Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Dwarf: The Hammering  (Read 3696 times)

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf: The Hammering
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2009, 04:18:29 pm »

I'm thinking the "Event Deck" could be cards accessed by tapping "miners," and "legendary miners" would allow you to turn two cards in a turn. It'd actually be three decks, shuffled separately. The "Shallow" deck would be what you'd turn over at first, and would contain things such as "farmable soil," "valuable ore," or "aquifer," where the aquifer prevents you from turning any further cards until you breach it somehow. The middle area would contain ore and gem cards along with special areas. The deep area would be what you'd deal from after a certain number of digging operations, and would contain the most valuable events and ores and even adamantine... but it would also carry the risk of Hidden Fun Stuff, which forces a very difficult combat against all players...
This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2009, 04:26:00 pm »

I'm thinking the "Event Deck" could be cards accessed by tapping "miners," and "legendary miners" would allow you to turn two cards in a turn. It'd actually be three decks, shuffled separately. The "Shallow" deck would be what you'd turn over at first, and would contain things such as "farmable soil," "valuable ore," or "aquifer," where the aquifer prevents you from turning any further cards until you breach it somehow. The middle area would contain ore and gem cards along with special areas. The deep area would be what you'd deal from after a certain number of digging operations, and would contain the most valuable events and ores and even adamantine... but it would also carry the risk of Hidden Fun Stuff, which forces a very difficult combat against all players...
Yes.

This game is what I had in mind, but then got bogged down.

Urist McDetective

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2009, 07:39:43 pm »

Multiple decks sounds less like M:tg & more like Legend of the Five Rings. Anyone heard of it?
I like the idea of seperating decks into depths, though.
Rather than giving complete access to the deep deck, I'd consider making the cards a bit better (excluding HFS) & always cost to draw from it.
WELCOME TO FUCKING BAY12!
 - not only do they have the weapons, they also have the Fortresses -
I have noticed a rather mixed reaction with microcline, but what do people think of olivine?
Oh I love olivine.  I think dark green furniture makes the fortress tasteful.
Wait, what?

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2009, 04:53:14 am »

We need a card titled mega project that requires alot of resources and makes you vulnerable for a time but gives you an immense bonus if complete.

Thinking of something: 30 or so resource cost that can be paid over multiple turns but makes your fortress take double damage until it's completed(due to neglect of everything that isn't dedicated to the construction) and when it's done it gives a bonus depending what you used most and what biome.

For this example i assume 4 biomes(mountain, ocean, flat land, river)
-Catocalypse(food-flat land) When your fortress is attacked you may tap X food which sics a 1/1 feline creature on a chosen attacker instead for each food tapped.
-Deforestation(wood-flat land) All further wood costs are nullified.
-Citadel(stone-flat land) Your fort gains all defensive benefits of being on a mountain.
-Trap Fields(metal-flat land) Builds a crapload of traps, giving you some form of attack against siegers.
-Whaling facility(food-ocean) All further food costs are nullified.
-Boats(wood-ocean) Your fleet may set sail, making you impervious to everything that can't swim or fly but reduces your food stockpile by X(number of units on board) each turn.
-Obsidian Expanse(stone-ocean) Penalties for being on a 90% water map no longer apply.
-Dwarven Atlantikwall(metal-ocean) Massive defensive bonus against seaborne attackers.
-Legendary Carp Swimmers(food-river) All your seaborne units get a +1/+1 token every turn up till a maximum equal to your food supply.
-Hydro power plant(wood-river) All mechanism cards get a huge boost in power.
-Open Quarry(stone-river) All further stone costs are nullified.
-Delta Works(metal-river) Gains the defensive bonuses of being on an ocean.
-Stockpile(food-mountain) You gain immunity to cards that would harm your resource store.
-Tower Caps(wood-mountain) Gains the economic bonus of being on flat land)
-Kinetic Projectile Trap(stone-mountain) Creates a superweapon that instantly vaporizes any attacker present at the cost of a large ammount of labor(food?).
-Strip Mining(metal-mountain) All further metal costs are nullified.

Now how do we fit that on a 2x3 inch card along with a picture of Copperblazes/Nist Akath/Flarechannel?
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2009, 07:42:32 am »

We need a card titled mega project that requires alot of resources and makes you vulnerable for a time but gives you an immense bonus if complete.

Thinking of something: 30 or so resource cost that can be paid over multiple turns but makes your fortress take double damage until it's completed(due to neglect of everything that isn't dedicated to the construction) and when it's done it gives a bonus depending what you used most and what biome.

For this example i assume 4 biomes(mountain, ocean, flat land, river)
-Catocalypse(food-flat land) When your fortress is attacked you may tap X food which sics a 1/1 feline creature on a chosen attacker instead for each food tapped.
-Deforestation(wood-flat land) All further wood costs are nullified.
-Citadel(stone-flat land) Your fort gains all defensive benefits of being on a mountain.
-Trap Fields(metal-flat land) Builds a crapload of traps, giving you some form of attack against siegers.
-Whaling facility(food-ocean) All further food costs are nullified.
-Boats(wood-ocean) Your fleet may set sail, making you impervious to everything that can't swim or fly but reduces your food stockpile by X(number of units on board) each turn.
-Obsidian Expanse(stone-ocean) Penalties for being on a 90% water map no longer apply.
-Dwarven Atlantikwall(metal-ocean) Massive defensive bonus against seaborne attackers.
-Legendary Carp Swimmers(food-river) All your seaborne units get a +1/+1 token every turn up till a maximum equal to your food supply.
-Hydro power plant(wood-river) All mechanism cards get a huge boost in power.
-Open Quarry(stone-river) All further stone costs are nullified.
-Delta Works(metal-river) Gains the defensive bonuses of being on an ocean.
-Stockpile(food-mountain) You gain immunity to cards that would harm your resource store.
-Tower Caps(wood-mountain) Gains the economic bonus of being on flat land)
-Kinetic Projectile Trap(stone-mountain) Creates a superweapon that instantly vaporizes any attacker present at the cost of a large ammount of labor(food?).
-Strip Mining(metal-mountain) All further metal costs are nullified.
Sounds good, how do you decide on which of the biomes you have in play the fort stands? some of that stuff would need to fort to be there, instead of the biome just being in play. maybe you pick a combination of up to 3 biomes to place your fort on? like mountain/brook/forest or forest/ocean/wasteland
Maybe even special combinations you have to sacrifice one biome for to use? like (biome)/ocean/{island-invulnerable to attacks including only units that cannot pass water.} (Including a flying unit in the attack allows you to take land stuff.)

Also,
Now how do we fit that on a 2x3 inch card along with a picture of Copperblazes/Nist Akath/Flarechannel?
You horrible heritic, you forgot boatmurdered. The Flarechannel wall would be a megaproject making you invulnerable to all attacks from everything except underground, air, and events. As for representing them, just use a picture asocated with it, like the dwarf on the hill at the end of boatmurdered, or a littering of elk bones covering the approach to a gate on a hill covered in balista slits for Nist Akath.
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2009, 11:12:29 am »

That would make the game vastly overcomplicated, i think biomes should be something like general themes for your deck to be declared at the start of the game. each with their benefits and drawbacks.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2009, 03:54:48 pm »

Lawl.  Silly people and their pictures.  This is Dwarf Fortress, it's all in your head.  (Alternatively I could just tell you I have not an artistic bone in my body, and so the card stats will delivered in the form of a .dfc file, which is just .txt with a different file extension for the sake of making Notepad++ use the custom language file with it automatically.)  If people want to make ASCII art or something for them, they're quite welcome to.  It's just I'm already over 100 cards in the first set...
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 04:36:06 pm by Taritus »

Sharpshot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2009, 08:31:27 pm »

I'm really busy at the moment, but after this month ends I will try my hand at drawing this.
I really hope a list of all the cards and a rule manual of some kind is made by then.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2009, 09:46:47 pm »

Lawl.  Silly people and their pictures.  This is Dwarf Fortress, it's all in your head.  (Alternatively I could just tell you I have not an artistic bone in my body, and so the card stats will delivered in the form of a .dfc file, which is just .txt with a different file extension for the sake of making Notepad++ use the custom language file with it automatically.)  If people want to make ASCII art or something for them, they're quite welcome to.  It's just I'm already over 100 cards in the first set...

I know you're not done yet, but do you mind PM'ing/posting what you have so far? I'm very interested and would love to see how far you've come. If anybody wants to playtest, I'm up for it.

As for art, I guess we could just use ASCII art, colored with default DF art and colors. Or if anybody has the crayon drawings by Toady, we could try those. Of course, there are websites filled with high-quality fantasy art, but I would rather use small ASCII art pictures, myself. I think they would look okay at card size as long as you don't zoom out to far.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2009, 09:57:10 am »

Actuall,y acton shots would be better, just a large purple soldierdwarf character for an axedwarf is'nt as good as one surrounded by flying enemies, pools od blood, and severed body parts.

I know you're not done yet, but do you mind PM'ing/posting what you have so far? I'm very interested and would love to see how far you've come. If anybody wants to playtest, I'm up for it.

As for art, I guess we could just use ASCII art, colored with default DF art and colors. Or if anybody has the crayon drawings by Toady, we could try those. Of course, there are websites filled with high-quality fantasy art, but I would rather use small ASCII art pictures, myself. I think they would look okay at card size as long as you don't zoom out to far.
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2009, 02:41:21 pm »

It ought to be in a playable form right now...  I've got most of the items finished, as I doubt I'll have many...  Just need to finish the constructions, there shouldn't be many of them either, maybe 15 or so.

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2009, 02:42:31 pm »

I can do ugly little illustrations if you want.

Omnidum

• Bay Watcher
  • Blahblahblahblahblahblahblah.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2009, 12:12:42 pm »

I shall be watching this with interest. I would also love to playtest it.
this topic is about guys punching themselves in the balls, and nothing else

JeebusSez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2009, 12:46:04 pm »

Quick suggestion:

If you fit each card layout onto a 3.5x2 square, you can easily mass-print these at home on those business-card blanks you can buy at office supply stores. I can help with layout and PDF authoring if you need it.

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2009, 03:36:37 pm »

Well, you people really are taking this far.  The plan was to just start a few threads over in the Forum Games board and run it there...

Also, the first set of cards, Siegetowns: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1036
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 06:08:21 am by Taritus »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4