this is because I used Reveal; the wiki said it helps to make DF run faster... Is there any fix to this?

That Zero Guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2009, 08:30:52 am »

Yes, you can use it. But you'd be better off making an island out of it, really.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2009, 10:49:57 am »

Cinnabar isn't on the economic stone list because it's not an economic stone. Only metal ores, flux, and obsidian should be there, unless you used a mod to put them there, which you apparently haven't. Reveal has nothing to do with this.

Lock the mason in a room with a masonry and a cinnabar stockpile, that should work.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2009, 08:52:09 pm »

Right.

Time for a red road. A blood saturated red brick road with floor grates in the ceiling and gobbo mincers above.

As the king's throne room.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2009, 11:53:31 pm »

I think it's too late to change, but any time you want to do something like this that involves a specific kind of stone, start out with the economic stone mod so you can turn on/off any kind of stone.

In the meantime, go into your stocks screen and mass forbid every kind of stone except cinnabar.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2009, 12:36:02 am »

If you felt like getting a new tile set. The mike maydays tile set has it setup so you can mark ANY stone as usable or not.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2009, 01:36:40 am »

I used Reveal; the wiki said it helps to make DF run faster...

Could you say where in the wiki? This is, to use the technical term, a flat out lie.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2009, 01:49:36 am »

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2009, 02:15:50 am »

Sure enough, it does say it on the wiki:

http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Maximizing_framerate
the only mention of reveal i see is that it can be used to speed up the game. it can cause problems when revealing features such as magma and underground rivers because then proper flags will not be set but that's it i believe. nothing to do with economic stone.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?
Pages: [1] 2