Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Embark Menu Mod  (Read 935 times)

Elswyyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Embark Menu Mod
« on: May 16, 2009, 11:03:43 am »

I remember reading about a mod to the embark screen, one that would show deposits of adamantite, magma pipes, mineral deposits etc. on the region screen during embark. Does anyone know the name of this mod?

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
Re: Embark Menu Mod
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 11:06:22 am »

The embark menu does this anyway. For adamantite etc., you need to turn it to ALWAYS in the init.txt

Elswyyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 11:11:28 am »

Where in the init file do you find that setting?

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 11:12:27 am »

Aye, it used to be that you needed to use a utility to do that, but "recently" the feature was put into the game itself.

ctrl-f "show_embark" to find the settings.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 11:12:53 am »

I remember reading about a mod to the embark screen, one that would show deposits of adamantite, magma pipes, mineral deposits etc. on the region screen during embark. Does anyone know the name of this mod?

This mod is no longer needed because now you can switch this feature on in the init file! Simply follow my easy-step guide:

1. Open the 'Dwarf Fortress' Folder.

2. Open the 'Data' folder.

3. Open the 'Init' folder.

4. Open the 'Init' file.

5. Scroll down to the part that reads:

[SHOW_EMBARK_RIVER:FINDER]
[SHOW_EMBARK_POOL:FINDER]
[SHOW_EMBARK_M_PIPE:FINDER]
[SHOW_EMBARK_M_POOL:FINDER]
[SHOW_EMBARK_CHASM:FINDER]
[SHOW_EMBARK_PIT:FINDER]
[SHOW_EMBARK_OTHER:FINDER]
[SHOW_EMBARK_TUNNEL:FINDER]

6. Replace this with:

[SHOW_EMBARK_RIVER:ALWAYS]
[SHOW_EMBARK_POOL:ALWAYS]
[SHOW_EMBARK_M_PIPE:ALWAYS]
[SHOW_EMBARK_M_POOL:ALWAYS]
[SHOW_EMBARK_CHASM:ALWAYS]
[SHOW_EMBARK_PIT:ALWAYS]
[SHOW_EMBARK_OTHER:ALWAYS]
[SHOW_EMBARK_TUNNEL:ALWAYS]

And there you have it!

Err... If you wouldn't mind my shameless brow-beating I could use a favor in return  :).

I'd love for you to try my mod and provide some feedback, a rating or comments if you have the time  ;D. Of course... It's entirely optional... I'm just happy to help a fellow forum-goer out!

If you do decide to check out the mod it's called Dwarf Fortress DIG DEEPER and you can find it here: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=35736.0

EDIT: Rats... Beaten to it  :P...
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2009, 11:14:04 am »

About halfway down. It says

[SHOW_EMBARK_WHATEVER:FINDER]

Change FINDER to ALWAYS.

EDIT: Damn, double ninja'd.

Elswyyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2009, 11:15:05 am »

This mod is no longer needed because now you can switch this feature on in the init file! Simply follow my easy-step guide:

1. Open the 'Dwarf Fortress' Folder.

2. Open the 'Data' folder.

3. Open the 'Init' folder.

4. Open the 'Init' file.

5. Scroll down to the part that reads:

[SHOW_EMBARK_RIVER:FINDER]
[SHOW_EMBARK_POOL:FINDER]
[SHOW_EMBARK_M_PIPE:FINDER]
[SHOW_EMBARK_M_POOL:FINDER]
[SHOW_EMBARK_CHASM:FINDER]
[SHOW_EMBARK_PIT:FINDER]
[SHOW_EMBARK_OTHER:FINDER]
[SHOW_EMBARK_TUNNEL:FINDER]

6. Replace this with:

[SHOW_EMBARK_RIVER:ALWAYS]
[SHOW_EMBARK_POOL:ALWAYS]
[SHOW_EMBARK_M_PIPE:ALWAYS]
[SHOW_EMBARK_M_POOL:ALWAYS]
[SHOW_EMBARK_CHASM:ALWAYS]
[SHOW_EMBARK_PIT:ALWAYS]
[SHOW_EMBARK_OTHER:ALWAYS]
[SHOW_EMBARK_TUNNEL:ALWAYS]

And there you have it!

Err... If you wouldn't mind my shameless brow-beating I could use a favor in return  :).

I'd love for you to try my mod and provide some feedback, a rating or comments if you have the time  ;D. Of course... It's entirely optional... I'm just happy to help a fellow forum-goer out!

If you do decide to check out the mod it's called Dwarf Fortress DIG DEEPER and you can find it here: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=35736.0

EDIT: Rats... Beaten to it  :P...

Thanks a lot!

I'll try out your mod when I've learned the game a bit better, I'm only on my second fortress yet so i don't want to mod anything like that yet. :)

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2009, 11:21:57 am »

Thanks a lot!

I'll try out your mod when I've learned the game a bit better, I'm only on my second fortress yet so i don't want to mod anything like that yet. :)

My pleasure and I look forward to hearing from you eventually. Good luck with your future fortresses and remember... Beware the spidery ones  8)!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Faenaris

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2009, 11:32:59 am »

And changing those settings will make the features available on the embark menu? Do you see extra icons on the map screens or is there a different menu?

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2009, 11:35:39 am »

And changing those settings will make the features available on the embark menu? Do you see extra icons on the map screens or is there a different menu?

You see them on the embark/local region screen. They'll be clearly visible and in plain site.

Faenaris

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2009, 12:34:34 pm »

You see them on the embark/local region screen. They'll be clearly visible and in plain site.

Much appreciated!