Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Dwarf: The Hammering  (Read 3694 times)

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf: The Hammering
« on: May 16, 2009, 05:07:15 pm »

This 'ere be a discussion about an idea gathered from the Dwarftego thread, now named Dwarf: The Hammering because of it's similarity to Magic: The Gathering.  Here's the main overview of the game, quoted directly from the previous topic.

I have a good number of a set of cards worked out... So far, the game is played similarly to Magic.

You have resource pile, in which you have food, wood, metal, and stone.  You also have fortress strength.  When you run out of fortress strength you lose.  You start with 10 fortress strength points and certain cards can increase that, while being attacked and allowing attacks through you defenses lowers it.  In your resource pile you start with 10 food, and 5 of wood, metal, and stone and unlike in M:TG where your resource pile is your mana pool, having resources left over doesn't hurt you as your supplies build up and stay with you throughout the game unless you use them to pay a resource cost for a creature or event card.  There are also biome cards, which are not like M:TG's land cards, and instead they allow you to play certain creatures. For example, if you wanted to play a [Carp] you would need to have a river biome in play.  Also there are artifacts which do operate in a very similar style to M:TG's artifacts, being on the field, but not being creatures, and having certain abilities like creatures.

So, that's the basic concept...  I've got a little example card here:
Code: [Select]
/ [Dwarven Planter] <--Name
(f) <-- Resource Cost
{Dwarf} <--Typing
(X) : Target player draws a card. <--Effect
1/1 \ <--Strength/Toughness
Resource costs are listed as (f) for food, (m) for metal, (w) for wood, (s) for stone.  Sometimes you'll see (w/s): that means you can pay that cost by paying either wood or stone.  Often there will be a number, like x2, after a cost: that is how many of that you must pay.  When you must pay a mixed cost like (w/s) and pay multiples, you can only pay one or the other, not both.  When you pay a resource cost, those resources are removed from your resource pile.  In the instance of creature effects you may sometimes see other costs, like (X).  (X) is the tap symbol, meaning that creature uses it's action for the turn to use that effect.  If a creature's effect has some other cost, but does not include a (X) symbol, that effect may be used repeatedly, as long as you can pay the resource cost.

When you attack with a creature, they use their action for the turn.  Like in M:TG, you only declare attacks against an entity, while the defending entity chooses who defends. (More probably to come)

Continuing on from the little bit of combat mentioned at the end of the quote, whenever a creature defends against an attacking creature, it is tapped and takes damage equal to the attacking creature's strength.  Damage is applied to a creature's toughness and whenever a creature's toughness reaches 0 or below, they are sent to the crypt, or discard pile.

So, there are enough of the main mechanics of the game.  Some other things are as follows:

At the beginning of your turn you draw a card.  If at the end of your turn you have more than 6 cards in your hand you must discard until you have 6 cards in your hand.

You lose if you have no cards left in your deck or your fortress strength is reduced to zero.

Any questions, comments, or suggestions would be appreciated so as to aid in the fleshing out of a proper draft of rules.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf: The Hammering
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 05:50:12 pm »

I don't know the rules of Magic all that well, but I love making up cards for this sort of thing.

Should things like this be called a "Megaproject" instead?

/ [Iron Citadel]
     (m x5)
     {Artifact}
     As long as this card is in play, creatures that require a Metal resource gain +2 Toughness.

/ [Berserk Dwarf]
     (f x2)
     {Dwarf}
     At the end of your turn, your opponent gains control of this card.
     4/1

/ [Magma Flood]
     (m x5)
     {Event}
     If you do not have the 'Iron Citadel' Artifact in play, you lose 2 Fortress strength. Destroy the current Biome and all creatures associated with it. Both players lose the amount of resources used to play that Biome.

Buildings could act like creatures, but cannot be attacked, only be attacked and use their ability(s).

/ [Bridge-apult]
     (s x5/m x2)
     {Building}
     (X) : Tap an opponent's creature. That creature cannot use any abilites during your opponent's next turn. If Dwarven Mechanic is in play on your side of the field, tap another creature.
     0/2
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 05:56:32 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 05:50:50 pm »

THis is cool

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 06:02:05 pm »

Interesting idea.

You know how currently you have fortress strength which works like a fortresses health points and that you can raise them using certain cards. Would the kind of cards be constructions like walls and whatnot, or would walls be played like in MtG? I prefer the latter myself.

I had an idea myself that you might find interesting.

You could keep track of two counts, one being Fortress Population(FP) and another being Fortress Morale/Mood(FM). You'd start with 7 FP and can raise it with either migrant cards or birth cards. When drawn migrant cards would be played into the battle so the enemy can attack them for a turn before they get to your fortress and add to your FP then placed back in your deck. You loose FP when you play creature cards that recruit members of the population into the military or when you don't defend against besieging creatures attacks. You can gain FM by playing Legendary Dinning Room, Decorative Waterfall or Well cards which would cost you resources. You loose FM when you loose FP one per FP lost and when Soldiers die, different types of Soldiers would cause you to loose more FM than others so beloved Champions deaths might upset more than simple infantry deaths. A low FM could cause penalties for soldiers on the battlefield, stop/lower migration(?) and if it reached zero then expect your fortress to fall due to a tantrum spiral.

More on creature cards, not all creature cards would draw from your FP. Some creature cards could arrive like migrants do, a band of mercenaries could arrive and ask for resources in return for fighting for you, these wouldn't draw from your FP. If your going to add magical creatures and summoning then creatures summoned by your Dwarven Wizard would only cost resources.

More on construction cards, it might be worth considering if the besiegers can attack them and destroy them. I'd like to be able to play wall cards which would act like those in MtG but there is no reason why defensive constructions like this shouldn't increase FM. "Has admired the fine battlements lately.".

It would mean more elements of DF would be present in the game: migrants, moods, recruiting, legendary constructions etc. It also adds a potential penalty for playing certain powerful cards.

Another idea. I like the idea of event cards, cards which don't necessarily attack only one side but that can have interesting effects on games. There could be an events deck separate from the players decks which contains the event cards themselves and player decks would have to contain a certain number of event triggers which when drawn force the player to draw and play an event card. Events could include floods, megabeasts, HFS and moree. Each card would last so many turns and then get shuffled back into the events deck. Event trigger cards would need to go somewhere, back into the players deck most likely, on the bottom perhaps?

Again events would add more elements from DF into the card game which might be nice.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody's business but the Turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 06:04:25 pm »

Different sorts of resources costs need to be considered too.  Mainly I wonder how a Magma Forge would work - would it just nullify all wood costs for cards?  Because, see, I need a Magma Forge so that I can play, for free, the devastating "Green Glass Serrated Blades" card - otherwise it costs ridiculous amounts of wood to play enough of them.
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

"So kids, what story do you want me to read to you tonight?"
"Oooh!  Oooh!  Goldibeard and the The Rotting Corpses!"
~LegacyCWAL

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2009, 07:43:59 pm »

well, first off, you don't make glass with a forge ::). secondly, over complicated resource systems can make people give up.

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009, 09:43:54 am »

Well, so far, there are 3 cards that add to fortress strength, [Human Settler], [Dwarf Mason], and [Goblin Tower Builder].  So, it's kind of a measure of wall strength and of population.  I plan on having like a [Kobold Den-MOther] or something that can continuously raise fortress strength simply by being there, no need to tap it.

EDIT: @Constructions: After reading some of the other posts, I think I know a good way to get {Construction}'s to work, so I'll plan for them.
@Events: I'm thinking of keeping with M:tG's style of 'events' with their non-creature spells.  Just seems like it would be easier, and plus you have the whole, "Only your fortress has magma, so how can it flood both of our fortresses," thing...  But events are definitely in.  I just haven't gotten to statting them out yet.  Those are really open for suggestion.

EDIT2: Well, got all the creatures finished.  There are 89 of them.  Biomes are done, there are 5 of those.  Next is Events, then Items, and lastly Constructions.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 12:40:33 pm by Taritus »

Vilien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2009, 01:01:22 pm »

Dwarven Atom Smasher would win the game. Instantly.

Sharpshot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2009, 07:39:00 pm »

I would think that cards that are items or built would have a quality level depending on if certain creatures are in play, such as {Contraption} types have their effects boosted depending if a related creature has been in play long enough.
Example:
[Dwarven Ballistae]
(w) x5
{Contraption(Dwarven Sieger)}
(X) : Requires a {Dwarf} under your control. Pay (w/m) x2. Roll a die.
If 1-3, select that many creatures you control and reduce their toughness by 2*.
If 4-6, your opponent selects die # devided by 2 (rounded up) creatures he/she controls and reduces their toughness by 2*.
0/1
*: Dwarven Sieger effect applied here.
(I don't know the rules to Magic and I worded this effect horribly, but it is just an example. Please don't kill me if you can't use dice in Magic.)
This {Contraption} is related to the Dwarven Sieger (A Seiger is a Siege Operator/ Siege Engineer combined) and depending on how long the Dwarven Sieger has been in play, he could make a better Dwarven Ballistea. I would think the increase would be somewhere along the lines of multiplying the effect by 1.(Y), where (Y) is how many turns said creature has been in play, with a max of 10. So say if Dwarven Sieger has been in play for 4 turns, then Dwarven Ballistea has its effect multiplied by 1.4.

This kind of effect could be applied to anything that gains skill in DF but I think it would really work well with {Contraption} types atleast.
other things about contraptions.
All contraptions need a member of their race to be under the players control. (A Dwarven Catapult needs a Dwarf. A Human Catapult needs a Human. ect.)
All contraptions have a cost to use their effect.
All contraptions can be enhanced by a creature.
All contraptions cannot attack.

The only problems I see (I don't know the rules, so there could be ALOT more that this breaks that I simply don't know about) are that it can over complicate  the game, and/or that I'm not sure what contraptions other races would have. (What do goblins ever make???)

Just my 2 cents anyway. This looks really cool. I'm looking forward to seeing the end product.

Wahad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 06:53:43 am »

I think Magma should also be a resource card. To provide an ability for Magma forges (magma traps, possibly)

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 07:18:25 am »

Maybe the Arcomage system would be good for a DF themed card game?
The Endcat will end you and everything you love.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2009, 08:53:07 am »

We could use the Pokemon system. Easier by far.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2009, 10:12:14 am »

I've looked at far too many White Wolf products... Far, far too many.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2009, 02:26:01 pm »

Maybe the Arcomage system would be good for a DF themed card game?
What?

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2009, 02:36:53 pm »

quote author=Willfor link=topic=35748.msg559726#msg559726 date=1242659534]
What?
[/quote]

The thread title sounds more like a World of Darkness roleplaying game than Magic: The Gathering. It's what i first thought of too.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4