Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Neat map, need ideas.  (Read 797 times)

LostEnder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Neat map, need ideas.
« on: May 17, 2009, 02:03:46 am »

So, I have a bit of an odd problem...  I just embarked on a new map for the dark dwarves mod, and all is well. Its a steep sided U shaped valley.  At the base of the U is the magma pipe, which is equal to the "ground" level but actually buried under a whole damn mountain, like 6-8 Zs worth.

Now, I also have a cave river, but this is the odd part. The cave river starts a couple Zs above the pipe level, and almost directly above the top of the pipe.  Clearly, there is potential for fun to be had.

Now add the fact that its a freezing map, and we're cooking with magma.

I'm looking for ideas that would do justice to such potential.  My initial impulse was for a obsidian trap, but I'm going to need the iron and other parts from invaders.  The second thought was to use the magma to heat the water until I dump it on the elves. Outside. But I'm not sure if their stuff would defrost or what. Is it possible to pressurize the water enough to shoot a chunk of ice out, or maybe drop it on them like a cave in?

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Neat map, need ideas.
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 02:18:42 am »

Use the magma and water to pour an obsidian dam at the end of the valley, fill the valley with water, freeze it, carve an ice fortress with a magma reservoir over the top as a doomsday switch. It's like 9 megaprojects in one.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 02:39:47 am »

What he said.

Use a bucket brigade for the ice fortress. Pumping magma might be difficult considering that mechanics constructions like pumps and windmills freeze when exposed to open air.

And about freezing elves: no items are damaged when you freeze a creature. Just dig them out and retrieve the junk.

And about water: water will freeze when exposed to the outside in a freezing biome. Without exception. Except when warmed by magma. This will make pumping water a considerably more difficult task than in fortresses with warmer climates.

No matter what you do, you'll have fun.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 03:34:57 am »

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 10:35:55 am »

Make a giant pot and boil some elves and etc. in it.

Mmm, mm, good eating there. Elven soup.

You can also make a semi-natural waterfall-style ice wall. That would be an awesome sight.

Da King

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 10:51:57 am »

I have a similar situation, except the valley has straight cliffs for sides and there isn't any magma. I'm working on creating a 7 z-level high dam right now, and then letting winter freeze this into a giant block of ice, which I will carve my fortress out of. Problem is, how do I keep my fortress from melting in the spring?

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009, 11:02:48 am »

I have a similar situation, except the valley has straight cliffs for sides and there isn't any magma. I'm working on creating a 7 z-level high dam right now, and then letting winter freeze this into a giant block of ice, which I will carve my fortress out of. Problem is, how do I keep my fortress from melting in the spring?

Turn off temperature in init during winter, if you don't mind taking the cheap way out.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2009, 03:59:19 pm »

Or you could make a different ice sculpture each winter before the thaw.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2009, 04:00:25 pm »

You could make an ice tower, put someone at the top, then watch it melt.