Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Eurovision  (Read 3098 times)

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
Eurovision
« on: May 16, 2009, 05:26:13 pm »

I've often been surprised because it seems nobody ever discusses this competition on the internet outside of especial Eurovision sites.

So. Iceland getting second place was very nice. I expected something lower, albeit still on the left row. I also expected Norway to win, but not by this hueg margin. Seriously. They were the first country to ever break the 300-point cap, besting Finland's 292 points from Athens a few years ago.

Among other things, I was surprised at how many crappy songs there were this year. A lot of the singer's couldn't even sing in tune with the song, but at least those were all dropped in the preliminaries. And the four countries that had immunity at least had the decency to send in decent songs, although I don't think the UK should've gotten that many points.

So yeah. Anybody wanna discuss Eurovision, or is it way less popular in the rest of Europe? I mean, it's not like the entire internet is American.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Eurovision
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 05:48:14 pm »

Norway was going apeshit, you should have heard the commentary.  Bit interesting though, since it means they'll be hosting the next one for the fiftieth anniversary of something-or-other.

Personally, I really don't think Turkey should have gotten that many points.  There were quite a few lame songs, and I happen to think that they had one of them...  I would much rather those points go to Estonia or Denmark (even though the Danish singer was a teensy bit annoying, as far as his performance was concerned.  The singing was fine, the camera whoring wasn't).

Shame that Estonia didn't get more points.  I think they had a really nice deal going there, and without all the pointless backup dancers who don't do anything song-related (Germany was just pathetic in this regard.  I mean no offense to Deutschlanders, but honestly...  Dita von Teese?).

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 06:31:11 pm »

I voted for Iceland, and this is the first year I've actually bothered sending in a vote ever. She's cute and had a nice song unlike most of the rest.

My second choice was Estonia who I thought had the only really interesting tune out of all the contestants. Unfortunately for them, they broke the eurosong mantra of "if it isn't ridiculously over the top it isn't eurosong" and were punished for it.

The swedish song was just terrible. The only good thing about it was that it reminded me of the opera scene in The Fifth Element, which is a good movie.

Our guy (I'm norwegian, yay) had everything going for him though. Nice, folksy tune that will not leave your brain even if you hate it, is 2nd generation russian immigrant or something which means very important brownie points from all of eastern europe, and I think a majority of the viewers are women. I mean, I'm a straight guy and even I think he's cute and fluffy.

Norway was going apeshit, you should have heard the commentary.  Bit interesting though, since it means they'll be hosting the next one for the fiftieth anniversary of something-or-other.

Personally, I really don't think Turkey should have gotten that many points.  There were quite a few lame songs, and I happen to think that they had one of them...  I would much rather those points go to Estonia or Denmark (even though the Danish singer was a teensy bit annoying, as far as his performance was concerned.  The singing was fine, the camera whoring wasn't).

Shame that Estonia didn't get more points.  I think they had a really nice deal going there, and without all the pointless backup dancers who don't do anything song-related (Germany was just pathetic in this regard.  I mean no offense to Deutschlanders, but honestly...  Dita von Teese?).

The norwegian commenter was ghastly. I muted the TV everytime she said anything, it was just embarrasing. I think she must have been tipsy from the champagne. She always is. I wish they'd bring back the guy they used to have on, he was the only reason to watch the show thanks to his hilariously cynical and sarcastic comments.

Anyway, if I heard correctly, the "fifthieth anniversary" she mentioned is the anniversary of the first norwegian entry in the eurosong contest. Narcissistic? yes.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 06:43:54 am by olemars »

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 06:21:38 am »

I miss Terry Wogan complaining about how the UK managed to surpass themselves in crapness every year.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 06:43:29 am »

UK wasn't that bad yesterday, better than the pub-singer last year. Pretty unremarkable though.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 01:40:56 pm »

So yeah. Anybody wanna discuss Eurovision, or is it way less popular in the rest of Europe? I mean, it's not like the entire internet is American.

I never watch it to be honest...I am not sure why. I've seen some music clips from the Eurovision competitions in the last couple of years, but I didn't liked them.  :-\

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009, 05:05:08 pm »

My goodness, how bad was the russian Act, kudos on the aging women in the background... but fuck me what a shit song.

Orange Drink

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 12:34:11 am »

The only reason Norway won was because the 12 year old girls all over Europe loved him because he looks a tiny bit like Zac Efron. The only decent part of Norway's performance was the three guys on the floor in overalls doing jumping push-ups.

My goodness, how bad was the russian Act, kudos on the aging women in the background... but fuck me what a shit song.

I looked to me like the singer was taking a shower and realized that her performance was on next, and had to wear the shower curtain as a dress.

I miss Terry Wogan complaining about how the UK managed to surpass themselves in crapness every year.

I miss Terry Wogan as well. He was the only reason I ever watched Eurovision in the first place.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 12:41:10 am »

Yeah, the russian song was awful. As controversial as the last year's winning song was, at least you didn't have to force yourself to listen to it.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 12:44:03 am »

the three guys on the floor in overalls doing jumping push-ups

I saw like 30 seconds of that. It was crazy.

If I ever become a world renowned surgeon/pilot/microbiologist/writer/geneticist, I'll move to Europe and decide where to live based on who's song has the coolest dancing in Eurovision.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2009, 04:16:55 pm »

Eh, I think the winner shoulda been either serbia with the fat guy with the glasses and the ginger afro singing about curly-toed shoes, or the somewhere-in-eastern-europe country swearing about traffic. (I recognised about five words in the song, and they were all polish swearwords.)

But, frankly, they were all pretty much shite. But at least our entry was better than last year's fucking (not literally) flight attendants, the black guy no european would vote for, or the pedo-licious schoolgirls.

Bring back Lordi, I say. Eurovision needs moar metal.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2009, 04:38:04 pm »

I would vote for "Rammstein" or "In Extremo" for the next Grand Prix as acts for Germany. Seriously the entire thing gets somehow worser from year to year and i am ashamed that we Germans dont seem to have any decent Musicans for such events.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2009, 06:47:06 pm »

I think it's just that the pain fades in time of the next final rather than the contest getting worse each year. It's always been pretty horrible, which is what gives the whole show its charm in my eyes. Take Greece for example, last year they sent a britney spears impersonator who literally moved from the US to Greece to corner the loli schoolgirl singer market. And I think the only time Israel has won was with a post-op transsexual.

It's no coincidence that very few of the contestants have a successful singing career after eurosong (unless they already had one to start with).

Fishersalwaysdie

• Bay Watcher
  • Slayer of Threads
    • View Profile
    • http://chupacabra
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2009, 05:45:31 pm »

Eh, I think the winner shoulda been either serbia with the fat guy with the glasses and the ginger afro singing about curly-toed shoes, or the somewhere-in-eastern-europe country swearing about traffic. (I recognised about five words in the song, and they were all polish swearwords.)

But, frankly, they were all pretty much shite. But at least our entry was better than last year's fucking (not literally) flight attendants, the black guy no european would vote for, or the pedo-licious schoolgirls.

Bring back Lordi, I say. Eurovision needs moar metal.
Damn we're getting worse every year, the fat chick at least had a good voice, the fat bastard couldn't really sing shit.
We would probably get points for shock value were we to send something like this.
Metal is already too mainstreem, so we could export it all to Eurovision, some moments are gay enough for it anyways.
Cannot find self-destruction button, could have sworn it's somewhere here...

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2009, 08:15:12 am »

And I think the only time Israel has won was with a post-op transsexual.

Incorrect. If my memory serves me, Israel has 3 first places and 1 3rd place. A few 2nd places too, but I'm not sure.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!